Brewer Fanatic

What's the one move you wish we would have made?

brewerfan82

Past seasons wish: they had traded for Verlander last year in August after he cleared waivers. Or just claimed him outright. Like I wanted them to at the time.

This off season wish: Right after trading for Yelich and signing Cain the rumors were theyd trade for Archer and sign Arrieta. Just the thought of that happening made me feel like the Brewers were becoming the new Yankees.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Past seasons wish: they had traded for Verlander last year in August after he cleared waivers. Or just claimed him outright. Like I wanted them to at the time.

This off season wish: Right after trading for Yelich and signing Cain the rumors were theyd trade for Archer and sign Arrieta. Just the thought of that happening made me feel like the Brewers were becoming the new Yankees.

Verlander was hesitant to even waive his no-trade clause to go to Houston. Think it would have taken a pretty miracle pitch on the part of DS to get him here.

Fully aware he had the no trade, we're wishing here though right? Or are these supposed to be more plausible? Clearly JV made the right call if he had other options.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I wish we would have done something else. It’s hard to know what specifically because we have no idea what the trade possibilities were and the costs. FA signings are a little easier to guess on what we could have done.

Jake Arrieta - A realistic chance to add a TOR arm in not retrospect looked like an enticing idea. The contract he got was doable by us if we could have gotten him for similar.

Lance Lynn - In the retrospect down the road we could quickly regret not getting in on him for a one year commitment. Unless you like to cry over lost draft picks...then probably never. I would have been really tempted to sign him.

Fully aware he had the no trade, we're wishing here though right? Or are these supposed to be more plausible? Clearly JV made the right call if he had other options.

Plausible is preferred unless otherwise stated. You Darvish on a 4/$56mil deal would have been my wish. See...silly.

I didn't think I was being that silly but ok. They did have a chance to claim him outright off waivers and if I remember right weren't the Tigers rumored to not pull him back? Big contract but I wanted the guy.

I would have liked to see Santana or Thames as part of a trade package to acquire a starting pitcher. OF course, this could still happen.

I would also have liked to see Broxton traded. I like him, but we don't really have the right spot for him. He would make a great starting CF for a mediocre team. I hope he gets moved for his sake. I'm a fan, and I'd like to see how his career turns out.

I didn't think I was being that silly but ok. They did have a chance to claim him outright off waivers and if I remember right weren't the Tigers rumored to not pull him back? Big contract but I wanted the guy.

If a player has a no trade clause they have to accept the transaction even if you claim them and the team doesn’t pull them back. It’s more than just a no-trade clause.

Trading Santana is the one move I wish we'd made. It was something I was in favour of even at the trade deadline (Though there was obviously a stronger case for keeping him then as well). I know the market seemingly wasn't there, but I'm really not a big believer in him nor his fit on this roster at the moment so I'd have taken whatever was there; I don't think his value will ever be higher. Might not have gotten us a ready-made rotation piece, but perhaps a good pitching prospect like the Parra-Davies trade? Perhaps a catching upgrade. But again, I don't know what kind of offers were actually out there; they might have been too low even for someone who rates Santana like I do.

Darvish, I wanted him from the moment the offseason started. I knew it would be tough to get him, but thought they had a chance. Ended up they did and made a formal offer, but he chose the Cubs. Now the Brewers have to pound him and the Cubs and make him regret the decision :)

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived