Brewer Fanatic

Alex Cobb (Part 3)

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think teams are waiting to see Spring performances on Keon and Phillips. Auditions basically. Broxton is very talented athlete and offers excellent defense, speed on the bases, power, and ability to walk. Issue is streaks and K's. Outside of Ks per usual, he has had a nice spring. I am sure at end of spring either Santana or more likely Broxton will be traded. Think Stearns are waiting to see how realistic Braun platooning at 1B is. If Braun is capable, think it'd be dumb to trade Santana right now. He helps make our offense one of the most dangerous in NL. If Braun can't play 1B much at all, then you need to trade Santana. Just wont be enough ABs for Braun, Yelich, Cain. Having versatile Broxton as 4th OF makes much more sense. Phillips has been awful offensively and cemented a AAA spot. Didn't do much to show any team he is MLB ready easy this spring so they'd need to buy September performance and tools. Doubt he is traded.

As for Cobb, I say at this point.... a Lynn deal or nothing. We have some good prospects who will be knocking on door pretty quickly plus Woodruff. Nelson back by mid June hopefully. I'm not nearly as frantic as most fans are over our rotation.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Think teams are waiting to see Spring performances on Keon and Phillips. Auditions basically. Broxton is very talented athlete and offers excellent defense, speed on the bases, power, and ability to walk. Issue is streaks and K's. Outside of Ks per usual, he has had a nice spring. I am sure at end of spring either Santana or more likely Broxton will be traded. Think Stearns are waiting to see how realistic Braun platooning at 1B is. If Braun is capable, think it'd be dumb to trade Santana right now. He helps make our offense one of the most dangerous in NL. If Braun can't play 1B much at all, then you need to trade Santana. Just wont be enough ABs for Braun, Yelich, Cain. Having versatile Broxton as 4th OF makes much more sense. Phillips has been awful offensively and cemented a AAA spot. Didn't do much to show any team he is MLB ready easy this spring so they'd need to buy September performance and tools. Doubt he is traded.

As for Cobb, I say at this point.... a Lynn deal or nothing. We have some good prospects who will be knocking on door pretty quickly plus Woodruff. Nelson back by mid June hopefully. I'm not nearly as frantic as most fans are over our rotation.

You don't just trade Santana because Braun can't play first base. Braunny can't play everyday more than likely, I'd suspect 120 games at minimum, 140 at maximum. If he's closer to 140, then great, but you don't just trade Santana for a bag of baseballs. He is a very good talent to have around, regardless if he gets a lot of at bats. I think a lot of teams would beg to have the kind of outfield depth we have, and Stearns understands that. He isn't going to succumb to some bogus trade that teams offer just because we have such depth. In the end, if there's a team that really wants a strong outfielder, they will come forth, but that isn't going to be early. The rumors that he's been shopped have been around since November, and I sincerely believe there's truth to that. I start to get annoyed with some people who have a total homer personality, whether its about avoiding salary, or whether your Brewers are worth so much in a trade. Keon isn't worth anything right now, he's a total non trade option, unless you want 1 or 2 lottery tickets at best.

Alex Cobb

Cobb is the highest-profile starter remaining after both Arrieta and Lance Lynn signed this past weekend. The right-hander set career highs in wins (12) and innings pitched (179 1/3) for the Rays in 2017, his first full season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. Cobb owns a career 3.50 ERA over 115 starts, and he represents a fine middle-of-the-rotation option for contending clubs. He rejected Tampa Bay's one-year qualifying offer of $17.4 million, meaning teams are likely weighing the benefit cost of having to surrender a Draft pick or possibly international bonus pool money.

Possible fits: Twins, Brewers, Rangers

I know this doesnt mean much but I like not seeing Baltimore listed... I doubt the Twins or Rangers add any more SPs.

Some have indicated the O's don't want to give up a draft pick.

Odd since they pretty much trade away any comp pick it seems or their International allotments.

I never suggested trade Santana for nothing. I’m 100% believer in DS & he isn’t going to just make a trade to do so. I’m sure he has good groundwork laid already for a Santana deal but seeing how Spring goes. Make sure we are healthy. Find out what Braun offers at 1B. Etc.

What I did say is it makes more sense to trade Santana over Broxton if Braun pencils in at only OF. You hope 120-140 games with him. That leaves 20-40 starts for Santana in RF. Cain & Yelich if stay healthy don’t need many days off. At absolute most you figure only about 40 more starts available there. So you are taking a young 25 year old kid coming off 30HRs .280 ave & .875 OPS & leaving him 60-80 starts & pinch hits... that doesn’t help his value or development. Broxton is the better fit for this team in that scenario. He’s a 4th OF. Santana is an everyday bat.

I find it funny that some think just because DS hasn’t pulled the trigger on trading Santana or Broxton yet, they have no value. The whole “if they had value, they’d be gone by now” thought process is simply an armchair GM stance. DS & his team have a plan for the log jam. They most likely have things lined up depending on different outcomes of spring. If I was him, I’d like to see if Braun works at 1B as well first before making any choices. I’d want to make sure we are healthy. Santana is great asset for us. Make sure there is no room for him before you trade him away

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I never suggested trade Santana for nothing. I’m 100% believer in DS & he isn’t going to just make a trade to do so. I’m sure he has good groundwork laid already for a Santana deal but seeing how Spring goes. Make sure we are healthy. Find out what Braun offers at 1B. Etc.

What I did say is it makes more sense to trade Santana over Broxton if Braun pencils in at only OF. You hope 120-140 games with him. That leaves 20-40 starts for Santana in RF. Cain & Yelich if stay healthy don’t need many days off. At absolute most you figure only about 40 more starts available there. So you are taking a young 25 year old kid coming off 30HRs .280 ave & .875 OPS & leaving him 60-80 starts & pinch hits... that doesn’t help his value or development. Broxton is the better fit for this team in that scenario. He’s a 4th OF. Santana is an everyday bat.

I find it funny that some think just because DS hasn’t pulled the trigger on trading Santana or Broxton yet, they have no value. The whole “if they had value, they’d be gone by now” thought process is simply an armchair GM stance. DS & his team have a plan for the log jam. They most likely have things lined up depending on different outcomes of spring. If I was him, I’d like to see if Braun works at 1B as well first before making any choices. I’d want to make sure we are healthy. Santana is great asset for us. Make sure there is no room for him before you trade him away

I really like this post. Thank you for articulating this point better than I could have.

Yes glad DS did move Santana just because he in a logjam in the OF.

What? Lol, is this sarcasm? Or not, I don't know because of peoples opinions on this board

I don't think it's sarcasm. brewmann04 pretty much says what's on his mind. I believe he means that he's glad Stearns didn't move Santana just because there's a logjam in the OF and 1B.

Trading Broxton now would be selling at rock bottom. Coming off a down year with his Avg and striking out a ton. Also every team in the league knows we have a log jam in front of him. Why would any team give up anything of value for him?

That isn't my point here. Do I think that Santana has value and can help another team? Yes, I do. Do I think that other teams see the flaws in Santanas game and don't want to give up great value to get him right now? Yes I do. The guy is one of the worst outfielders defensively in the game, I'm not sure if you can get much worse than him. He is good offensively, which if we didn't have Braun, I wouldn't care about the fact that hes bad defensively. The reasons teams are scared of trading good value for him (not great), is because they think hes reached his ceiling. Would you want a player whose going to decline offensively over the next 3 years for a few bigger prospects/decent big league players, who is atrocious defensively? Now on top of that, do I think that Santana has reached his potential? It's possible, and I'm all for trading high. I'm not somebody whose against trading Santana, I'd love to do it because it makes our situation in the outfield much simpler. I'm just playing devils advocate, and you have to see it from the other perspective, in which other teams clearly see his flaws. You can't blame the "slow" offseason anymore, now that all of these free agents have signed. Every team that the Brewers have been linked to decided to cheap free agents as opposed to paying up in trade value for the primo younger outfielder coming off a good offensive season. All signs point to the fact that teams don't like him.

Trading Broxton now would be selling at rock bottom. Coming off a down year with his Avg and striking out a ton. Also every team in the league knows we have a log jam in front of him. Why would any team give up anything of value for him?

For the last time... markets aren't set by what you have they are set by what 29 teams want/need.

He's at rock bottom? ... no... becuase 1 more year of limited production with no options is worthless... thats rock bottom. He's simply not worth a lot. We got him for nothing then he had a streak. Why is he supposed to be worth something? He's worth more than he was worth when we got him and teams will give up something to fill a need. He's a 4th OF with some upside because hes a 20/20 guy.

There wasn't a sell high point on broxton. He's just better than rogers.

For the last time... markets aren't set by what you have they are set by what 29 teams want/need.

He's at rock bottom? ... no... becuase 1 more year of limited production with no options is worthless... thats rock bottom. He's simply not worth a lot. We got him for nothing then he had a streak. Why is he supposed to be worth something? He's worth more than he was worth when we got him and teams will give up something to fill a need. He's a 4th OF with some upside because hes a 20/20 guy.

I guess my point is, why trade him at all then? He could do good, he could do bad, but you can put him in AAA, and if a couple of people get hurt, you can bring him up and he can soak up some innings. I never want the guy as an everyday outfielder, but at this point if you're trading him for nothing, don't trade him for anything at all.

Well with an option he wouldn't go for nothing. He'd get lottery ticket youth which is the best we could ever expect via trade. That's the point. A lottery ticket or 2 is worth it when we have phillips. In 2019 broxton'll end up cut.

I guess my point is, why trade him at all then? He could do good, he could do bad, but you can put him in AAA, and if a couple of people get hurt, you can bring him up and he can soak up some innings. I never want the guy as an everyday outfielder, but at this point if you're trading him for nothing, don't trade him for anything at all.

I think you are underestimating his value. Look at the package Souza got back. Profile is somewhat similar. I would maybe not expect that much, but his value isn't far off of that.

I think you are underestimating his value. Look at the package Souza got back. Profile is somewhat similar. I would maybe not expect that much, but his value isn't far off of that.

Joey - Keon vs Souza is not even close in production. While only a year apart age wise, Souza posted a 4.2 WAR last season (6.0 for career). Keon posted 0.4 WAR last season (2.4 on career).

Keon might be of most value to the Crew but if DS can get something else of value for Keon, he should make the deal...

Joey - Keon vs Souza is not even close in production. While only a year apart age wise, Souza posted a 4.2 WAR last season (6.0 for career). Keon posted 0.4 WAR last season (2.4 on career).

Keon might be of most value to the Crew but if DS can get something else of value for Keon, he should make the deal...

One year does not a career make. Souza had a nice season last year, but before that the profile nearly mirrored Broxton. Souza is a decent power bat that is going to strike out a ton with a low average. Broxton is a decent power bat that is going to strike out a ton with a low average. They profile very similarly, one year of production aside. Difference is Broxton can play CF and offers more speed, albeit with a lower average.

I still say Keon goes this week, and I'm not really expecting a real big return. But it isn't going to be a trash return, either.

One year does not a career make. Souza had a nice season last year, but before that the profile nearly mirrored Broxton. Souza is a decent power bat that is going to strike out a ton with a low average. Broxton is a decent power bat that is going to strike out a ton with a low average. They profile very similarly, one year of production aside. Difference is Broxton can play CF and offers more speed, albeit with a lower average.

I still say Keon goes this week, and I'm not really expecting a real big return. But it's isn't going to be a trash return, either.

You do recall what they say about trash - One man's trash might be another man's treasure.

Keon might well be traded this week. Time will tell.

But Souza landed 4 pieces for TB. 2 ranked prospects & 2 PTBNL. Rumor/ reports are the last 2 will be prospects with some value, not the typical filler.

I doubt Broxton (by himself) brings back more than 1 piece. It might be a prospect ranked somewhere on some list (one can hope) but it would be 1 piece.

I still say Keon goes this week, and I'm not really expecting a real big return. But it's isn't going to be a trash return, either.

You do recall what they say about trash - One man's trash might be another man's treasure.

Keon might well be traded this week. Time will tell.

But Souza landed 4 pieces for TB. 2 ranked prospects & 2 PTBNL. Rumor/ reports are the last 2 will be prospects with some value, not the typical filler.

I doubt Broxton (by himself) brings back more than 1 piece. It might be a prospect ranked somewhere on some list (one can hope) but it would be 1 piece.

I thought the Rays did very well in the Souza deal. In fact, if a team offered a similar package for Santana, I'd be tempted to take it. I agree on Broxton ... they may only get 1-2 pieces back. But the return will be something everyone here is happy with I think.

Archived