Brewer Fanatic

Alex Cobb (Part 3)

For me, the signing of Chacin was the illogical move.

At AAA, the Crew had Jungmann, Derby, Ventura, Woodruff, and Wilkerson - with Burnes and Ortiz at AA - and Guerra as a AAAA option.

With Nelson out, this was a chance to give some of them a shot - even if you got Yelich and Cain.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me, the signing of Chacin was the illogical move.

At AAA, the Crew had Jungmann, Derby, Ventura, Woodruff, and Wilkerson - with Burnes and Ortiz at AA - and Guerra as a AAAA option.

With Nelson out, this was a chance to give some of them a shot - even if you got Yelich and Cain.

Were you not interested in winning at all this year if this is what you wanted to do? We’d have one of the worst rotations in MLB if we went this route most likely. Which I think it’s perfectly fine if you want to see what we exactly have in guys and that’s longer term thinking but any ideas of winning games would be out the window if we went this way.

If the Brewers were smart they would build their roster for 2018 with the notion that Jimmy Nelson won't throw a pitch for the team.

That way, anything he contributes in the 2nd half will be a shot in the arm for the rotation.

I think it's foolish to assume he returns from that injury pitching like he did at his peak last season.

Let's see what we have to work with:

Chase Anderson- good #3 starter on a playoff team

Zach Davies- good #4 starter on a playoff team

Jhoulys Chacin- decent #5 starter on a playoff team

Brent Suter- passable #5 starter/good swingman on a playoff team

Junior Guerra- complete wildcard who could be a passable #4-5 starter on a playoff team

Yovani Gallardo- love him,but close to having fork stuck in his career that maybe passable #5 starter on a non-playoff team

Wade Miley- Tommy Milone 2.0 (aka "train wreck")

Youngsters:

Brandon Woodruff- needs MLB innings but will go through growing pains that a playoff team shouldn't endure, TRADE CANDIDATE

Corbin Burnes- Would only count on for a September call-up, shot-in-the-arm for this season or TRADE CANDIDATE for a Chris Archer type

Luis Ortiz- not ready for MLB innings until 2019

Adam Wilkerson- If he's getting starts before September then the Brewers obviously aren't contending

Stearns possible plans at this point:

A. Sign Cobb to be #3 starter, hoping Anderson is a legit #2 and hoping Nelson is back pitching like an ACE by trading deadline.

B. Half-arsche cobble together the first half Starting Pitching and if the Brewers are within 3-5 games of WC by mid-July go after a Chris Archer type.

Not a fan of plan A or B.

Hopefully it becomes a combination of Plan A and B at this point and Brewers get extremely lucky and contend for a Wild Card this year.

Plan A is much better to me unless Cobb is much more expensive than advertised. If things go south, the Brewers can probably survive the 2-3 years @ $12-15 million/year remaining after 2018 to keep building.

Plan B has the potential to derail the Brewers completely for 5 years if it doesn't work.

If the Brewers were smart they would build their roster for 2018 with the notion that Jimmy Nelson won't throw a pitch for the team.

That way, anything he contributes in the 2nd half will be a shot in the arm for the rotation.

I think it's foolish to assume he returns from that injury pitching like he did at his peak last season.

Let's see what we have to work with:

Chase Anderson- good #3 starter on a playoff team

Zach Davies- good #4 starter on a playoff team

Jhoulys Chacin- decent #5 starter on a playoff team

Brent Suter- passable #5 starter/good swingman on a playoff team

Junior Guerra- complete wildcard who could be a passable #4-5 starter on a playoff team

Yovani Gallardo- love him,but close to having fork stuck in his career that maybe passable #5 starter on a non-playoff team

Wade Miley- Tommy Milone 2.0 (aka "train wreck")

Youngsters:

Brandon Woodruff- needs MLB innings but will go through growing pains that a playoff team shouldn't endure, TRADE CANDIDATE

Corbin Burnes- Would only count on for a September call-up, shot-in-the-arm for this season or TRADE CANDIDATE for a Chris Archer type

Luis Ortiz- not ready for MLB innings until 2019

Adam Wilkerson- If he's getting starts before September then the Brewers obviously aren't contending

Stearns possible plans at this point:

A. Sign Cobb to be #3 starter, hoping Anderson is a legit #2 and hoping Nelson is back pitching like an ACE by trading deadline.

B. Half-arsche cobble together the first half Starting Pitching and if the Brewers are within 3-5 games of WC by mid-July go after a Chris Archer type.

Not a fan of plan A or B.

Hopefully it becomes a combination of Plan A and B at this point and Brewers get extremely lucky and contend for a Wild Card this year.

This seems very pessimistic. The rotation was the strength of the team last year. Im not sure, I see more value here.

With Miley, Guerra, and Suter all looking serviceable so far in ST the Brewers probably are not willing to move off of their number. We only need 2 of the 3 I listed to fill out the rotation. Would have the 3rd, along with Woodruff, Wilkerson, and Gallardo all as depth options. If the Brewers offense, defense, and beginning of the year bullpen are ahead of last year, anything respectable from our 4/5 starters would get us to the All-Star break still in contention.

Is this the longest thread there has been on this site? If not the longest, it has to be pretty close by now.

This is what I think the Brewers need to do:

1. Sign Alex Cobb for 3 years (probably less than $40M)

2. Have Jimmy Nelson back pitching to his peak 2017 level by end of 2018

3. If 1-2 happen, the Brewers could go after a young controllable SP at the trading deadline, if not might as well "wait til next year" on a playoff push

4. Trade Domingo Santana before his value takes a Villar-esque dive.

5. Trade Keon Broxton to re-stock the farm with a couple of nice prospects.

6. Be open to trading Brandon Woodruff or Luis Ortiz to improve MLB team. In fact, be open to trading any current Brewers minor leaguer not named Hiura, Lutz or Burnes.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

3. If 1-2 happen, the Brewers could go after a young controllable SP at the trading deadline, if not might as well "wait til next year" on a playoff push

6. Be open to trading Brandon Woodruff or Luis Ortiz to improve MLB team. In fact, be open to trading any current Brewers minor leaguer not named Hiura, Lutz or Burnes.

I agree on all of those.

1. It would sure be nice if it were that cheap, but I doubt it.

2. That would be fantastic. All accounts indicate he's throwing, and will be back on a mound either by the end of camp or soon after the start of the season. Call me an optimist, but I think that puts him back in the rotation in early June.

3. That wouldn't surprise me.

4. I 100% agree. I get the feeling the team has been trying to deal him, though, and aren't getting the return they are looking for.

5. Yep, and I'd venture to guess it will happen this week.

6. Yep. I'd take it further and be open to deal Burnes in limited situations, especially if someone like Fulmer is involved in the return.

I think Cobb would be worth giving up the draft pick for, especially on an affordable multi-year deal.

I'd be surprised if the Brewers FO disagreed.

However, maybe losing the pool money is more of a deterrent than I believe it is.

Tom Haudricourt never has any inside info but did send out a Tweet today that makes it sound like he does.

@Haudricourt

RHP Alex Cobb remains on free agent market but I do not expect #Brewers to be in on him unless price comes down.

11:03 AM - 12 Mar 2018 from Phoenix, AZ

I agree with all this and think all are smart and realistic except 2 and 5 I think are a little off. On 2 "Have" should be "Hope" and for 5 Broxton by himself isn't going to re-stock anything. I'd be pretty surprised if he'd bring back more than an A ball wildcard, some former decently ranked prospect who's fallen due to injury/performance or like a AAAA outcast or guy who doesn't have a great spot on a team like Aguilar.

Ok, its how many months into the off season? Domingo hasn't been traded, he more than likely won't be. If the Brewers had a reasonable haul for the guy, there is no doubt that he would've been traded by now. The only situation Santana is traded for anything reasonable, is if some team has a desperate need for outfielder and one of theirs goes down. The guy isn't going to be traded before the off-season is over, I think we need to get over that. If he plays well, and some team wants some offensive pop, then maybe you'll see the guy moved by the trade deadline, but other than that, temper your expectations.

As for Keon, the guy sucks. Any team asking on him right now is asking to buy low. The Brewers know he had a bad season, and everyone else in baseball knows he had a bad season. If you guys (which some people overvalue him imo) think he is any good, why would you trade him now? If he has the potential to be a decent outfielder, whats the bother? If he sits in AAA, and has some good numbers, that's going to drive his value up, albeit slightly, but more than the garbage he would attract right now.

I suspect no moves further made by the Brewers by the end of the offseason, which is disappointing to me. I wish they'd just sign Cobb. Lynn really didn't get a good deal at all, and I don't think Cobbs asking price would be much higher. Just give him the money

I Tweet It, It Is So

I Tweet It, It Is So

@basesloadedwalk

Source - Expect Cobb to get 3 yr deal between $43-$48mil. #Brewers still in the running. He will likely make his decision in next few days. @brewers @Acobb53

7:22 PM · Mar 11, 2018

All he will do in the minors is mash AAA pitching at an old age and burn his last option. Might cause a loss of value instead.

Having someone mash in AAA, as opposed to batting .220 in the majors gives a larger return, especially after having some major league experience.

All he will do in the minors is mash AAA pitching at an old age and burn his last option. Might cause a loss of value instead.

Having someone mash in AAA, as opposed to batting .220 in the majors gives a larger return, especially after having some major league experience.

Well he has zero chance of making the team, so that is irrelevant. It is trade or AAA.

I Tweet It, It Is So

I Tweet It, It Is So

@basesloadedwalk

Source - Expect Cobb to get 3 yr deal between $43-$48mil. #Brewers still in the running. He will likely make his decision in next few days. @brewers @Acobb53

7:22 PM · Mar 11, 2018

Would happily take 48/3

Archived