Brewer Fanatic

Alex Cobb (Part 3)

1. Majora leaguea baseballa.... sounds like the Trade Federation characters in The Phantom Menace.

2. I can't imagine why anyone in Cobb's position would give serious thought to Baltimore. They're not very good and very possibly a year (or less) from losing their current best player, and their best reliever's injured (again). There's really not much (externally, player-acquisition-wise) they've spent big money on in recent years that's worked out well. Cobb's already spent plenty of time on an AL East team that's spent most of its seasons looking up at the division's heavyweights, and realistically Baltimore's not in any great position to improve their standings-based view of those teams meaningfully anytime soon..... Doesn't mean he won't sign there, though I'd think if he does, this would be more about going for the most money rather than to a good team with a better chance to win.

Saw in an article that Lynn wouldn't sign with them even if they offered more money. Phils if that MLB Radio report is accurate make a lot more sense.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phillies can throw the money and are potentially up-and-coming, but they finished last w/ 66 wins last year & still have WASH & about everyone else except possibly MIA ahead of them. Yes, they added Arrieta and grossly overpaid for Santana, but still....

Milwaukee still seems like a better opportunity for winning, but the offer must not be as appealing because Stearns isn't about throwing unjustifiable silly money out there. Arnold's TB past can't hurt the Brewers' position if indeed they're seriously still in the hunt.

I don't imagine Stearns' "we like who we have" line is a bluff, but he's also not going to pass up a move to make the Brewers enough better for the right price. In other words, we know he's never not listening. And it still wouldn't surprise me if a trade or two happened given their depth, assets, and a few circumstances of players being out of minor-league options.

It is not entertaining. Linking tweets from people with four followers is beyond even potentially plausible. It has now created a page of garbage. That is the problem.

But posting Price is Right and Princess bride stuff is not garbage and ok?

It is not entertaining. Linking tweets from people with four followers is beyond even potentially plausible. It has now created a page of garbage. That is the problem.

But posting Price is Right and Princess bride stuff is not garbage and ok?

No, I found that to be a little out there too. This off season has dragged on too long and the posts are all getting pretty iffy. Doesn’t help most of that is in response to garbage stuff already posted.

I still can not believe the long list of posters here who don't want cobb at a very reasonable 45/3 type deal. Dreaming on arrieta (bad idea in my opinion) and yu was one thing. But last guy standing. Clearly would be our 3. Upside. Stuff that ages well. A guy you'd want in a playoff rotation. Buying in a depressed market.

I don't know who would be good enough for some of you. Would anyone plausible be a big enough upgrade over Miley? These guys must be lined up ready to hand away our farm except for hiura lutz and I'm sure the guy they want has a 4.0 era and a K spiked fip.

We have a chance to be one of the big buyers in the market, which is insanely rare and some dudes don't want us to open the door. I just don't get it.

It's 4 options left:

I see the mlb thread and we land cobb... fantastic dancing cheering fantastic unless the contract really surprises me.

I see the mlb thread and cobb goes elsewhere... furious throwing things furious unless the contract really surprises me.

He shaves .2 runs off our rotation era if he can go 180 innings and be the guy he was last year and he was meh. That puts the team in 90 win strata. Yet, pass?

Watching gb trade for Kizer and cut the wrong wr for a TE who is on fumes has me panicked this franchise is going off a cliff... give me this!

My thought is, I guess who cares if someone posts some tweet from a guy with four followers, or some info they heard from their garbage man. It's ok to dismiss it. We don't need to respond to every post either. At this point, I'm not going to get excited about anything unless it's coming from a legit source in the media. That's my choice, and everyone else can make up their own mind on how they choose to digest information. As Brew4U said, check your sources. Just because something is on the internet, doesn't make it true.

The account with 4 followers predicted JD Martinez to Boston (obvious) and Arrieta to Philly in late February.

However, I'd bet a lot of money that someone created 5 accounts and guessed various free agent locations and whichever one was right would be used to gain steam to try to get followers/clout.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The account with 4 followers predicted JD Martinez to Boston (obvious) and Arrieta to Philly in late February.

However, I'd bet a lot of money that someone created 5 accounts and guessed various free agent locations and whichever one was right would be used to gain steam to try to get followers/clout.

Or threw up a bunch of predictions, and simply deleted the ones that turned out wrong.

My thought is, I guess who cares if someone posts some tweet from a guy with four followers, or some info they heard from their garbage man. It's ok to dismiss it. We don't need to respond to every post either. At this point, I'm not going to get excited about anything unless it's coming from a legit source in the media. That's my choice, and everyone else can make up their own mind on how they choose to digest information. As Brew4U said, check your sources. Just because something is on the internet, doesn't make it true.

For me, I would at least ask that you include the actual tweet in your post and/or some sort of follow up opinions/reasons as to why you found it interesting or worth discussing. When the entire post is a single link, it infers it's something that requires no explanation or follow up and when that's in a forum about possibly signing the last remaining quality free agent I assume it's some sort of actual news. So when I have to click into it to see what it is and it ends up being a random twitter account making up fake news, it's kind of irking.

I still can not believe the long list of posters here who don't want cobb at a very reasonable 45/3 type deal. Dreaming on arrieta (bad idea in my opinion) and yu was one thing. But last guy standing. Clearly would be our 3. Upside. Stuff that ages well. A guy you'd want in a playoff rotation. Buying in a depressed market.

I don't know who would be good enough for some of you. Would anyone plausible be a big enough upgrade over Miley? These guys must be lined up ready to hand away our farm except for hiura lutz and I'm sure the guy they want has a 4.0 era and a K spiked fip.

We have a chance to be one of the big buyers in the market, which is insanely rare and some dudes don't want us to open the door. I just don't get it.

It's 4 options left:

I see the mlb thread and we land cobb... fantastic dancing cheering fantastic unless the contract really surprises me.

I see the mlb thread and cobb goes elsewhere... furious throwing things furious unless the contract really surprises me.

He shaves .2 runs off our rotation era if he can go 180 innings and be the guy he was last year and he was meh. That puts the team in 90 win strata. Yet, pass?

Watching gb trade for Kizer and cut the wrong wr for a TE who is on fumes has me panicked this franchise is going off a cliff... give me this!

I'd love to sign Cobb. My only worry is that while we could probably handle $106M payroll this year, that would balloon next year with arby raises. Unless we were able to shed some salary without hurting the team, we probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

I think it comes down to whether we were better off giving the money to Cain or Cobb and Stearns chose Cain, expecting to trade Santana for a young starter (which obviously didn't happen).

We're probably hoping Cobb will follow Lynn and accept a one-year deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Why do people waste so much time creating these alternate personas on Twitter? It is literally just ego so you can say you have X number of followers? Man I got better things to do than make up crap on the internet to pump up my own self worth.

Back on topic I was half expecting once Arrieta signed that Cobb would sign right away after that. I am curious what the hold up is with him; by now he knows what the market is and who is interested and I don't think it is worth it to wait and hope a starter gets hurt here in the next couple weeks. Just sign and get to camp so you can contribute before May.

Back on topic I was half expecting once Arrieta signed that Cobb would sign right away after that. I am curious what the hold up is with him; by now he knows what the market is and who is interested and I don't think it is worth it to wait and hope a starter gets hurt here in the next couple weeks. Just sign and get to camp so you can contribute before May.

The problem may be that his market has expanded, as teams who were waiting on Arrieta to decide (and thought that they were in with a real chance) have now switched focus to Cobb as the "best option remaining"... who knows - it may actually spark a bidding war where one didn't exist before.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

The problem may be that his market has expanded, as teams who were waiting on Arrieta to decide (and thought that they were in with a real chance) have now switched focus to Cobb as the "best option remaining"... who knows - it may actually spark a bidding war where one didn't exist before.

Conversely, since Cobb was likened more to Lynn than to Arrieta, it's possible that he's only receiving one-year offers and he's holding out in hopes someone will break and give him a multi-year deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

David Stearns on not adding another pitcher, via @1057FMTheFan: "we like the guys we have...we just didn't find something that made sense. The players that we identified as meaningful improvements over what we have didn't make sense cost-wise."

Sounds like the Cobb bus has left the gate.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
David Stearns on not adding another pitcher, via @1057FMTheFan: "we like the guys we have...we just didn't find something that made sense. The players that we identified as meaningful improvements over what we have didn't make sense cost-wise."

Sounds like the Cobb bus has left the gate.

Yep, I saw the same thing. I have thought for awhile that this is just GM-speak, but at some point I guess we have to take him at his word. So apparently the rumored interest was all smoke?

I guess Cobb doesn't move the needle. I swear, though, that if he signs a cheap deal somewhere and pitches well, while we watch Wade Miley slog through 5 innings a start while giving up 5 runs, I'm going to be even more disappointed.

There's whispers of Yankees and Cobb talking... Yea we're not getting Alex... So disappointed!

THEN Woodruff better be in our rotation...

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Suter

^ is our best shot at surviving until Jimmy comes back.

There's whispers of Yankees and Cobb talking... Yea we're not getting Alex... So disappointed!

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Suter

Woodruff isn't going to be in the opening day rotation.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Suter

Woodruff isn't going to be in the opening day rotation.

Says who? He's still in Major League camp, looked really good yesterday.

Archived