Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Basketball Thread 2018 - 19

homer
That's true but it's semantics. They could post the position, leave it up for two weeks as a formality and let random jabronis apply to it. This is what happens with every assistant football position, there isn't a truly open public application. If Barry would've said right away it was Gard's job that would've been it. Plus, the req is only like two weeks or 10 days. Post it the day Bo leaves, hire Gard officially two weeks later. Done, no drama. Barry didn't like his hand being forced though and apparently he wasn't totally sold on Gard. But then Gard turned that team around (remember it started horrible and shouldn't have made the tourney) and Barry had no choice. I think they announced it sometime in early March or late in the season.

Right, I don't think it would have created any issues had they posted the job. I was also under the impression that if you had named a successor you could forgo the process that has been cited, but either way, if the AD makes it known who the next Head Coach is going to be, the posting period doesn't really matter. And especially when it's a guy like Barry. He can certainly throw his weight around and name a HC. I know they did it in another sport just this year.

To be fair, at the time, I was on Bo's side. It seemed like he was ready to step down before the season that he actually did, there was some tension, Bo wanted Gard to take over, it seemed like Barry wanted to do a more comprehensive search, then whatever happened with Bo happened and he stepped down, team takes off and Barry is almost stuck with Gard at that point.

As much as I trust Barry as the AD, minus a few small mis-steps, I trusted Bo when he sang Gard's praises(as well as the players who said it was Gard who ran the practices IIRC).

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

I think Gard is a fine coach and I don't want to blame him for the current situation. He's doing exactly what was expected. But having tasted true success for a few years, I'm no longer satisfied with the typical Bo Ryan 4th place season. I want a coach who is going to consistently lead them on deep tournament runs.

They just don't have very many good players and there is no indication that more are coming. At the very least they need to shuffle the assistants. If the Wisconsin job was truly open there would be a long line of highly qualified candidates. Wisconsin has enough of a reputation to get a top tier coach. If 2020 is a repeat of 2019 I would pull the plug.

I think Gard is a fine coach and I don't want to blame him for the current situation. He's doing exactly what was expected. But having tasted true success for a few years, I'm no longer satisfied with the typical Bo Ryan 4th place season. I want a coach who is going to consistently lead them on deep tournament runs.

They just don't have very many good players and there is no indication that more are coming. At the very least they need to shuffle the assistants. If the Wisconsin job was truly open there would be a long line of highly qualified candidates. Wisconsin has enough of a reputation to get a top tier coach. If 2020 is a repeat of 2019 I would pull the plug.

Being a consistent top 4 team in the Big 10 is about as much as you can hope for. If you're consistently that good, something even more difficult now with Maryland, but if you're a top 4 B10 team now, the Badgers are going to be making some deep tourney runs. I for one would be 100 pct satisfied with that. That gives you the chances to go to back to back final 4's, beating what many considered one of the best college teams in recent history the previously undefeated UK team and losing a close game in the finals.

I looked back at that UK team BTW. That team would make a good NBA team right now. Willy Cauley-Stein, Karl Anthony-Towns, Devin Booker, Lyles and then a few others. Didn't realize Booker was on that team. I knew those Harrison twins were, not that they ended up doing anything. Not saying they're gonna run the Warriors out of the building or anything. In fact I'm not really saying anything other than marveling at the NBA talent UK produces year after year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Rule of unintended consequences. They tried to keep the best talent going to college and they produced the one-year-wonder teams like UK. Time to reverse that, let the HS players go to the NBA and development teams like the Badgers will be better off.

Rule of unintended consequences. They tried to keep the best talent going to college and they produced the one-year-wonder teams like UK. Time to reverse that, let the HS players go to the NBA and development teams like the Badgers will be better off.

I doubt it was intended, but that phrase suggests something that you can't really foresee. Couldn't everyone pretty much foresee this coming? I also don't think the 1 and done will change by letting guys go straight to the NBA. I think it should be similar to baseball. Either 3 years or go pro. Except I'd go 2 years.

You're still going to see the top available talent going to Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas and the like getting all those top talents.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There won't be as much elite talent if they all go pro out of high school. You'll have a ton of four star recruits of roughly the same ability. UK can only take three or four of those guys in a given year. The overall level of play will drop a bit but I think it will create more parity.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think the concept of teams (like UK especially) building whole teams around one-and-done players is a bit surprising.

I agree with that. It's surprising to see entire teams built like that. Coach K for a while was doing it with a core, the glue guys, the vets and then bringing in some stars.

Just look at who has come out of Kentucky the past 10 years. It seems like every good big has come from UK.

Now you have a draft in which 3 freshmen will go in the top 4(at least that's how it's now projected) all from the same school, plus a 4th who could be a lottery pick or at least a 1st rounder from Duke...the coach who seemed to dislike the early entries more than most.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived