Brewer Fanatic

Braun to Start at 1B vs Lefties

markedman5
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Giving Braun flexibility to get his healthy abs

I first read this as a comment on his fitness and core strength.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think if anything this confirms that Thames isn't going to be left out in the cold. He's on the probably 110 start side of the split.

If Thames continues to hit like he did in spring training, I think he will lose his starting role vs righties very quickly to Braun. I wouldn't pencil him for 110 starts just yet.

First it is spring training and secondary I don’t think we see Braun that much out there at 1B with how bad they still think he is. Only reason he will face LHP there is because he crushes it. I’m not so sure they think his bat is worth it against anything else quite yet. Thames will have a really long leash of time before Braun really starts stealing his entire role.

This really more about a 3 way battle between Santana, Braun & Thames vs RHP.

One would certainly hope and assume that Yelich & Cain will start 150 games. Santana in RF and Braun at 1B vs LHP.

I'm not convinced that either Thames or Braun can outproduce Santana vs RHP. We'll see.

History show us that both Cain & Braun will miss 30+ games, more than likely, due to injuries, which will provide opportunities to everyone.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Braun being able to play both the outfield and first base does add to not only his value to the Brewers, it allows greater interest with contending clubs seeking a bat at the midseason trade deadline...

Kind of a moot point though as his trade market is a total of 1 team (Dodgers).

I think if anything this confirms that Thames isn't going to be left out in the cold. He's on the probably 110 start side of the split.

If Thames continues to hit like he did in spring training, I think he will lose his starting role vs righties very quickly to Braun. I wouldn't pencil him for 110 starts just yet.

First it is spring training and secondary I don’t think we see Braun that much out there at 1B with how bad they still think he is. Only reason he will face LHP there is because he crushes it. I’m not so sure they think his bat is worth it against anything else quite yet. Thames will have a really long leash of time before Braun really starts stealing his entire role.

Craig Counsell said Ryan Braun will start at 1B against lefties but said this about Eric Thames: "He's going to figure prominently into our offense for sure this year. I don't see Eric losing any playing time in this situation. Nothing's changed for Eric."

I am taking Hernan Perez over Eric Sogard. Both suck as hitters, but at least Perez can play more positions.

Let me know when Perez can post an OBP near .400 over a 300 PA season.

I suppose you should check out Eric Sogard’s 2nd half stats.

If Santana's awful spring carries over into the regular season, I don't think we'll see Braun all that much at 1B.. That's another reason to hang on to Aguilar at least for a while. Santana has been nothing short of brutal this spring, fanning 24 times vs. 2 BB. You give him the benefit of the doubt with a clean slate to open the season, but if we go 6 weeks into the season and he's still fanning every other AB, then you play an OF of Braun, Cain, and Yelich and stick Aguilar at 1B vs LHP.

If Santana starts hitting like we know he's capable of, then Aguilar becomes more expendable. But I'll take Aguilar for insurance even if it means one less guy in the pen for now.

Thames had never played 1B in college or the minors or the majors before moving overseas, he only started playing 1B in Korea. Thames previously only played LF/OF, while Braun had at least played in the infield in college and the minors. If Braun is given more time working on 1B, I think he could be better than Thames at 1B going forward.

The career numbers show that Braun is a better hitter than Thames, so I don't quite agree that his bat is not worth it yet. Yelich and Cain and Braun have all hit really well in spring training. Counsell may change his tune if Thames continues to hit like he did in spring training. Hopefully Thames start mashing the ball when the season starts or he could risk losing his starting spot.

If Santana's awful spring carries over into the regular season, I don't think we'll see Braun all that much at 1B.. That's another reason to hang on to Aguilar at least for a while. Santana has been nothing short of brutal this spring, fanning 24 times vs. 2 BB. You give him the benefit of the doubt with a clean slate to open the season, but if we go 6 weeks into the season and he's still fanning every other AB, then you play an OF of Braun, Cain, and Yelich and stick Aguilar at 1B vs LHP.

If Santana starts hitting like we know he's capable of, then Aguilar becomes more expendable. But I'll take Aguilar for insurance even if it means one less guy in the pen for now.

Ummm....

Even if you take Santanas 2016 stats at 23 and extrapolate them out he's no worse than Aguilar. Im pretty sure you could find a bad stretch in Santanas stellar 2017 that rivals this stretch. You are not benching a 25 year old coming off a monster offensive season to play Aguilar.

I can see not wanting to throw Aguilar away for nothing, or hoping after rosters are set that you can sneak him to CS. But he has nothing to do with Santana.

Someone is going to miss a lot of starts until we have an injury, and Thames seems like he'd be the guy to sit most.

As you quoted, Thames will be getting plenty of start since most pitchers are righty. The guy who is going to sit the most is Santana which we all already knew because against RHP the OF will be Braun, Yelich, Cain most days. I am wondering who is playing LF/RF in that starting group.

So who between Braun or Yelich is playing RF on a regular basis? Cuz it really sounds like Thames will be at 1B whenever facing a RHP SP.

Even if they don't start you would think the 4 OF will all get at least 1 AB per day or more. If we start Yellich/Cain/Santana in the OF and Braun at 1B I'm sure we will switch to Braun/Cain/Yellich or some other better defensive switch later in the game. At the very least there will be a PH by the non-starter at some point each day. They will find ways to keep the AB numbers where they want them until there is an injury.

Ryan Braun is going to play zero RF. Counsell already stated that.

But then he also said Braun would play some RF towards the end of ST.

per Adam McCalvy:

Another new(ish) position on deck for Ryan Braun, who expects to see some time in right field before the end of camp. He played two seasons there in 2014-15. All about versatility as the Brewers try to find ABs for all of their outfielders.

Per TomH:

Of Braun perhaps playing some RF in camp, Counsell said, "It's something he's offered to do. There could be scenarios during the season, depending on our configuration. It's not something we need to spend a lot of time preparing for."

But he never did jump out to RF. He played 8 games at first and 4 at LF.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

per Adam McCalvy:

Another new(ish) position on deck for Ryan Braun, who expects to see some time in right field before the end of camp. He played two seasons there in 2014-15. All about versatility as the Brewers try to find ABs for all of their outfielders.

Per TomH:

Of Braun perhaps playing some RF in camp, Counsell said, "It's something he's offered to do. There could be scenarios during the season, depending on our configuration. It's not something we need to spend a lot of time preparing for."

Ah ok... But yes that is what I read.

Then I guess our lineups will look like this...

Vs RHP

Cain, CF

Yelich, RF

Braun, LF

Shaw, 3B

Thames, 1B

Pina, C

Villar, 2B

Arcia, SS

Vs LHP

Cain, CF

Yelich, LF

Braun, 1B

Shaw, 3B

Santana, RF

Villar, 2B

Pina, C

Arcia, SS

I’d guess it would be in a very very unpreferred situation just because they were pretty adamant when they said no Braun in RF. His RF defense was tragic. Domingo Santana would have to underperform quite badly to push him out of that spot. If Braun is mashing I bet he steals Thames ABs vs. Santana ABs.

Braun is a better RF than Santana. Not that it’s saying much.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

per Adam McCalvy:

Per TomH:

Are we still pretending that Braun isn't the player that is getting pinched?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'd argue (based on solely batting splits, because obv defense throws a wrench into this) Cain may be getting pinched more than people think.

2016/17 Splits:

[pre]vs. LHP

-------

LF Yelich .276/.329/.390/.719

CF Cain .315/.377/.525/.902

RF Santana .295/.394/.514/.909

1B Braun .310/.387/.563/.950

BN Thames .182/.270/.394/.664

vs. RHP

-------

LF Braun .283/.341/.501/.843

CF Yelich .295/.387/.485/.872

RF Santana .262/.350/.476/.826

1B Thames .265/.382/.551/.933

BN Cain .289/.346/.399/.745[/pre]

Again, I don't think Cain is actually going to flat out sit against righties, in fact I'm sure he'll be out there 80+% of the time still because of his D, but I think Cain, Braun, and Santana will all get their share of rest there. And against lefties, you may see Yelich sit here and there in favor of someone like Aguilar (if he makes the team) or even Perez (.295/.319/.469/.788 vs. LHP past two seasons).

In all, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out because Braun, Yelich, Santana, and Cain are everyday starters on almost every team regardless of pitcher, and Thames should be in there everyday against righties. So everyone's going to feel the squeeze unless something changes.

Last season we got 2,877 PAs from the 1/2/3/5 spots. I'll assume Shaw gets most of the cleanup PAs again. That's about 577 PAs each evenly distributed for five guys. Of course the guys at the top of the order (Cain/Yelich/Braun) would have more opportunities to accrue PAs than the guys likely to hit 5th when they're in the lineup (Thames/Domingo).

Our OBPs in those same spots were 320/384/330/333, three of those four should be relatively easy to improve upon which could also yield additional PAs for everyone.

We also recorded 283 pinch hit PAs last season. With one of the 5 OF/1B bats on the bench every game that should be another source of PAs.

If everyone is healthy all year (they won't be) there should be no problem getting five qualifiers out of those four positions/lineup spots.

I'd argue (based on solely batting splits, because obv defense throws a wrench into this) Cain may be getting pinched more than people think.

2016/17 Splits:

[pre]vs. LHP

-------

LF Yelich .276/.329/.390/.719

CF Cain .315/.377/.525/.902

RF Santana .295/.394/.514/.909

1B Braun .310/.387/.563/.950

BN Thames .182/.270/.394/.664

vs. RHP

-------

LF Braun .283/.341/.501/.843

CF Yelich .295/.387/.485/.872

RF Santana .262/.350/.476/.826

1B Thames .265/.382/.551/.933

BN Cain .289/.346/.399/.745[/pre]

Again, I don't think Cain is actually going to flat out sit against righties, in fact I'm sure he'll be out there 80+% of the time still because of his D, but I think Cain, Braun, and Santana will all get their share of rest there. And against lefties, you may see Yelich sit here and there in favor of someone like Aguilar (if he makes the team) or even Perez (.295/.319/.469/.788 vs. LHP past two seasons).

In all, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out because Braun, Yelich, Santana, and Cain are everyday starters on almost every team regardless of pitcher, and Thames should be in there everyday against righties. So everyone's going to feel the squeeze unless something changes.

Giving Cain a little extra rest here and there may not be the worst idea in the world.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived