Brewer Fanatic

Braun to Start at 1B vs Lefties

markedman5

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per TH: Counsell is happy with how Ryan Braun has handled 1B this spring and said Braun will start there against lefties.

Brewers face a lefty — Clayton Richard — on Opening Day.

Braun will start at 1B on Opening Day.

“That’s some investigative journalism there,” CC said.

Saw this on twitter and in the Spring Training thread and was curious on everyone's thoughts as this is actually happening. I am all for it but will be curious in how the final roster breaks down as what are we going to do with Aguilar?

The only drama is whether he can actually do it. It's great news that CC has faith in him. Can't wait to see him play there in real games. Aguilar has to be gone i would think.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I have been paying less attention to the day-to-day goings on of Spring Training, but what was the drama on this? Seemed like the logical thing they'd do, but Aguilar's status is the one mystery of all of this.

Yeah this is pretty much in line with what the expectation was. Recently we were figuring on 50 or so starts at 1st which i would guess is roughly in line with the number of lefty starters faced per year.

Brewers manager Craig Counsell announced that Ryan Braun will play first base against left-handed pitchers in 2018.

Eric Thames will get the starts at first against right-handers. That means that Braun will start at first on Opening Day, as Milwaukee will face San Diego and Clayton Richard. Braun has reportedly had a shaky start defensively at the position, but he's made enough progress to justify putting his bat there. First base could end up being the 34-year-old's long-term position, but it appears for now he'll just be there against southpaws. We'll see if things change as the year progresses.

Source: Adam McCalvy on TwitterMar 23 - 1:49 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think if anything this confirms that Thames isn't going to be left out in the cold. He's on the probably 110 start side of the split.

For now, but Braun isn't going to sit too much. Someone is going to miss a lot of starts until we have an injury, and Thames seems like he'd be the guy to sit most.

There are worse things than having excess talent, but we are going to have a really good bat sitting on the bench every day.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Aguilar has to be gone i would think.

That's my first thought. I appreciate what he did last year, but he's such a limited player it makes him expendable at this point.

I think start with a four-man rotation until #5 is needed a week-and-a-half or so into the season. This will allow us to keep an eight-man pen and a five-man bench.

This would allow us to hold onto Aguilar for a while if we wanted. That could protect us some in case someone got hurt early. Otherwise, the spot could go to Broxton.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I also wish there was a way to keep Aguilar on the roster, but it's really hard to argue that a Thames/Braun platoon isn't an improvement over Thames/Aguilar. With their splits, we could be getting a ton of production out of first this year.

It feels weird because there will always be a border-line all-star level player on the bench with this team, but between upgrading to Thames/Braun at first and going from Braun/Broxton/Santana/Brinson to Yelich/Cain/Santana/Braun in the outfield, this team is loaded. LET THE SEASON BEGIN!

I think if anything this confirms that Thames isn't going to be left out in the cold. He's on the probably 110 start side of the split.

Someone is going to miss a lot of starts until we have an injury, and Thames seems like he'd be the guy to sit most.

As you quoted, Thames will be getting plenty of start since most pitchers are righty. The guy who is going to sit the most is Santana which we all already knew because against RHP the OF will be Braun, Yelich, Cain most days. I am wondering who is playing LF/RF in that starting group.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This sure came out of left field...

I got that :)

yes, nicely done.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The great thing is this will all be decided by production. If any of Thames, Braun, Santana stinks or gets hurt.. this all gets decided pretty easily. I could see Braun playing so well at 1B that he just becomes a permanent player there. I could also see him missing 80 games. We’ll soon find out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Aguilar has to be gone i would think.

That's my first thought. I appreciate what he did last year, but he's such a limited player it makes him expendable at this point.

The only way I forsee him remaining a Brewer is if any one of Braun, Thames, Yelich, Cain or Santana get hurt during the first 8 games. Or Aguilar himself, I suppose.

Just because Braun starts the game at 1B doesn't mean he finishes the game there. I still think they keep Aguilar because he's the best PH they have and they don't need 3 2b either. Perez' all over the field role is greatly diminished. Shaw and Arcia rarely sits and the OF is crowded. So either he or Villar platoons with Sogard. One will be gone. Since Perez is more versatile that makes Villar vulnerable. Maybe they can get a lefty reliever for him.

Just because Braun starts the game at 1B doesn't mean he finishes the game there. I still think they keep Aguilar because he's the best PH they have and they don't need 3 2b either. Perez' all over the field role is greatly diminished. Shaw and Arcia rarely sits and the OF is crowded. So either he or Villar platoons with Sogard. One will be gone. Since Perez is more versatile that makes Villar vulnerable. Maybe they can get a lefty reliever for him.

Stop it. Stop making every damn thread about your Villar hating agenda. It is so damn tiring that every year you do this with certain players.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Someone is going to miss a lot of starts until we have an injury, and Thames seems like he'd be the guy to sit most.

As you quoted, Thames will be getting plenty of start since most pitchers are righty. The guy who is going to sit the most is Santana which we all already knew because against RHP the OF will be Braun, Yelich, Cain most days. I am wondering who is playing LF/RF in that starting group.

Santana will sit quite a bit, but he did hit .276/.364/.505/.870 vs RHP as a 24 year old. Meanwhile Braun had an .808 OPS vs RHP, Thames had a .933 OPS vs RHP, Cain had a .797 OPS vs RHP and Yelich had an .837 OPS vs RHP.

It's good to have talent, but it's a shame that we have to sit one of these guys every day.

~Bill Walsh

I certainly don't think Santana will sit the most, he will face all lefties and I'm not counting on Braun starting 3 games in a row during a series very often anymore.

Last year the Brewers faced 128 RH starters and 34 LH starters. Of course if you assume injuries that will dictate who plays, but under normal conditions to start the year it looks like Santana is going to sit the most out of Thames, Braun and him. Game 2 of the season he will not be starting.

Stop it. Stop making every damn thread about your Villar hating agenda. It is so damn tiring that every year you do this with certain players.

This is exactly what has changed with this message board over the past few years- posts like these. Briggs, a long time poster, made a post that was insightful and gets told to stop it because of his "agenda." We all don't like certain players and we give opinions of that on here. Do we need to be the Police to tell him to stop posting his feelings on a subject? This post just gives his rationale for who is kept and who is vulnerable? Why do we want to "Stop it"?

Archived