Brewer Fanatic

Braun to Start at 1B vs Lefties

markedman5
Everyone talks about trading Santana but then we have less depth and still have 2 LF.

We'd still have Broxton and Phillips for depth, which is still pretty excellent. I'm not sure of many teams that would have those two guys forced into AAA the way we do.

Depends on what the alternative is. If Santana would net us a TOR arm I'd live with Yelich in right.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a firm believer that you will get more out of a player, production-wise, in 145-150 games than you would in 162 as long as you have quality players behind them (like we do). For me, it isn't about the iron-man streaks of saying you played 162 games it is the quality of output you get from playing those 162 versus 145-150. If I was a GM of a franchise or manager of a ball club, I would build my teams for this. It will only help players during that season and in the long run of their careers.

What I want to know is how much "rest" is a guy with the day off really getting? They are still coming to the ballpark at the same time, sitting out under the sun shagging balls, getting their practice at bats, stretching, have to be ready to pinch hit, etc, etc, etc.

Now if you told them not to come to the ballpark, then I could see that as a real rest.

I am a firm believer that you will get more out of a player, production-wise, in 145-150 games than you would in 162 as long as you have quality players behind them (like we do). For me, it isn't about the iron-man streaks of saying you played 162 games it is the quality of output you get from playing those 162 versus 145-150. If I was a GM of a franchise or manager of a ball club, I would build my teams for this. It will only help players during that season and in the long run of their careers.

What I want to know is how much "rest" is a guy with the day off really getting? They are still coming to the ballpark at the same time, sitting out under the sun shagging balls, getting their practice at bats, stretching, have to be ready to pinch hit, etc, etc, etc.

Now if you told them not to come to the ballpark, then I could see that as a real rest.

A lot of the rest days are a mental thing. Your mind is always working while playing the game. A rest day, or even playing in a partial game can do a guy plenty of good. But even beyond that point, it can also do the body good to not have to be on your feet for 3 hours in a night. I wouldn't push any of my players past the 150 mark. I just don't see a need for it if you have the depth on your team. And the Brewers, whether they trade Santana or not, have the depth to get this done.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It really all comes down to winning and health. If the team is winning, guys probably won't mind getting a few less starts. And if someone gets hurt, there isn't a problem with playing time. It may become a problem if everyone stays healthy and the team is losing, then you may see clubhouse problems. But given Braun, Crain and Thames history, it seems unlikely that everyone stays healthy.

I've always wondered that too. If I'm Craig and I'm planning on giving Braun a day off I tell to stay in the clubhouse until the game starts. No reason for him to stretch, throw, shag, and take BP if the whole idea is to give him a rest. For the most part I would guess the wear and tare on your body is from getting ready for the game and not actually playing the game, pitchers and catchers excluded.

Just throwing out a hypothetical situation.

What if, and I know it is not a realistic way to look at it, but what if none of our outfielders gets hurt, or misses a single game to to injury?

That would make things pretty interesting as to how the playing time is passed out.

It could actually happen if Braun gets as much rest as some are hoping for, not likely, but it is not impossible...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Just throwing out a hypothetical situation.

What if, and I know it is not a realistic way to look at it, but what if none of our outfielders gets hurt, or misses a single game to to injury?

That would make things pretty interesting as to how the playing time is passed out.

Don't forget about Thames.

Let's say Braun can play reasonably decent defense at firstbase. Sure, it's supposed to be a pretty strict platoon there for now, but if Thames were to go into those heavy slumps with tons of K's, i envision Braun taking some starts vs righthanded starters until Thames got back on track.

If healthy, Cain and Yelich will start 150 games or more. It's likely going to be Santana, Braun, and Thames who will battle for starts by their production.

Archived