Brewer Fanatic

Alex Cobb to the Orioles

pogokat
I'm a fan too but I'm never going to accept that the back end of the rotation is anything other than horse fodder and that ain't cause I want to lose.

Brandon Woodruff lead all of the minor leagues in strikeouts in 2016 & was our top pitching prospect entering 2017. He posted half a win in 43 MLB innings last year.

Brent Suter has never been confused for a top prospect, but has gotten people out through his entire career. Not all that different than Zach Davies. He continued to prove the doubters wrong & put up a win and a half in only 81 innings last year.

Junior Guerra was our best pitcher in 2016 & entered 2017 as our number one starter. If he regains his 2016 form we have another league average or better starter on our hands.

Corbin Burnes is our number one pitching prospect & absolutely dominated at AA last season. He should be ready to get major league hitters out at some point this season.

Luis Ortiz & Freddy Peralta are also prospects of some regard who have already experienced success at AA.

Miley may be horse fodder at this point, but if the six names above are also horse fodder (I don't believe they are) we are definitely in trouble.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On paper, this is a very bad rotation. That’s why they play the games of course but this sure looks like unfinished business and not a smart plan at all.

They're analytical people. I think the formula is:

Last year's rotation (8th in MLB in Wins Above Average) minus half season of Nelson minus dead weight (Garza, Peralta, Milone, Espino who combined for 210 innings) plus better OF defense (Cain, Yelich) plus Chacin/Woodruff/Suter (absorbing Nelson's innings and replacing dead weight).

I dare say that Woodruff/Suter are much better than the dead weight they are replacing (Garza, Peralta, Milone, Espino), then it boils down to Chacin replacing Nelson and the added value of better OF defense.

I don't think it's a bad rotation at all. At least, not much worse than last year, which was pretty darned good.

We had a 4.1 era staff. Pen at 3.85. I don't doubt we can match last years staff but if you do AND the pen can get down to 3.6 era (big jump)... you need the offense to score 5 runs (.5 run jump) just to be a likely WC team. Improving from there is very hard to do as we are constructed.

I still don't see why folks think Chacin is some kind of magic elixir either.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guess the O's gave him the extra year considering the Brewers had offered 3/42 :)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"I still don't see why folks think Chacin is some kind of magic elixir either."

Charlie Morton hopes and dreams. I think he was a fantastic value add/ stabalizing piece. Smart FA deal. But he's not a piece you use in your top 3 to anchor era.

I'm a fan too but I'm never going to accept that the back end of the rotation is anything other than horse fodder and that ain't cause I want to lose.

Brandon Woodruff lead all of the minor leagues in strikeouts in 2016 & was our top pitching prospect entering 2017. He posted half a win in 43 MLB innings last year.

Brent Suter has never been confused for a top prospect, but has gotten people out through his entire career. Not all that different than Zach Davies. He continued to prove the doubters wrong & put up a win and a half in only 81 innings last year.

Junior Guerra was our best pitcher in 2016 & entered 2017 as our number one starter. If he regains his 2016 form we have another league average or better starter on our hands.

Corbin Burnes is our number one pitching prospect & absolutely dominated at AA last season. He should be ready to get major league hitters out at some point this season.

Luis Ortiz & Freddy Peralta are also prospects of some regard who have already experienced success at AA.

Miley may be horse fodder at this point, but if the six names above are also horse fodder (I don't believe they are) we are definitely in trouble.

Woodruff was OK last year in the majors but not the stud you're making him out to be. I have not problem with Woodruff, problem is he isn't going to be in the rotation to start. Suter is limited in how many times he can go through a lineup. Guerra was garbage last year. Miley is garbage. The rest haven't proven anything at the major league level.

The difference is you are projecting the best possible outcome for these guys. That isn't likely to happen.

I dare say that Woodruff/Suter are much better than the dead weight they are replacing (Garza, Peralta, Milone, Espino), then it boils down to Chacin replacing Nelson and the added value of better OF defense.

Those guys only made 35 total starts. You are basically swapping Miley for that group which is a parallel move at best. Now we are literally talking about Chacin replacing Nelson. That ain't an upgrade.

It is entirely possible that they had a plan and it got blown up for some reason. I still believe they intended to move Santana for pitching and just couldn't make it work. So now they have a new plan. Maybe it's a good plan even but it's not as good as the original plan and it changes my outlook for this team.

Good post. I think you hit the nail on the head here. Unfortunately, good experienced GMs have a Plan B, C and D already in place in case in case Plan A doesn't come to fruition. Perhaps Plan B and C is to roll with guys like Suter and Guerra, but to me that seems dubious at best.

I would say as this offseason has turned out, it will serve as a strong mandate on the way Stearns is running the front office. They made huge commitments to shore up their offense and defense, but seemingly didn't see it all the way through, which has led to a roster that is constructed oddly, to say the least, and a pitching staff that leaves a lot to be desired in the eyes of most fans.

Charlie Morton hopes and dreams. I think he was a fantastic value add/ stabalizing piece. Smart FA deal. But he's not a piece you use in your top 3 to anchor era.

Oh how a healthy Neslon would look good on top of this rotation with a solid number two. Instead we argue about whether or not Miley or Guerra will push us over the top.

Those guys only made 35 total starts. You are basically swapping Miley for that group which is a parallel move at best. Now we are literally talking about Chacin replacing Nelson. That ain't an upgrade.

Pretty sure Miley gets the ball tomorrow, and they need to decide by Thursday whether to pay him a roster bonus to retain him. If he gets shelled again tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if they cut bait. Despite his strong few starts to open camp, it doesn't make any sense for the team to start a guy that is going to get shelled every 3rd time out.

There has got to be an underlying reason. 4/60 is not that bad and could have been done by the Brewers. There's a red flag someone saw or he just didn't want to be here. Thinking about it some more, was it that 4th year that was the deal breaker?

Yelich and Cain were acquired for 4 and 5 years. Neither move was "all in" or "going for it" but simply making the team better for the foreseeable future. Signing an aging, mediocre pitcher to a multiyear deal for even market value just doesn't make sense right now. I'm sure Stearns and the FO care no more about 2018 than they do 2019 or 2022.

Yelich and Cain were acquired for 4 and 5 years. Neither move was "all in" or "going for it" but simply making the team better for the foreseeable future. Signing an aging, mediocre pitcher to a multiyear deal for even market value just doesn't make sense right now. I'm sure Stearns and the FO care no more about 2018 than they do 2019 or 2022.

If Lorenzo Cain wasn't going to be 32 in a few weeks, I'd be more on board with this line of thinking.

So $80M and a small handful of quality (or better) prospects is just making the team better for the foreseeable future? They were clearly after pitching and had been shopping Santana since the season ended. They had a bigger plan, it just didn't work for whatever reason. They were obviously looking to strike now.

I do applaude them for not overreacting and making a really bad decision but they were certainly trying to transition from rebuild to contender. So the fall back is that they are still in rebuild.

Pretty sure Miley gets the ball tomorrow, and they need to decide by Thursday whether to pay him a roster bonus to retain him. If he gets shelled again tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if they cut bait. Despite his strong few starts to open camp, it doesn't make any sense for the team to start a guy that is going to get shelled every 3rd time out.

Look at it through the lens of a rebuilding team. Makes more sense.

But HH said he would be a brewer!

Yeah, what gives?

I even logged into Brewerfan.net at 9pm during the heat of the Hot Stove season to get his inside info!

The next thing you're going to tell me is he was just some crazy right-winged nut-job troll?

But HH said he would be a brewer!

Yeah, what gives?

I even logged into Brewerfan.net at 9pm during the heat of the Hot Stove season to get his inside info!

The next thing you're going to tell me is he was just some crazy right-winged nut-job troll?

Ding! Ding! Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!!

Oh how a healthy Neslon would look good on top of this rotation with a solid number two. Instead we argue about whether or not Miley or Guerra will push us over the top.

Anderson Cobb Davies Chacin Suter/guerra (piggyback?)

Nelson Anderson Cobb Davies for the playoffs

Nelson Anderson Cobb 2 of Burnes/Woodruff/Suter in 2019 with assets for Davies and Chacin.

Yup... looks like a playoff team to me.

Archived