Brewer Fanatic

Alex Cobb to the Orioles

pogokat
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont get it, unless the FO see's Guerra as a SP somewhere between 2016 and 2017 season, maybe 3.40-3.60 ERA range... I would take that as 4th starter.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Guerra

Suter

Lynn and Cobb look to be some serious bargains.

I’d love to know what happened inside our FO after the Cain Yelich deals. Going into a promising season with our OF/1B and that rotation seems to be a real disconnect.

I'm not so sure. I think they took smart risks. I also like the fact that they put Braun under pressure to play 1B, which was in their best interests. Aguilar does not have nearly the track record to suggest he's in Braun's class as a hitter, even if Braun continues to have injuries and show signs of decline. And I wouldn't be surprised if Braun is a better fielder than Aguilar and Thames as well.

I like the moves. Get the best risk:reward ratios and go from there. Needs change and so do trade opportunities. They're a very smart front office. I'm glad they passed on all these starters at the prices they got.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/976219401442807808

Ken apparently was told his numbers are off. I agree with him he's probably high. TJseven is going to lose his mind I'm pretty sure...

I’d love to know what happened inside our FO after the Cain Yelich deals. Going into a promising season with our OF/1B and that rotation seems to be a real disconnect.

I agree. Could’ve seen it being Santana for Salazar then Salazar got hurt or maybe Broxton or Santana for Corbin (but JD Martinez hanging out there forever and Dyson/TB trade popped up and it got derailed) or maybe an Archer deal and Rays got cold feet/upped demands. Obviously other pieces in those trade mentioned above but rough framework. We can say what we want but on the surface, imo, we really screwed up the pitching moves (or lack of) this offseason. Hope I’m wrong.

I dont get it, unless the FO see's Guerra as a SP somewhere between 2016 and 2017 season, maybe 3.40-3.60 ERA range... I would take that as 4th starter.

Guerra has an option. I also think he might have done a little damage to his arm in 2016. There are people who know a lot more about pitching than me who said he had increased his velocity at the expense of sustainability, possibly because he knew it was his last chance.

I think I'd go with Gallardo, just to save Woodruff's innings for later in the season.

ETA: Yeah, just save Woodruff's service time and make sure you are actually a respectable team before you over-commit. See if Gallardo can hold the fort for a few months. Then move Suter to the pen for Woodruff if he does well in AAA, and move Gallardo to long relief gradually as Nelson works his way back.

I'm not so sure. I think they took smart risks. I also like the fact that they put Braun under pressure to play 1B, which was in their best interests. Aguilar does not have nearly the track record to suggest he's in Braun's class as a hitter, even if Braun continues to have injuries and show signs of decline. And I wouldn't be surprised if Braun is a better fielder than Aguilar and Thames as well.

I like the moves. Get the best risk:reward ratios and go from there. Needs change and so do trade opportunities. They're a very smart front office. I'm glad they passed on all these starters at the prices they got.

What risks did they take other than we have 3-4 bottom of the rotation starters at best in the rotation all year (because that’s the risk I see)? What rewards or upside did they gain from this other than saving money/trade assets for a future move?

What risks did they take other than we have 3-4 bottom of the rotation starters at best in the rotation all year (because that’s the risk I see)? What rewards or upside did they gain from this other than saving money/trade assets for a future move?

Lots of teams have question marks in the rotation. It could go either way. The real risk is spending too much and/or forfeiting draft picks for guys who could easily be worse than Suter and Woodruff due to injury and/or age. Hard to bounce back from that kind of mistake if you're a small market.

Cain and Yelich were quite possibly the two best values among high-profile acquisitions in all of baseball this offseason IMO. And it sounds like diminishing the value of saving money and assets for future moves, but that's not a thing you want to underestimate as a small market team.

I’m not seeing smart at all here.

On paper, this is a very bad rotation. That’s why they play the games of course but this sure looks like unfinished business and not a smart plan at all.

Lots of teams have question marks in the rotation. It could go either way. The real risk is spending too much and/or forfeiting draft picks for guys who could easily be worse than Suter and Woodruff due to injury and/or age. Hard to bounce back from that kind of mistake if you're a small market.

Cain and Yelich were quite possibly the two best values among high-profile acquisitions in all of baseball this offseason IMO. And it sounds like diminishing the value of saving money and assets for future moves, but that's not a thing you want to underestimate as a small market team.

A team that’s trying to make the playoffs shouldn’t have the question marks we do in the rotation, especially with how the market fell. I think it’s a pretty big stretch to project Cobb/Lynn to be easily worse than Suter or Woodruff, let alone Arrieta/Darvish. And I don’t see much value in the Cain deal and any value seems to have been punted a by not adding a pitcher now since he’s going to have diminished value/return as that contract goes on.

They did the opposite of "take a risk". They did nothing with regard to the rotation. Signing a couple of flyers like Miley and Gallardo is doing nothing.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Yes, they are called non-contenders.

Eh, I have it on good faith (from a mod earlier in this thread even) that you are crazy if you're not happy with this rotation.
I don't think so?

I wont question a mods baseball knowledge...

As far as ability to handle attrition having Suter Guerra... with a scrap like Miley... fliers like Derby Wilkerson and eventually additions of Woodruff Burnes Nelson we have plenty of options. That part doesnt concern me.

The depth of ip/start concerns me.

The ability of Anderson Davies Chacin to anchor the staffs ERA is asking far too much. That's the insane part. Even if you think this team can add .4 runs per game you need the staff to shave a full run off 3.2 4.0 4.0 4.7 4.7 to be a playoff team. The cobb 20 war pitcher was a funny take and all but he could easily jump our entire rotation save Anderson. Davies is a 2 by league averages and Cobb should jump him. Adding that and pushing 3 guys down a slot is the difference from this team projecting at 90 wins instead of 85.

This is a fringe playoff team as is. If things go a fairly positive playoffs, if things go fairly negative 500. You add cobb you change that narrative to... this is a playoff team. If things go a bit positive the teams a threat, if things go a bit negative its an on the fringe team.

If Nelson comes back well let it be a positive that gives you a chance vs the power houses. They left this short. When you count on good breaks to make yourself good enough you fail. Good breaks should take you from good to a chance of special, not almost to good.

Looks like it is 4 years near $60 million (Link).

Well another contract I’m good with us not being involved in. Cobb was only to be added at the right price and this wasn’t it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They did the opposite of "take a risk". They did nothing with regard to the rotation. Signing a couple of flyers like Miley and Gallardo is doing nothing.

Cain and Yelich were smart risks. The pitchers were not. So they got Cain and Yelich and I'm sure it will work itself out eventually.

I remember when all those relievers were signing for $5m+ per season in November and December and some people here were impatient and angry that the Brewers weren't signing any of them. It's just instant gratification. Patience and discipline are crucial to a small market team's success and they showed it in spades this offseason.

Well another contract I’m good with us not being involved in. Cobb was only to be added at the right price and this wasn’t it.

And Im absolutely furious... Briggs you got scooter, davis. I got this.

48/3 or 60/4 is exactly what I wanted. God help me if theres a mutual option on that 4th year.

Pretty fair to say Baltimores band box is possibly slightly worse than his conditions in the NL in MKE so we'll know how stupid this was.

Good luck piecing this together and carrying this rotations top with what we have... or enjoy bleeding our farm into the 20s mlb wide. Brilliant... freaking brilliant.

The longer this thing dragged out, the more I didn't want any part of Mr. Cobb.

My prediction:

Suter is our 4th starter

Woodruff is our 5th starter.

(Please no Miley, Yo)

Nelson and Burnes in the rotation mix by All-Star break.

If Brewers are doing well after All-Star break consider trading for a cost-controlled young starter.

My hopes for the playoffs this season have dimmed somewhat however.

I have a feeling that it will be Suter and Miley because of Woodruff’s option with Yovanni going to the pen. Just a hunch but I think it’s likely.

Cain and Yelich were smart risks. The pitchers were not. So they got Cain and Yelich and I'm sure it will work itself out eventually.

I remember when all those relievers were signing for $5m+ per season in November and December and some people here were impatient and angry that the Brewers weren't signing any of them. It's just instant gratification. Patience and discipline are crucial to a small market team's success and they showed it in spades this offseason.

I specifically said with regard to the rotation.

And Im absolutely furious... Briggs you got scooter, davis. I got this.

48/3 or 60/4 is exactly what I wanted. I'd beat the offer as well. Cheap *** mother *******. No killer instinct. Furious... FURIOUS! :angry God help me if theres a mutual option on that 4th year.

Pretty fair to say Baltimores band box is possibly slightly worse than his conditions in the NL in MKE so we'll know how stupid this was.

Good luck piecing this together and carrying this rotations top with what we have... or enjoy bleeding our farm into the 20s mlb wide. Brilliant... freaking brilliant.

You may want to take a break from the internet for awhile. :)

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived