Brewer Fanatic

Zach Wheeler

DR28

That was Doug Melvin that nearly had Wheeler and the crybaby 3B (can't think of his name right now) for Gomez. Then, the Mets backed out of the deal and a day or two later we deal Gomez/Fiers to Houston for Hader/Phillips/Domingo/Houser. Yeah, guess that worked out pretty good for us!

What is Wheeler even worth right now? I wouldn't be opposed to taking a flyer on a guy like that, but I wouldn't want to give up too much. How about Broxton for Wheeler?

Not so sure I'd be interested in Wheeler. Missed two seasons and came back with a 5.21 ERA, 1.58 WHIP and 5.03 FIP. What is more concerning is that, after the Jason Vargas injury, it appeared there was no way Wheeler could pitch himself out of the Met's rotation. But now it appears he did exactly that.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-zack-wheelers-struggles-continue/c-269444434

His velocity was back last season, but I have no idea where it was during the spring.

Despite all that negative stuff, I doubt the Mets would let him go for cheap because he has two options left. The Mets will probably be perfectly content to ship him to AAA and see if he can figure it out there. I highly doubt that they would be interested in Broxton because they already have Cespedes, Bruce, Lagares, Conforto and Nimmo in the outfield.

That was Doug Melvin that nearly had Wheeler and the crybaby 3B (can't think of his name right now) for Gomez. Then, the Mets backed out of the deal and a day or two later we deal Gomez/Fiers to Houston for Hader/Phillips/Domingo/Houser. Yeah, guess that worked out pretty good for us!

Wilmer Flores.

What is Wheeler even worth right now? I wouldn't be opposed to taking a flyer on a guy like that, but I wouldn't want to give up too much. How about Broxton for Wheeler?

Ahh that's right it was Melvin... And then we fleeced Stearns.

Got it now.

Ahh that's right it was Melvin... And then we fleeced Stearns Luhnow.

Got it now.

Now you got it. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wheeler is exactly the kind of high risk/reward starter that I'd love to take a shot on if it was cheap. He's supposedly healthy but struggling. Maybe DJ could fix this, I don't know, but he's got a much higher ceiling than his career performances indicates. I'd be fine with shipping the Mets any of Broxton, Perez, or Aguilar. He's also controlled for 2019 if he were to figure it out -- perhaps 2020 too if he spends enough time down in AAA this year.

However, I agree with Joseph in that they probably would rather just keep Wheeler down at AAA rather than sell him cheap.

Thank Goodness the Mets bailed us out.

The Astros might be the best trade in Brewers history and it almost didn't happen.

Certainly you're not remembering Tyler Thornburg for Travis Shaw, Mauricio Dubon, Josh Pennington, and Yeison Coca...

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Thank Goodness the Mets bailed us out.

The Astros might be the best trade in Brewers history and it almost didn't happen.

Certainly you're not remembering Tyler Thornburg for Travis Shaw, Mauricio Dubon, Josh Pennington, and Yeison Coca...

I'm sure he does. Don't be condescending. The Red Sox deal was good as well, but the Astros deal has been terrific, and could very well prove to be franchise-changing, especially if Phillips matures and Houser comes back strong. If Santana either follows up his year last year with another great year, or is dealt for a high-value return, that's an even bigger bonus.

Wheeler is exactly the kind of high risk/reward starter that I'd love to take a shot on if it was cheap. He's supposedly healthy but struggling. Maybe DJ could fix this, I don't know, but he's got a much higher ceiling than his career performances indicates. I'd be fine with shipping the Mets any of Broxton, Perez, or Aguilar. He's also controlled for 2019 if he were to figure it out -- perhaps 2020 too if he spends enough time down in AAA this year.

However, I agree with Joseph in that they probably would rather just keep Wheeler down at AAA rather than sell him cheap.

If I were the Mets i'd laugh Stearns right off the phone for just one of those guys...they MIGHT take Aguilar but we'd have to at least give them something like a Ponce or Houser to go with. Not sure that I wouldn't entertain the option at least either.

Santana+Hader+Phillips>>>>> Shaw plus the rest

I would certainly enjoy reading your reasoning for that other trade being better. Yes, I know we sent them Fiers as well but Gomez was the headliner.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Santana+Hader+Phillips>>>>> Shaw plus the rest

I would certainly enjoy reading your reasoning for that other trade being better. Yes, I know we sent them Fiers as well but Gomez was the headliner.

Don't sleep on Houser being a MLB contributor as well. He was also a big time prospect before going under the knife, and has looked very good in both the fall league and spring training.

Fully agreed. It's amazing how with 1 or 2 bad seasons, or one injury, and people write someone off as if they'll never achieve. If you look at only a person's first few years, most baseball stars would have been given up on.

Archived