Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to honor Fielder, Jenkins, Melvin and Dalton.

PinaMadness

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Two Jenkins stories:

1) I was at the game where he turned third and broke his ankle. You could hear him screaming from the Loge level

2) He was pulled from a game with "flu like symptoms" in St. Louis one time. The night before that game they celebrated his birthday. I'm guessing he didn't have the flu.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Personally I don't think Jenkins is worthy of the honor because he never really played on any good teams during his tenure here

That's not his fault. He's 11th in franchise history in bWAR. Granted that says more about our history than how great Jenkins was but he was still a good player for quite a while.

I'd rather see guys like Jenkins honored than another garbage celebration for the '82 team.

When Jenkins was on one of his hot streaks he was just astonishing to watch. I remember when Fielder Weeks etc first came up, Jenkins put it upon himself to handle all the media obligations so they the young guys could settle in easier. I always felt bad that his career ended right before we actually had a good team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jenkins was a good player for Milwaukee. I don't fault him for the bad teams. I really liked his effort on the field. If he could have hit lefties a bit better - and been luckier with his health - he would have been pretty special.

Community Moderator
When Jenkins was on one of his hot streaks he was just astonishing to watch. I remember when Fielder Weeks etc first came up, Jenkins put it upon himself to handle all the media obligations so they the young guys could settle in easier. I always felt bad that his career ended right before we actually had a good team.

Nah, I'm glad he got out and managed to get himself a World Series ring before retiring.

Melvin gets the honor, in my opinion, only because we've been a horrendously unsuccessful franchise. I thought he was a very mediocre GM who managed to screw up a great foundation given to him by his scouting director.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I was at the Jenkins game (I think against Montreal) when he hit three homers and five (I think) in a two game stretch. Provided some entertainment on some pretty bad brewers teams.

Geoff Jenkins had an opportunity in that game to do something no one has ever done in MLB history - hit for the home run cycle. He had a 1-run, 2-run, and 3-run HR in the books when he came to bat in the 7th inning with the bases loaded. He struck out looking.

Credit: Topper09er

I am not Shea Vucinich

One of my favorite memories was when Harry Dalton had a bunch of people at his Cave Creek, AZ home. A friend and I were in college and accompanied my parents to the party. When he found out I was a die-hard fan, he stepped away from the party and showed my friend and I his baseball memorabilia collection in his garage. There must have been 300 pieces in his garage--personal notes from players, etc.

Has anyone tried to go online to purchase tickets for this game? I keep getting an error that states,

"We're sorry. We are experiencing technical difficulties contacting the team's ticketing system.

Click here to go to the schedule if you wish to search for another game or alternative seats.

If you continue to receive this error, please contact Customer Service."

If I choose a different game I don't get the error.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I like Corey Hart, but Geoff Jenkins was a good player for the Brewers for a decade, and was arguably the face of the franchise for a good chunk of that. Corey Hart was a good player for the brewers for about 5-6 years. Anyone saying Jenkins isn't worthy of being honored by the Brewers is doing him a disservice.

I could be mixing stories but I was at the 3-HR game as well as his bobblehead game. I think they were the same game? But I can't confirm.

In any event, his bobble was the one that started bobble madness.

I was at the Jenkins game (I think against Montreal) when he hit three homers and five (I think) in a two game stretch. Provided some entertainment on some pretty bad brewers teams.

Geoff Jenkins had an opportunity in that game to do something no one has ever done in MLB history - hit for the home run cycle. He had a 1-run, 2-run, and 3-run HR in the books when he came to bat in the 7th inning with the bases loaded. He struck out looking.

Credit: Topper09er

Archived