Brewer Fanatic

Alex Cobb to the Orioles

pogokat
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is becoming a drunken mess. Whoa.

When did the fans of a team named for beer makers, playing in Miller park, playing in a city known for beer, become the high class sip a beer with your pinky out type people haha?

Keep it simple. The simple answer is the likely answer.

I agree, but I don't agree with you on the answer. To me, the simplest answer is Cobb did not want to play for the Brewers, and quite possibly in the NL period. That's far more likely to me than the Brewers not bumping up their offer a few million if that's all it took, and they really wanted him.

Since everyone has enjoyed doing this to me...

What proof do you have of this? What shred of a clue makes you think this whole ordeal came down to his preference for baltimore over Mke. My guess, this is the convenient excuse you push through at acceptance while I'm still chilling at anger.

When did the fans of a team named for beer makers, playing in Miller park, playing in a city known for beer, become the high class sip a beer with your pinky out type people haha?

Truer words have never been spoken. Well done.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This thread is full of defeatist talk, excuse making that hasn't got a shred of evidence, cap nonsense and people doing their best to talk themselves into being onboard.

I am possibly the guy you're referencing here.

I see the Brewers at around $91M right now, and I would bet that they could fit another $15M+ onto this year's payroll.

Next year looks different. Braun, Cain, Yelich, Chacin, Thames, Anderson and Albers add up to $65.5M. Logan will cost either $4.125M or $0.625M if we don't exercise the option, and Jeffress will cost $3.175M if we exercise his option. That's $72.8M for 9/25 of the roster.

Meanwhile, 12 of the remaining 16 roster spots (Nelson, Knebel, Vogt, Villar, Perez, Davies, Guerra, Shaw, Santana, Broxton, Bandy and Pina) are all up for arby raises. We could cut some of these guys, but this is a big part of the team and some of these guys could get big raises.

We have some meaningful pre-arby guys like Arcia, Phillips, Suter, and Hader, and some prospects who could help, but there has to be some concern from the front office that adding another $15M+ in guaranteed salary to the 2019 payroll could push us well over budget and possibly even into the red. Attanasio has shown that he doesn't mind spending money, but he not going to voluntarily lose money.

I'm not thrilled with our starting rotation, but we have a limited budget. Would we be better if Stearns had signed Cobb and not Chacin and some bullpen help? I don't know. We could have signed Cobb instead of Cain for roughly the same price, so I assume Stearns thought the upgrade from Phillips/Broxton to Cain was greater than the upgrade from the current back of the rotation to Cobb. Time will tell if he's right or wrong.

We do have Nelson and some high-upside prospects who are close to contributing. Maybe he feels that if we skip the #5 a few times, our #4/5 mix will be good enough to get us through until the in-house reinforcements arrive. Maybe he's just higher on some of these guys then some fans/media are.

I don't know the final answer to all of this stuff, but I do know that the Brewers are going in as one of the better teams in the NL, and I'm excited to get the season underway. Hopefully all the positives on the roster outweigh the negatives, and we end up in the playoffs.

This is why I have always vehemently disagreed with those who say Ryan Braun's 20M a year doesn't keep us from doing anything we want to do.

Maybe it already has. Maybe we would have gone 4/60 for Cobb and signed him but it was just outside Mark A's comfort zone with our existing commitments.

I don't make this argument specifically about Braun. You could apply it to Cain too, in questioning whether or not 16M a year for Cain was a good idea. My argument is against shrugging off large payroll commitments when the payroll is low. Eventually you want to raise that payroll again, and that's when the payroll ceiling comes into play again.

I wanted Cobb. Disappointed we didn't get him. Not gonna lie, but I love our offense. If Anderson and Davies replicate last year, I love our top 3, with Chacin. If Anderson or Davies or both, is bad this year adding Cobb wouldn't have mattered much.

I just the hope guys that win spots 4 and 5 either perform well or are terrible. No gray area. Just be great to ok, or be terrible so we can move to the next guy....

Think about the thing you are most passionate about in the entire world after family/friends and your faith. This is mine. I follow FOs like people follow the games.

That's a dime a dozen around here and hardly makes you unique. The very fact that you're posting on a message board means you probably like to discuss the way a team is assembled. Mere passion doesn't mean you know any more than anyone else here. Which brings me to this..

This deal from all angles looks like a rare occurance that you pounce on. It's a chance to get on the plus side of the arms requirement without blasting huge cap and mega years into a 30 year old.

If you think Alex Cobb at the deal he just got is some huge missed opportunity, an occurrence so rare it needed to be pounced on, then I'll just say that you're not making a strong case to quit your day job.

My goodness, since when did Alex Cobb become such a field-tilting talent? And how is Matt Arnold not aware of such greatness having a front row seat to Cobb's development in Tampa? Who would've thunk someone would be willing to make Alex Cobb's 2018 free agency the hill they choose to die on? Yeesh

My goodness, since when did Alex Cobb become such a field-tilting talent? And how is Matt Arnold not aware of such greatness having a front row seat to Cobb's development in Tampa? Who would've thunk someone would be willing to make Alex Cobb's 2018 free agency the hill they choose to die on? Yeesh

Yep. Much-needed reminder that Arnold was pretty high up in the Rays' organization before joining the Brewers, just in case anyone thinks they're better at projecting Cobb's future than the front office is.

I wish we had a like button.

Think about the thing you are most passionate about in the entire world after family/friends and your faith. This is mine. I follow FOs like people follow the games.

That's a dime a dozen around here and hardly makes you unique. The very fact that you're posting on a message board means you probably like to discuss the way a team is assembled. Mere passion doesn't mean you know any more than anyone else here. Which brings me to this..

This deal from all angles looks like a rare occurance that you pounce on. It's a chance to get on the plus side of the arms requirement without blasting huge cap and mega years into a 30 year old.

If you think Alex Cobb at the deal he just got is some huge missed opportunity, an occurrence so rare it needed to be pounced on, then I'll just say that you're not making a strong case to quit your day job.

I think the reason so many are irked, are not because Cobb is great, because he isn't, but because this was the last guy out there. There is a finality to Cobb's signing. This is it. Now all the hope about adding a starter is gone atm. People finally realize that we are not adding anybody. They didn't wanna believe DS, when he said he was happy with the rotation going in. Now they have no choice but to believe him and in him.

Maybe some of these people are just pessimists in life, I for one am going to be an optimist going into this year...which is never the case for me.

I believe in DS

Monty, unless you are also torts, its not directed at you. I ran down a much more novice level breakdown of what you posted there... stating we can take out Chacin and 1 of Anderson Davies if Cobb Nelson were to succeed or Nelson if he didnt. That strips 8-9 mil off the cap numbers. We aren't gaining more space in 2020 so increasing cains deal 1 mil every year instead of decreasing cains deal 1 mil every year makes no sense to me. You'd figure we'd pay him with our low cap number this year instead of pay him as these contracts continue to increase in 2019-2020. Its structured like a 3 year window deal followed by a purge and I'm not fond of that. The purge after 2020 is Braun Thames Knebel and Nelson so... not good.

How do you know what the Brewers "cap" will be in 2020? First, there is no cap like there is in the NFL. Secondly, we don't know how much Mark A is willing to spend down the road. He may be willing to go higher than we think once all the pieces are in place to really make a run. And the "Monty, unless you are also torts" line is another example what I mentioned earlier.

Increases go a little something like this.

2020:

Braun 17 expiring

Cain 15

Yelich 12.5

Phillips .5

Shaw 6 (castellanos 2018 arb 2)

Arcia 3.5 (brad miller 2017 arb 1)

Hiura .5

Gatewood .5

Dubon .5

Erceg .5

Pina 3 (vogt arb 2 2018)

Nottingham .5

Nelson 8.5 (pomeranz arby 3 2018) expiring

Anderson 8.5

Davies 5 (salazaar arby 2)

Woodruff .5

Barnes .5

Knebel 9.5 (ramos arby 4 2018) expiring

Hader .5

Peralta .5

Williams .5

Houser .5

Lopez .5

Kodi .5

Suter 2.5 (will smith 2017 arby 1)

Decline Thames 7.5 mil.

Decline Barnes arby 1

To shave 8.5 mil

98 mil if we go bare bones in 2020. Zero additions. Zero depth except for kids. No Santana. Very uneasy at 1b. Unless Erceg can get enough AB to let Braun Shaw split it. Not counting arby inflation. So let me ask you this... how deep do you think daddy warbucks will go?

"I think the reason so many are irked, are not because Cobb is great, because he isn't, but because this was the last guy out there. There is a finality to Cobb's signing. This is it. Now all the hope about adding a starter is gone atm. People finally realize that we are not adding anybody. They didn't wanna believe DS, when he said he was happy with the rotation going in. Now they have no choice but to believe him and in him."

Not quite. He was the only one that went for a deal I thought was good. He gets 72/4 and I laugh and say... well I'm out. Yu 6 years... out. Lynn rental out. Arrieta OUT. I didn't want to believe him, I don't believe in him on this one.

I'm going to be ticked again if Cobb's doing well and we bleed our farm for a 2 year stud.

Yep. Much-needed reminder that Arnold was pretty high up in the Rays' organization before joining the Brewers, just in case anyone thinks they're better at projecting Cobb's future than the front office is.

Yup and I'll wear it when I'm wrong or when they end up with better without killing the farm.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You all need a timeout.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived