Brewer Fanatic

Would you rather win one world series or consistently have winning seasons??

gebc1997

Would you rather:

A. Win a world series in 2018 but then never finish above 500 for the next 9 years.

Or

B. Have 8 winning seasons and 7 playoff appearances but never win it all over those same 10 years. Including deep playoff runs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A, because if I already know we aren't going to win it all in B, where's the enjoyment of the playoff runs?

Now if you had said either a guaranteed World Series or 7 playoff appearances with hope but no guarantee, I would take B for the enjoyment and promise of the race every season.

A, because if I already know we aren't going to win it all in B, where's the enjoyment of the playoff runs?

Now if you had said either a guaranteed World Series or 7 playoff appearances with hope but no guarantee, I would take B for the enjoyment and promise of the race every season.

+1

A. I want the Brewers to win the series, period.

If current rules were in place in the 70's-80's the Brewers would have been in the playoffs 4-6 times during their run. And nearly 40 years later all we do is fondly remember the team that lost the World Series.

Maybe the question would be better if you had to pick after the 10 years was over. I'd agree that if you knew you weren't gonna win the series it would take some of the fun out of the playoff chases

A for sure, one championship is way better than going to the playoffs 7 times. Really after those ten years it would be brutal to think they were good enough to make the playoffs so many times without finishing the deal and the franchise celebrating those golden years the rest of my life which would be about ten times worse than the way they celebrate that 1982 team now.

It's easy to say that you'd take the championship, as that's what it's all about. The better question is:

"Would you rather see the Brewers make moves to go all in for one season, or would you rather they try to build to have a solid team that can vie for the playoffs year-in and year-out."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It's easy to say that you'd take the championship, as that's what it's all about. The better question is:

"Would you rather see the Brewers make moves to go all in for one season, or would you rather they try to build to have a solid team that can vie for the playoffs year-in and year-out."

Option B. No question.

I think most would go for the year in and year out as if they are consistently in the playoffs chances are they will get lucky at least once. If they go all in for one season there is so much that can and most likely will go wrong and setting up for disappointment.

That wasn't the question at hand, of course, but the answer to your question is definitely build a consistent playoff level team. I would rather have a legit shot for 9 years than a great chance one year.

one world series and I honestly would not care what happened with the franchise after that

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Yeah, to me the question is basically asking do you want to win a world series or not, and again to me, the answer is obvious. I feel a better question would be win the world series this year and suck the next 9, or be competitive the next 10 with unknown results for those 10 years. If you want to define competitive, your 'b' qualifiers, minus the not winning it all, would be pretty good and in that case I would probably choose b.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

love how this is turning into a "I dont want to answer THAT question so i'll answer MY OWN question"

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

love how this is turning into a "I dont want to answer THAT question so i'll answer MY OWN question"

I did answer his question. I also thought the question was entirely in favor of 1 side, so i tried to even it out as well.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

In a world of guarantees (that don't exist), of course you take A. That's sticking strictly to the question asked. In the real world, you try to build something long term to give yourself as many chances to achieve the result in option A.

In essence, you choose A in fantasy land and choose route B in the real world.

I answered the initial question ("take the championship"), but like Brewer Fever said, it was based on guarantees in a non-guaranteed world.

So I asked what I thought was a more realistic question based on what a team could control without guarantees (strategy for building a team).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I choose B...especially since the question didn't specify that I would know prior that they wouldn't win the World Series. I want to enjoy every year of Brewer baseball with the idea they will be competitive and fighting for a championship.

I liken it to the Packers since Rodgers became the QB. While the playoff losses have been crushing (2014 Seahawks NFC championship game, 2015 Cardinals Divisional, 2012 49ers Divisional, 2011 Giants Divisional) every season I feel like they have a shot at winning the Super Bowl and that sure has made for a fun decade of Packer football.

A

Win a dang 'ship. The franchise nearing 50 years without one is too long already.

I'm an 80s kid, I've already weathered a longer drought than a measly 9 seasons, all without having a WS title in the pocket to look back fondly upon.

I would argue that since MA became the new owner in 2005 following this franchise has been fun. Don't need playoffs to have fun being a fan. Building the team up, peaking in 2011, having a couple seasons of getting off to good starts but falling off at the end and missing the playoffs. It's been eventful. I've enjoyed it.

B is tempting though. Maybe try asking some Buffalo Bills fans which outcome they'd take.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived