Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Basketball Thread 2018 - 19

homer
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NC State got screwed by the refs and probably deserved this game.

Pretty brutal if you ask me. Bad calls at the end of the game are just annoying.

Wisconsin should be pretty happy they won this one. They played like crap most of the first half, shot like crud at the line all game, and NC State was playing amazing. You think of all that and you’d guess Wisconsin lost by 15.

Davidson charges? The last one was questionable.

Yes. I have watched a lot of basketball and I have never seen a player take more than 3 charges, much less a guard. It is often a questionable call that refs will give some as a charge and others as a block.

On defense, Davison reminds me of Ricky Olson. He has that lateral quickness to get legal guarding position that is crucial to drawing the charge. He not at the Olson level yet but he is getting pretty darn close.

On defense, Davidson reminds me of Ricky Olson. He has that lateral quickness to get legal guarding position that is crucial to drawing the charge. He not at the Olson level yet but he is getting pretty darn close.

Wow... a Ricky Olson comp. Haven't heard that name in 30 years.

Care to elaborate? I think the only charge that was bogus was the one in the lane where the guy's leg basically grazed Davison. The first two were obvious. The guy put his shoulder in his chest on the last one. Davison is a great position defender. Teams are going to have to learn that putting your head down to get around him isn't going to work.

Davison is a good actor.

Sometimes when I see teams that like to do a little more "flopping" I wonder if that is just a player thing or if the team practices stuff like that. Maybe one guy rubs off on another? Not saying Wisconsin specifically, but it seems if a team has one guy who likes to really sell a foul there are many more on that team.

If you're talking about the last charge call drawn by Davison, that didn't decide the game. NC State was down 3 with under 20 seconds left at the time. It was a pretty smart play by Davison, really. Worst case scenario is you send NC State to the line to try and make a pair of FT's in a 1&1 bonus situation, to get within one.

A couple of those Davison charges were clear charges and a couple were iffy. One thing is forsure, Davison has put an even bigger target on his back and is going to have a hard time getting those calls from here on out- especially on the road. Coaches are going to be all over the officials before games to not fall for Davison's "flopping."

It doesn't get any easier for the Badgers going to Iowa tonight, then an improved Rutgers team at home, and at Marquette next weekend. Going 2-1 would be a success in this stretch and going 3-0 would be an amazing start to the season.

The problem is that you're never going to get a charging call if you don't hit the floor (with the exception being if there is major arm extension by the offensive player). A defender doesn't have to let the offensive guy run through him. The only option is to "sell" the actual foul by hitting the deck.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
On defense, Davidson reminds me of Ricky Olson. He has that lateral quickness to get legal guarding position that is crucial to drawing the charge. He not at the Olson level yet but he is getting pretty darn close.

Wow... a Ricky Olson comp. Haven't heard that name in 30 years.

Dude would have scored twice as many points (he scored over 1700) if the three point line had been around back in his day.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The problem is that you're never going to get a charging call if you don't hit the floor (with the exception being if there is major arm extension by the offensive player). A defender doesn't have to let the offensive guy run through him. The only option is to "sell" the actual foul by hitting the deck.

Thing is the defender is usually backpeddaling so falling down isn't much of a stretch. Just let momentum and gravity do their thing.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Right.

I admittedly would rather that officials err on the side of "no calls" vs turning the game into a foul fest, but offenses need to adjust to a guy like Davison who puts himself in position to be successful. It isn't legal to put your head down and drive through a defender.

Great road win over, Iowa. I like this team.

Davidson charges? The last one was questionable.

[attachment=0]089CC7F1-D486-4FEB-A9BF-F4973ADA11B5.jpeg[/attachment]

Looks like he lowers his shoulder into Davison to me.

I thought one in the lane was a block as it looked like he slide under as the secondary defender.

Great win at Iowa tonight, glad to see them overcome everything on the road at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Iowa has outperformed their preseason rankings so far (and so has Wisconsin), but seeing them play last night tells me that Iowa is good enough to win a lot of games in the Big Ten this year. I'd imagine that last night's win will look very good on Wisconsin's resume come March.

Wisconsin is doing a nice job of winning games that may end up looking great for them in the spring. If they beat Marquette, they're likely to head into the 'real' Big Ten season in January with only one loss.

Just saw Wisconsin really doesn't have much difficulty in their schedule until MID JANUARY. They should bode pretty well for them if they can stay focused and beat teams they should beat. I mean worst case mid-January they should have 3 losses at most...heck potentially just one. Of course after that their schedule gets pretty brutal, but at that point they should be going on all cylinders.

On defense, Davison reminds me of Ricky Olson. He has that lateral quickness to get legal guarding position that is crucial to drawing the charge. He not at the Olson level yet but he is getting pretty darn close.

He had one, maybe two of those in the state championship game. Much to the chagrin to the Stevens Point fans. Didn't appreciate at the time the quickness he possessed.

Just saw Wisconsin really doesn't have much difficulty in their schedule until MID JANUARY. They should bode pretty well for them if they can stay focused and beat teams they should beat. I mean worst case mid-January they should have 3 losses at most...heck potentially just one. Of course after that their schedule gets pretty brutal, but at that point they should be going on all cylinders.

At Marquette next Saturday is a tough game. I'm not sure this team is one that can look past anybody. If Happ or Trice is off they will struggle, although the supporting cast is looking stronger.

At Marquette next Saturday is a tough game. I'm not sure this team is one that can look past anybody. If Happ or Trice is off they will struggle, although the supporting cast is looking stronger.

I guess that is true, they aren't exactly a team flush with depth or guys who will be able to light it up when Happ/Trice struggle. Still their schedule the next month+ is pretty light.

I definitely think the Badgers will need to be a team to pull out many close/dramatic wins to be a threat in the B10 and get a higher seed come tourney time.

Marquette a slight favorite today, and I'd probably take them, but looking forward to it either way.

This reminds me of the vintage Badger teams (pre-Dekker and Big Frank). A lead guard who will take late-clock situation, a couple of good footwork big guys, and a bunch of role players that are going to need to defend and rebound. Good team basketball.

Archived