• Last Reply

My sense from a number in this threas:

Add Cobb.: Brewers go 92-70

Don't add Cobb : Brewers go 72-90

The first ever 20 WAR player

More likely scenario:

Add Cobb : Brewers go 89-73

No Cobb : Brewers go 88-74

The season has lost a lot of the promise/luster that was created with the Yelich/Cain acquisitions. It seems odd to spend the player and cash resources they did to achieve mediocrity. I know the FO will spin it but it sure seems like they had a plan that they failed to execute entirely. Now you have a mediocre team that is neither young or old and quite literally stuck in middling purgatory.

I too wish they would have done more, but to call the team mediocre when they were one game from the playoffs, and made drastic offensive improvements to clean up deficiencies, I believe is shortsighted. I mean hell, might as well not even watch this year. When do the Packers start training camp?

Someone posted a really good fangraphs article that how the Brewers over performed last year and look to be an 84 or so win team this year. By just about every projection I see they seem to be quite mediocre. Forget last year because it doesn't mean anything. What is it about this team that screams anything other than mediocre?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

My sense from a number in this threas:

Add Cobb.: Brewers go 92-70

Don't add Cobb : Brewers go 72-90

The first ever 20 WAR player

More likely scenario:

Add Cobb : Brewers go 89-73

No Cobb : Brewers go 88-74

I enjoyed this a lot. Thank you.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I too wish they would have done more, but to call the team mediocre when they were one game from the playoffs, and made drastic offensive improvements to clean up deficiencies, I believe is shortsighted. I mean hell, might as well not even watch this year. When do the Packers start training camp?

Who gets defensive now?

Peter gammons posted something today I saw on bleached report, where milwaukee is rates the 10th best rotation in baseball.

I need to find the exact post and source but our starting pitch in will be fine.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Who gets defensive now?

Touche :)

But I love the Brewers, and it's March. I'm sorry, I'm not quite ready to write them off.

Peter gammons posted something today I saw on bleached report, where milwaukee is rates the 10th best rotation in baseball.

I need to find the exact post and source but our starting pitch in will be fine.

But how could this be? The rotation is considered the achilles heel of the team.

Sometimes projections are just crap. PECOTA had the 2015 Royals winning 72 games.

Who gets defensive now?

Touche :)

But I love the Brewers, and it's March. I'm sorry, I'm not quite ready to write them off.

There are different ways to be a fan. Yours isn't superior to any other.

But how could this be? The rotation is considered the achilles heel of the team.

Sometimes projections are just crap. PECOTA had the 2015 Royals winning 72 games.

Yeah, you're right. Rainbows and unicorns for everyone!

Who was saying it was? I appreciate your grounded viewpoints because they make me think outside of my fandom comfort zone, even if they irk me at times ;) It's a baseball message board. In March. It's all in good fun in the end.

For the record, any projection system saying the Brewers have the 10th best rotation in baseball is seriously flawed in my opinion.

I need to find the exact post and source but our starting pitch in will be fine.[/qu

To follow up, it's a ranking by baseball info solutions

Who was saying it was? I appreciate your grounded viewpoints because they make me think outside of my fandom comfort zone, even if they irk me at times ;) It's a baseball message board. In March. It's all in good fun in the end.

For the record, any projection system saying the Brewers have the 10th best rotation in baseball is seriously flawed in my opinion.

It's implicit in the defensive nature with which you respond to just about every post that suggests this team is mediocre or worse. My critiques of this team don't exist because I hate this team. Lord knows there are easier teams to root for than the Brewers. I travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to make sure my boys and I get the chance to not only watch this team, but to watch them in Milwaukee. You don't do that if you don't, literally, love this team.

That in no way precludes me from seeing the faults with the is team. Faults many, many other people see too. They could have addressed those faults, they didn't. Time will tell what the consequences for that are.

adding cobb to a 2 or 3 year deal would be nice, but I get the sense that the brewers don't feel like it is necessary. Since Suter and Wiley have had a nice spring and they have Woodruff as a 6th SP, I am sure they feel comfortable taking their chances. If the brewers are in it in July, I am sure Mark will give up what it takes to get SP via trade. Therefore I won't lose sleep over Alex Cobb.

The Brewers went 86-76 last year despite losing way more games in which the winner was determined late than they won. I'm not sure of the number but I think they went like 8-18 in games in which the winner was established in the 7th inning or later.

The team was not smoke and mirrors last year

Catching stayed the same

Infield stayed the same

Outfield improved both offensive and defensively

Bullpen stayed the same

Starters stayed about the same

Team will be good

Best case : 92 wins

Worst case : maybe 80

adding cobb to a 2 or 3 year deal would be nice, but I get the sense that the brewers don't feel like it is necessary. Since Suter and Wiley have had a nice spring and they have Woodruff as a 6th SP, I am sure they feel comfortable taking their chances. If the brewers are in it in July, I am sure Mark will give up what it takes to get SP via trade. Therefore I won't lose sleep over Alex Cobb.

I agree that the Cobb stuff went way overboard and you're absolutely correct on that point. However, you are going to have to trade the same assets mid season that no one wants to trade now. What is the difference? I put no credence in spring numbers.........at all. I have a tad bit of faith in Suter and absolutely none in Miley. It would be so awesome if I'm wrong.

The Brewers went 86-76 last year despite losing way more games in which the winner was determined late than they won. I'm not sure of the number but I think they went like 8-18 in games in which the winner was established in the 7th inning or later.

Catching stayed the same

Infield stayed the same

Bullpen stayed the same

Team will be good

Jimmy Nelson says hi from his rehab suite. I'm not buying the new guys as being a big enough improvement to cancel the loss of Nelson. There are a whole lot of regression candidates so maybe catcher and infield stayed the same, maybe not. I think 92 wins is very aggressive.

Catching stayed the same

Infield stayed the same

Bullpen stayed the same

Team will be good

Another post I can get behind.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's implicit in the defensive nature with which you respond to just about every post that suggests this team is mediocre or worse. My critiques of this team don't exist because I hate this team. Lord knows there are easier teams to root for than the Brewers. I travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to make sure my boys and I get the chance to not only watch this team, but to watch them in Milwaukee. You don't do that if you don't, literally, love this team.

That in no way precludes me from seeing the faults with the is team. Faults many, many other people see too. They could have addressed those faults, they didn't. Time will tell what the consequences for that are.

There are also a lot of people that are excited about this team's chances, flaws and all. I see the team's flaws, and I know they stand a strong chance of holding them back. I think that Stearns has dropped the ball in a major way from February on, and the result is a rotation with serious question marks and a positional roster that, while extremely talented, doesn't make a lot of sense.

But it's March, and they have the whole season ahead of them. Could the team be bad? Sure. But I think the chances are better that they won't be. But I at least want to see them play some games before they are written off. There's no need to piss an anyone's cornflakes in March.

I agree that the Cobb stuff went way overboard and you're absolutely correct on that point. However, you are going to have to trade the same assets mid season that no one wants to trade now. What is the difference? I put no credence in spring numbers.........at all. I have a tad bit of faith in Suter and absolutely none in Miley. It would be so awesome if I'm wrong.

I would put the chances of you being wrong on Miley at about 1%. Even with my most Brewer-colored goggles, I see no scenario where he doesn't suck. I hated that signing when it happened, and nothing has changed.

Is it wrong that I kind of get mad every time he has a decent spring training outing?

Archived