Brewer Fanatic

Alex Cobb to the Orioles

pogokat
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with a lot of what went on this off-season as far as roster construction.

I also realize that Stearns and Arnold are really smart baseball people who have way more insider information and scouting information than I ever will. They have a plan here. They are not just winging it.

I certainly think DS has earned the benefit of the doubt until we at least see what happens this year, and he'll certainly get that from me.

If it's July and we are 40-55, then by all means fire away.

I disagree with a lot of what went on this off-season as far as roster construction.

I also realize that Stearns and Arnold are really smart baseball people who have way more insider information and scouting information than I ever will. They have a plan here. They are not just winging it.

I certainly think DS has earned the benefit of the doubt until we at least see what happens this year, and he'll certainly get that from me.

Good Post.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Looks like it is 4 years near $60 million (Link).

Well another contract I’m good with us not being involved in. Cobb was only to be added at the right price and this wasn’t it.

And Im absolutely furious... Briggs you got scooter, davis. I got this.

48/3 or 60/4 is exactly what I wanted. God help me if theres a mutual option on that 4th year.

Pretty fair to say Baltimores band box is possibly slightly worse than his conditions in the NL in MKE so we'll know how stupid this was.

Good luck piecing this together and carrying this rotations top with what we have... or enjoy bleeding our farm into the 20s mlb wide. Brilliant... freaking brilliant.

This is where I'd remind people that just because Cobb took 4/60 from Baltimore doesn't mean he would have taken the same offer from us.

He's from Florida. He has spent his entire career playing primarily on the East Coast. He may have preferred to keep it that way.

Sure maybe he would have had a price that would have been the tipping point to bring him here but that could have been 4/72 for all we know.

This sums up how I feel pretty well. I am sure there is a plan and we will eventually see what it is. Perhaps the Brewers are finally doing what we have always wanted them to do and not buy meddling, mediocre or non-needle moving starting pitchers and going with our prospects. I am excited to see Woodruff, Burnes in the rotation. If we are going with what we have, then go with the youth and not the Gallardo/Miley types.

thank god. 4/$60 is a bit rich for him, glad that our fanbase doesnt have to worry about that :)

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

This sums up how I feel pretty well. I am sure there is a plan and we will eventually see what it is. Perhaps the Brewers are finally doing what we have always wanted them to do and not buy meddling, mediocre or non-needle moving starting pitchers and going with our prospects. I am excited to see Woodruff, Burnes in the rotation. If we are going with what we have, then go with the youth and not the Gallardo/Miley types.

If he's a non-needle mover middling arm... we might have 1 pitcher and a hope a 2nd comes back from shoulder surgery.

I would actually argue that not making a move was equally as bold as making a move for arrieta or darvish. Adding cobb or Lynn would have been a tweener type move, not bold at all. Now the question will be whether it was a smart move. I've generally disagreed with the moves and overall philosophy of this off season, but I'm doing my best to embrace them as I'm still a brewer fan and want to win.

It is entirely possible that they had a plan and it got blown up for some reason. I still believe they intended to move Santana for pitching and just couldn't make it work. So now they have a new plan. Maybe it's a good plan even but it's not as good as the original plan and it changes my outlook for this team.

I would actually argue that not making a move was equally as bold as making a move for arrieta or darvish. Adding cobb or Lynn would have been a tweener type move, not bold at all. Now the question will be whether it was a smart move. I've generally disagreed with the moves and overall philosophy of this off season, but I'm doing my best to embrace them as I'm still a brewer fan and want to win.

I like this point. As Brewers fans we are used to our significant FA additions being Sean Berry, Jeffrey Hammonds or Jeff Suppan. While I believe Cobb is better than them and I wanted him, I definitely don't see him as the TOR arm the Brewers need and spending $15 million annually for a #3 may preclude the Brewers from extending Shaw or Arcia or Knebel.

This is a new mindset for me as a Brewer fan and I am embracing it. Do I think the roster makes sense? No. But I do believe there will be some movement to make sense of the roster soon.

Doing nothing isn't bold, it's the easy play. Having said that, I have no problem with not getting Cobb but doing nothing with regard to the rotation was never the answer. I'm a fan too but I'm never going to accept that the back end of the rotation is anything other than horse fodder and that ain't cause I want to lose.

great post. I would go further to say Stearns and Arnold are smart enough to have studied every teams roster extensively. The fact that they didn't see Cobb as enough of an upgrade to shell out a long term contract tells me they think they might be able to do better. I doubt they really think the options they currently have for the back of the rotation is anything more than a very temporary stop-gap. I still believe Broxton, Thames, or possibly Santana will be dealt to acquire young controllable pitching, starter or reliever. Possibly at cut down time. Stearns knows who's on the bubble for other teams and who can be acquired at end of spring. May not be a TOR type, but still a valuable asset or 2.

On paper, this is a very bad rotation. That’s why they play the games of course but this sure looks like unfinished business and not a smart plan at all.

They're analytical people. I think the formula is:

Last year's rotation (8th in MLB in Wins Above Average) minus half season of Nelson minus dead weight (Garza, Peralta, Milone, Espino who combined for 210 innings) plus better OF defense (Cain, Yelich) plus Chacin/Woodruff/Suter (absorbing Nelson's innings and replacing dead weight).

I dare say that Woodruff/Suter are much better than the dead weight they are replacing (Garza, Peralta, Milone, Espino), then it boils down to Chacin replacing Nelson and the added value of better OF defense.

I don't think it's a bad rotation at all. At least, not much worse than last year, which was pretty darned good.

A few thoughts:

- I'm disappointed Cobb went to Baltimore, and I don't think the contract is absurd, but I have to think $$ and some element of familiarity (stayed in the same division & landed closer to home) were behind his choice because the Orioles aren't nearly as good as the Brewers.

- At least he didn't help further improve WASH or PHI and he's in the AL.

- I have tons of faith in Stearns & Co. and their cost/value decisions on Cobb contract offers, not to mention their plan. Not making a move is better than making the wrong move. And I'll bet there are still some moves ahead, only not sure where off/on the roster (though Santana/Broxton is an obvious starting point) and when, though I'd sure hope an SP would be on his way here if one or more of the current cast struggles.

- Gallardo as a rotation possibility? Several days ago, it was made clear that it's bullpen or bust for Yo. It's pretty clearly been down to Suter, Woodruff, Miley, & Guerra for the last 2 rotation spots. I don't love those options, but I'm not convinced they're all putrid. There's also a decent chance that they'll get more from those guys than they did from Peralta, Milone, & 2nd-half-Garza, plus Feliz out of the pen.

- Somewhere in all this I know there's room for Derek Johnson's influence to improve at least one pitcher more than we could've realistically hoped for. Fingers crossed.

On paper, this is a very bad rotation. That’s why they play the games of course but this sure looks like unfinished business and not a smart plan at all.

They're analytical people. I think the formula is:

Last year's rotation (8th in MLB in Wins Above Average) minus half season of Nelson minus dead weight (Garza, Peralta, Milone, Espino who combined for 210 innings) plus better OF defense (Cain, Yelich) plus Chacin/Woodruff/Suter (absorbing Nelson's innings and replacing dead weight).

I dare say that Woodruff/Suter are much better than the dead weight they are replacing (Garza, Peralta, Milone, Espino), then it boils down to Chacin replacing Nelson and the added value of better OF defense.

I don't think it's a bad rotation at all. At least, not much worse than last year, which was pretty darned good.

We had a 4.1 era staff. Pen at 3.85. I don't doubt we can match last years staff but if you do AND the pen can get down to 3.6 era (big jump)... you need the offense to score 5 runs (.5 run jump) just to be a likely WC team. Improving from there is very hard to do as we are constructed.

"- Somewhere in all this I know there's room for Derek Johnson's influence to improve at least one pitcher more than we could've realistically hoped for. Fingers crossed."

Why do people always say this about scrubs but rarely point to DJ using that same ability to return Cobb to 2.8 form? He got Nelson and Anderson righted.

Archived