Brewer Fanatic

Would you rather win one world series or consistently have winning seasons??

gebc1997
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Win the world series, and it isn't even close.

Ditto.

+1. There is only one reason we play the game. My answer might be a little different if we ever won one... but we haven't. I've followed the Brewers since '87 and we have only had a few good seasons in those years. I can take another 9 years of bad baseball for one WS victory. Easy choice.

Win the world series, and it isn't even close.

Ditto.

+1. There is only one reason we play the game. My answer might be a little different if we ever won one... but we haven't. I've followed the Brewers since '87 and we have only had a few good seasons in those years. I can take another 9 years of bad baseball for one WS victory. Easy choice.

Yeah, I don't know what the point of being consistently competitive would be if winning the series was ruled out.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Let me reword my original question

Flash forward to spring 2028........

Would you rather......

A. Brewers won the world series in 2018, followed by the 9 losing seasons.

Or

B. Brewers made the playoffs 7 times some with deep runs, but never won the title.

Yes, but I've seen the Packers win a couple Super Bowls already. I would gladly give up 9 Brewer losing seasons to see them do something I never thought was possible growing up. Then again, I've always enjoyed watching baseball and rooting for the Crew no matter how bad they were.

Under the revised scenario the answer is still and always will be A.

Give me that feeling, that excitement, that parade, that memory at least once in my lifetime. This isn't something I want to gamble on. I wish such a guarantee was possible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I still go with B. Winning a championship would be nice but 1 championship doesn’t make up for 9 losing seasons. For us Packer fans, imagine enduring 9 2017 seasons after the 2010 Super Bowl. The Packers would still have two more seasons of losing to endure to make 9 seasons.

Remember that QB that led his team to the playoffs 7 times in 10 years? Then was inducted to the Hall of the Very Good? Nah, me neither. :laughing

People remember the teams that are epic failures at winning their championships. The Vikings and Bills have lost 4 Super Bowls without winning any. The Cubs were known for not winning a WS in 100+ years. Now that curse is broken.

We have waited long enough for one...I wish to be excluded from the "no championship club". Here in MN, Twins fans make fun of me for being a Brewer fan. I remind them that they cheer for the Vikings while I'm a Packer fan. So its a draw...

'93-'04 were some tough years, but I can look back on them and laugh now. If the Brewers ever win the WS, I can easily handle 9 losing seasons if that is the price to be paid. Winning records are nice but no number of them is any substitute for a championship.

I swear this question has a thread devoted to it every year and 90% of people go with the World Series. That will be a rememorable season for life.

All you need to do is ask a fan of a team consistently winning with no World Series for your answer. Pretty sure they will all trade the winning seasons for a World Series.

This is a slam dunk no brainer for me. Win the World Series. We’ve never won one as the Brewers. After I witnessed the Packers win in 96 in person I felt anything else in the future for the Pack would be gravy. Bucks and Marquette need one also, although I watched the 77 game.

While it doesn't fit the question perfectly, would you rather be a fan of the Dodger or Marlins?

Over the last 20 years the Marlins have won 2 World Series, made the playoffs twice, and been over .500 six times.

Over the last 20 years the Dodgers have won 0 World Series, made the playoffs 9 times, and been over .500 18 times.

While it doesn't fit the question perfectly, would you rather be a fan of the Dodger or Marlins?

Over the last 20 years the Marlins have won 2 World Series, made the playoffs twice, and been over .500 six times.

Over the last 20 years the Dodgers have won 0 World Series, made the playoffs 9 times, and been over .500 18 times.

Easy........MARLINS!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

world series. and then they can lose 100 games for the next decade. but please win the world series before i die.

Same for me. I’ve seen plenty of mediocre/losing Brewers teams in the 30+ years I’ve been a Brewers fan. What’s nine more if you win it all?

Also, I’ve seen lots of mention of the Packers over the last 20 years. I’d trade the consistent winning (minus a couple bad seasons) for a few more Lombardi trophies during that period. I always say, only winning two Super Bowls during the Favre and Rodgers era is a shame and a disappointment.

I follow the Brewers for more than just seeing the team win a WS. While I would love to see it happen, I'm not so sure I would give up 9 seasons of good baseball for one year if complete success. I guess if I knew the team would suck every year after 2018 I would go with a decade of good baseball. Mostly because I wouldn't be able to enjoy a WS the way I should knowing the next decade was going to suck. I don't think the 2024 me would be all that happy just reliving 2018 over and over again while watching putridity on the field. If the question was, would I take a decade of bad baseball knowing at the end we would win it all, at least I'd have something to look forward to. As it was stated it's not worth the price.

Thankfully it isn't a problem I'll have to deal with since the question isn't based in reality.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Marlin started in 1993 has won 2 world series.

The Milwaukee Brewers started in 1970 has won 0 world series.

My choice is definitely still A, it's imperative that the Brewers win a world series. Even the Bucks have won the NBA championship and have the championship gold patch on their unis.

The oldest team without the title, the Astros have finally won their first world series last year, the Brewers and Padres are now the oldest teams without the world series title.

The way the question was asked means there is no reason to watch the next nine years. How many people who say they would trade one WS next year for nine years of suckitude are really going to be happy watching games in 2024 just by looking back on that one magical season? I loved the Brewers 82 season but it didn't help make the 90's Bando era teams any more fun to watch because I knew we had no chance and no future until he was gone. I seriously doubt winning it all would have done any more for me. Frankly the idea of knowing the outcome either way ruins the whole point IMHO.

If the question was, would I take a decade of bad baseball knowing at the end we would win it all, at least I'd have something to look forward to. As it was stated it's not worth the price.

From a certain point of view it is asking would you take 50 years of bad baseball with a few good seasons sprinkled in if it means you win a World Series in year 51.

The way the question was asked means there is no reason to watch the next nine years. How many people who say they would trade one WS next year for nine years of suckitude are really going to be happy watching games in 2024 just by looking back on that one magical season? I loved the Brewers 82 season but it didn't help make the 90's Bando era teams any more fun to watch because I knew we had no chance and no future until he was gone. I seriously doubt winning it all would have done any more for me. Frankly the idea of knowing the outcome either way ruins the whole point IMHO.

This precisely almost pushed me to abandoning the Brewers entirely around 2002. While I loved certain players of that era, Cirillo, Burnitz, Jenkins and Sexson, I was so frustrated about the Brewers never being good and seemingly never having a plan on how to get there that I flirted with becoming a fan of my hometown Dodgers. Winning a World Series and having to endure another decade of Brewers teams without direction does not sound enjoyable in the least.

I honestly don't see a bad stretch like that happening again unless something drastic changes. This team went 25 seasons between playoff appearances. A lot of that had to do with the Selig ownership group. They did not have a winning mindset, after 1992 all they ever did was make excuses about why they couldn't spend money to compete. Some of the excuses were based in truth, but they showed almost zero ability to think outside the box to try to piece together competitive teams.

With the way MLB is structured today with revenue sharing and with the current ownership group that kind of ineptitude should be easier to avoid. It's still difficult for Milwaukee to field consistent winners year after year after year but the dips into losing shouldn't be as long and terrible.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

That's the problem with hypothetical questions, see I read it as you wouldn't know the result going into each season. So you wouldn't know 9 seasons would be horrible up front. Even so though, I would still take the WS title.

That's the problem with hypothetical questions, see I read it as you wouldn't know the result going into each season. So you wouldn't know 9 seasons would be horrible up front. Even so though, I would still take the WS title.

I guess if it was worded to say: looking back after a decade would you rather see one championship and 9 losing seasons or nine playoff appearances and no championship, it would be a harder choice. Even then, if I was in the year 2028 and looked back and saw one World Series win a decade ago and nine losing seasons after that I would probably be more disappointed than if I looked back on a bunch of postseasons but no championship. But that is a much harder thing to choose from than knowing the next nine years are going to suck.

I look at our friends down I94 who waited 108 years for a World Series Title.

While I want to see a Title for the franchise, I would rather see competitive baseball for extended periods of time rather then a “go for it now” followed by a firesale and no plan to rebuild.

Archived