Brewer Fanatic

Alex Cobb (Part 4)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm amazed this thread is still kicking. I am kind of hoping he doesn't sign for a while yet just to keep this sucker alive and kicking.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I bet he has a pending agreed upon contract with the brewers or perhaps another team, and he has placed a deadline of say March 20 to decide on the offer.

He likely is deciding that this is his one chance at free agency and wants to get the most out of it.

He has likely agreed to throw bullpen sessions under the supervision of the pending team, and the team has likely agreed to wait, both with the understanding that if he gets a higher offer or the team has a chance to acquire a pitcher from another way, that they will give 48 hours to match or accept the deal.

I bet he has a pending agreed upon contract with the brewers or perhaps another team, and he has placed a deadline of say March 20 to decide on the offer.

He likely is deciding that this is his one chance at free agency and wants to get the most out of it.

He has likely agreed to throw bullpen sessions under the supervision of the pending team, and the team has likely agreed to wait, both with the understanding that if he gets a higher offer or the team has a chance to acquire a pitcher from another way, that they will give 48 hours to match or accept the deal.

That is a lot of stuff to "likely" happen with nothing to really go on.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

At this point, I really think Cobb waits until the season starts on waits for the inevitable injuries and/or bad performance from one or more of the contending teams. It is a risk, but not all that crazy. If he is, in fact, healthy then he would be in the driver's seat, since there's nobody else left out there. (And as far as the health goes, I would guess teams interested have seen him pitch this spring whether in person or on video, with the gun showing speeds, etc.)

At this point, I really think Cobb waits until the season starts on waits for the inevitable injuries and/or bad performance from one or more of the contending teams. It is a risk, but not all that crazy. If he is, in fact, healthy then he would be in the driver's seat, since there's nobody else left out there. (And as far as the health goes, I would guess teams interested have seen him pitch this spring whether in person or on video, with the gun showing speeds, etc.)

But then you have to wait another month for him to get his pitch count up. Just not seeing it he's not Roger Clemens were he's going to get a contender to jump through hoops to sign him.

There might be a sweet spot between the start of the year and teams punting on the season where he can find value if he gets lucky. Come the deadline, guys like Stroman, Duffy, Hamels, etc could become available and nerf his value. It's a pretty risky play in my opinion. If I was him, it would only be worth it if the offers are truly dreadful. If anyone is offering him that 3/$42, I think he'd be insane not to take it. If his best offer is the same as Lynn's and he doesn't have confidence in his arm holding up, maybe waiting is the right call.

Maybe he's willing to wait until after the draft so that a team that signs him doesn't lose a draft pick/slot money. Didn't Kendrys Morales do that a couple seasons ago?

Looked it up, the draft in 2014 ended on June 7th and Morales signed a 1 year deal with the Twins on June 8th.

Not sure this strategy would be smart for Cobb since he would miss out on 2+ months of whatever salary he signs for. I'd just sign a one year offer to start the season unless he's really being low balled. I gotta think he's being offered money similar to Lynn at least.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

who would have thought out of the 3 big FA Cobb would be the last holding out.

Seeing as though he lost his best pitch and is coming off Tommy John I'm not shocked. Cobb is not without risk.

The X factor is that we don't know what his asking price is.

If his agent told him to hold out I would fire him by now.

Agents can only give advice. At some point it's up to the player to accept or decline offers thrown his way.

Look at Lance Lynn. It's safe to assume that he was bummed out that the big multi-year contract he was hoping for never materialized, but 12 million dollars for one year is still 12 million dollars, and he can be a free agent again next year.

We have no idea about the kind of offers Cobb and his agent have received, but in the end, it's his call, not the agent as to when Cobb finally accepts an offer.

So we really are going into the season with Chacin, Miley, and Woodard are our 3-5?

I assume you mean Woodruff. I'm fine going in with those guys. Miley/Woodruff will have relatively short leashes, and our 6-8 are far and away better than most teams 6-8.

Every time the Cubs have an injury to the rotation or bullpen(like Strop currently), they have to bring up someone absolutely dreadful from AAA...because that's all they have. Hooray for Eddie Butler and his sub 5 k/9!

I still think Woodruff will start in AAA to give him a little more service time. Just guessing, but I'm thinking Suter and Guerra would get called on first when we need that 5th starter on April 6th.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived