Brewer Fanatic

Braun to Start at 1B vs Lefties

markedman5
Just because Braun starts the game at 1B doesn't mean he finishes the game there. I still think they keep Aguilar because he's the best PH they have and they don't need 3 2b either. Perez' all over the field role is greatly diminished. Shaw and Arcia rarely sits and the OF is crowded. So either he or Villar platoons with Sogard. One will be gone. Since Perez is more versatile that makes Villar vulnerable. Maybe they can get a lefty reliever for him.

Stop it. Stop making every damn thread about your Villar hating agenda. It is so damn tiring that every year you do this with certain players.

This is exactly what has changed with this message board over the past few years- posts like these. Briggs, a long time poster, made a post that was insightful and gets told to stop it because of his "agenda." We all don't like certain players and we give opinions of that on here. Do we need to be the Police to tell him to stop posting his feelings on a subject? This post just gives his rationale for who is kept and who is vulnerable? Why do we want to "Stop it"?

You are obviously don’t read every damn post of his that somehow, magically he connects some dots to either Villar being non tendered or cut. It doesn’t matter what thread it it, he does it. It’s beyond annoying. He does it every year. Every single year he finds something he disagrees with and beats the issue to death and hikacks threads while doing so. Insightful? Please.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because Braun starts the game at 1B doesn't mean he finishes the game there. I still think they keep Aguilar because he's the best PH they have and they don't need 3 2b either. Perez' all over the field role is greatly diminished. Shaw and Arcia rarely sits and the OF is crowded. So either he or Villar platoons with Sogard. One will be gone. Since Perez is more versatile that makes Villar vulnerable. Maybe they can get a lefty reliever for him.

Stop it. Stop making every damn thread about your Villar hating agenda. It is so damn tiring that every year you do this with certain players.

Bolding the part you may have missed.

Unless Villar has changed his first name to One and I'm not aware of it, I took that to mean one of the three 2B (either Perez, Sogard, or Villar) will be gone but the exact one not specified.

That is the point, every poster repeats himself maybe about needing more starting pitching, or that they wanted Scooter, or how we need another Shouse. We don't need to waste space calling the poster out as we tend to do more often now than the older days. So what he doesn't like Villar? The point he made has merit and I am sure the counterpoint does as well. The post in between doesn't add anything to the discussion is all.....

I still do not comprehend that there isn't "A" deal out there somewhere that would help unclog this jam we have. IMO it's absolutely ridiculous to have one of Braun/Thames/Santana sitting on the bench every day. I guess if somebody gets hurt we're set but this seems like such a waste.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't see anything wrong with Briggs' post.

Had he mentioned Khris Davis or Scooter Gennett then you'd have a good point. :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not sure one season of pinch hitting means he's really good at it or it was just just small sample size noise. I'm also concerned that his pinch hitting ability is related to his overall playing time. That is something he won't have with Braun taking his starts at first. I get your desire to have a good pinch hitter but isn't the need for that somewhat mitigated by the fact one of Braun, Santana, Cain, Yelich or Thames are on the bench every day? If I had to choose between someone taking a roster spot just for pinch hitting or using that spot to have more options on the position with the most question marks on the team I'd take the latter. In places we don't have a known quantity then I'm all for having a lot of options. If they can get a lefty reliever for one of them fine. But I think the chances of that are about as good as me getting a spot in the rotation. I am left handed though soo... :laughing

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm not sure one season of pinch hitting means he's really good at it or it was just just small sample size noise. I'm also concerned that his pinch hitting ability is related to his overall playing time. That is something he won't have with Braun taking his starts at first. I get your desire to have a good pinch hitter but isn't the need for that somewhat mitigated by the fact one of Braun, Santana, Cain, Yelich or Thames are on the bench every day? If I had to choose between someone taking a roster spot just for pinch hitting or using that spot to have more options on the position with the most question marks on the team I'd take the latter. In places we don't have a known quantity then I'm all for having a lot of options. If they can get a lefty reliever for one of them fine. But I think the chances of that are about as good as me getting a spot in the rotation. I am left handed though soo... :laughing

Yeah, I don't see us keeping Aguilar when it would mean that on many days we would have two guys on the bench who really can only play first base. That would be very limiting. Aguilar can outhit any of Villar, Sogard, and Perez, but their versatility keeps them on the roster.

The roster is pretty well set. The only questions are which two of Suter, Guerra, Woodruff will be the 4/5 starters, maybe a bullpen spot, and who will be the extra guy if they keep an extra bench bat for the first week or so until they call up the #5 starter.

I would be shocked if we traded anyone other than Broxton and / or Aguilar, and that would be for minor leaguers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I didn't get any sense of hate in Briggs' thread. I did in yours, though, including the cursing.

I haven't agreed with Briggs on every topic, but he may write every one of his threads about Villar. In fact, I'll hit the dead horse with Briggs until CC wakes up and plays Sogard until he proves he cannot play.

I don't have a problem with Briggs post. I think he is wrong.......but he is entitled to his opinion.

I see no way that they keep Aguilar, Braun and Thames. If 1 gets hurt in the first 10 days then yeah.....otherwise he is gone imo.

Villar, Sogard and Perez will all be on the roster. CC values position versatility with a short bench.... Aguilar doesn't have that and isn't on a multi year deal.

This is exactly what has changed with this message board over the past few years- posts like these. Briggs, a long time poster, made a post that was insightful and gets told to stop it because of his "agenda." We all don't like certain players and we give opinions of that on here. Do we need to be the Police to tell him to stop posting his feelings on a subject? This post just gives his rationale for who is kept and who is vulnerable? Why do we want to "Stop it"?

Yep.

Wasn’t there talk of the 4 man rotation at the start of the season allowing them to delay (lets be honest) dump Aguilar? Then if an injury happens it could be even longer. If I remember right it didn’t take Braun long last year to be hurt.

This isn’t a new development though. Aguilar was good as gone after Braun got pushed to play a bunch of 1B.

Regarding Villar, he is the starting 2B. I don’t think he is going anywhere...especially to make space to keep Aguilar.

My initial reaction to this was that there is no way they would keep Aguilar over one of the middle infielders, but I thought about it for a while and I actually like the idea.

Sogard can cover SS or 3b if needed, probably only necessary a half dozen times a year unless a DL stint is involved. Villar can fill in at SS or 3b also in an emergency situation(although it wouldn't be pretty), even with 2 1/2 first basemen on the roster you would still have all star level outfielders at every position and if needed Braun can move from 1b to OF during the game if Aguilar or Thames would be involved in a double switch or something.

I don't think this team really needs 2 utility infielders. Basically keeping Aguilar and cutting Perez is the same backup situation we had last year, except our utilty guy is Sogard and our 4th outfielder is a rotation of Braun/Santana/Cain/Yelich instead of Captain Kirk. Massive upgrades to the bench in my opinion.

I'm not sure Aguilar brings a ton of value as one of Thames/Braun/Santana will likely be available to pinch hit every day, but I think he might bring more value than Perez.

Still don't think it's likely to happen but I think it's a great thought.

-edit

If they do something like this, what about keeping Brett Philips instead of Aguilar?

I only got to the 2nd post in this thread and then could not focus. How bad is San Diego that Clayton Richard is their opening day starter?!? I'm in an 11 owner NL only fantasy baseball league and Clayton Richard is usually one of the 3 or 4 starters that is available in the "undrafted" pile.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I would prefer Villar, Perez, Aguilar. I know there is almost no chance that happens though.

I expect Aguilar to stay until the 5th starter is needed. Would be nice to have him even exclusively as a PH but know that's not realistic in the NL

I think if anything this confirms that Thames isn't going to be left out in the cold. He's on the probably 110 start side of the split.

If Thames continues to hit like he did in spring training, I think he will lose his starting role vs righties very quickly to Braun. I wouldn't pencil him for 110 starts just yet.

I think if anything this confirms that Thames isn't going to be left out in the cold. He's on the probably 110 start side of the split.

If Thames continues to hit like he did in spring training, I think he will lose his starting role vs righties very quickly to Braun. I wouldn't pencil him for 110 starts just yet.

I just don't put a lot into ST numbers. Thames had a pretty mediocre spring last season and then looked like an MVP in April. He hits righty pitching quite well. He should just never face LHP.

I know if Braun can swing a good bat, we're going to want him in there every day, but the fact of the matter is that it is definitely in our best interests long-term to not overwork him, even when he's hot. We know what he can do when he's healthy. We also know he's extremely fragile. 2 maintenance days a week at times would not be surprising.

That's still 110 starts for Braun or about 500 PAs. I know that seems light, but if that means he stays 100% all year, I'd much rather go that route than having ailments pop up and having to either DL him or play through it ineffectively.

Remember that game last year where Braun was clearly back in the lineup injured and lollipopped every throw in from LF? There's no reason to have that ever happen this year. We have the depth to avoid it. There aren't any Kirk Nieuwenhuis' types filling in the OF now.

I am taking Hernan Perez over Eric Sogard. Both suck as hitters, but at least Perez can play more positions.

I'm taking Eric Sogard over Perez. Perez versatility was a huge asset in 2016 and 2017, but is a less needed one now. There's plenty of OF depth, Sogard and Villar can cover the infield well enough, and there's Dubon, Orf and Franklin in AAA should multiple injuries hit.

For his career, Sogard is a better hitter than Perez (78 wRC+ vs 73 wRC+) and if the Brewers have reason to believe at least some of the 2017 breakout is real (Due to a more selective approach, perhaps due to a fully healthy knee, or whatever) then the difference may be even bigger going forward. Sogard is also a lefty. Then there's also the consideration of what to get in return; Perez, due to age, versatility and contract status, would likely get a better return in a trade.

Basically I think that Perez is the more valuable player overall, but the Brewers are currently in a position where that extra value comes in areas where it's not as needed anymore, and where trading Perez and keeping Sogard is the more prudent move right now. Mind you, this is all hypothetical; I'd keep them both and move Aguilar instead to start the season.

Giving Braun flexibility to get his healthy abs while playing several positions basically eliminates the logjam many are currently worried about. Contrary to some opinions, if Braun is healthy he is still the best offensive player on this team, and he won't be sitting games solely because there is a righty starter on the mound. I'd call it a soft platoon where a healthy Braun is the primary option at either left or 1b unless he needs a day off. If thames scuffles out if the gate I can see his abs dwindle if both Braun and santana are healthy and hitting.

That said, he should get at least 1 game off a week to stay fresh and try to avoid nagging issues. I also agree that perez's best value is diminished by just how much versatility the roster will appear to have - although I'd want him on the roster as the primary backup 3b option

First it is spring training and secondary I don’t think we see Braun that much out there at 1B with how bad they still think he is. Only reason he will face LHP there is because he crushes it. I’m not so sure they think his bat is worth it against anything else quite yet. Thames will have a really long leash of time before Braun really starts stealing his entire role.

Archived