Brewer Fanatic

1b/OF log jam as an offensive strategy

TJseven7
Well, 26% of 162 is 42 games. So if he were to get to that 50-60 game mark at 1B, he will need to start some of them against RHP's, which is perfectly fine with me. Expecting a big year.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nah.

please try and avoid one and two word "drive by" posts. thanks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So is Braun playing more than them... no. But hes the oldest most injury prone of the bunch. Now 1b you'd expect roughly 95 starts vs rhp...67 vs lhp. Braun takes the 67 now up to 112 starts. DH games also add starts. Injuries to the big 5 (not braun) add starts. 120 starts for Braun isn't short changing him 1 bit. Its managing him. He's more of a starter than Thames though.

Yeah, pretty much agree with all of this. The in person reports on Braun are good. Assuming that and his health hold, then I can buy this. It's a different role for Braun but given his age and nagging injuries managing him in that way makes sense. Here's to hoping he's much better at first than he was at third.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• 4 weeks later...
The only problem I see with all of this, as Bork stated above, CC is going to give Perez plenty of starts in the outfield.

I mean, if Braun plays 123 games that almost assumes a trip to the DL right? During that trip Perez will be the backup 1b and the 4th OF, during that time he'll probably get 2 or 3 starts a week.

Even if nobody misses time and things work out "perfectly" a roster construction plan that ends up giving guys like Santana, Yelich, Braun and Cain less at bats that Villar and potentially around the same number as Perez just seems ... poorly thought out.

-Why would CC give starts to Perez in the OF? If he does this over the four he has on our roster, he should be fired on the spot and I'm not kidding. He may end up playing out there based on in-game substitutions or seasons injuries but if there are no injuries out there, there is no reason for him to be out there. He is an emergency OF on this team. That's it. Period.

My fears are coming true. CC can't stop playing mediocre guys as much as possible.

The only problem I see with all of this, as Bork stated above, CC is going to give Perez plenty of starts in the outfield.

I mean, if Braun plays 123 games that almost assumes a trip to the DL right? During that trip Perez will be the backup 1b and the 4th OF, during that time he'll probably get 2 or 3 starts a week.

Even if nobody misses time and things work out "perfectly" a roster construction plan that ends up giving guys like Santana, Yelich, Braun and Cain less at bats that Villar and potentially around the same number as Perez just seems ... poorly thought out.

-Why would CC give starts to Perez in the OF? If he does this over the four he has on our roster, he should be fired on the spot and I'm not kidding. He may end up playing out there based on in-game substitutions or seasons injuries but if there are no injuries out there, there is no reason for him to be out there. He is an emergency OF on this team. That's it. Period.

My fears are coming true. CC can't stop playing mediocre guys as much as possible.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Then play Thames in left and Aguilar at first. Mario Mendoza's lighter hitting brother shouldn't be holding down a corner outfield spot.

Thames probably breaks his hip out there. Made of glass as much of our roster is.

If the guys aren't going to play unless it's sunny, 75 and the outfield is made of bubble wrap, change your roster so you don't have to play a junior high figure skater in a corner outfield spot when all of your actual hitters are on the active roster.

If these guys are that fragile, the Brewers don't have the luxury of all the utility infielders they're carrying.

When the catcher position slashes .197/.319/.328/.647.

And the shortstop position slashes .169/.203/.225/.448.

Third base chips in a very mediocre .250/.288/.408/.695.

Second base sort of holds it's own but slashes a nothing special .270/.308/.392/.700.

Then you only score 3.4 runs per game and are one of the worst offenses in baseball and the 1B/OF logjam, that includes Hernan Perez as a starting leftfielder 21% of the time, sure looks like a bust.

Speaking of LF, .227/.275/.347/.622 doesn't help matters any. Right field not much better but at least has a .313 OBP which is one of the better marks on the team.

Milwaukee catcher OPS is 16th best in the majors (.003 from 14th place). The catching position really isn't the downfall, lots of teams have catchers that can't hit.

Shortstop and 3B are the biggest negatives when compared to the league.

Milwaukee catcher OPS is 16th best in the majors (.003 from 14th place). The catching position really isn't the downfall, lots of teams have catchers that can't hit.

Shortstop and 3B are the biggest negatives when compared to the league.

I think the point was that we have a surplus of talent at OF/1B, while we have some holes elsewhere. With Braun and Yelich back, Aguilar (one of our best bats so far this season) will sit everyday along with one of Braun, Yelich, Cain, Thames, and Santana. Meanwhile, guys like Arcia, Villar, Bandy, and Perez will be playing. Arcia brings plus defense, so at least he's helping the team there. The rest of those guys don't bring much to the table.

Regardless, we are where we are. Hopefully some of these guys start hitting and the team starts scoring more runs. Watching double digit strikeouts while hoping Thames hits a home run won't bring long-term success. We should be better offensively than we have been so far, so let's hope for that reversion to the mean to happen quickly.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Santana won’t be “benched” per say (and he shouldn’t be) but he will get some time off probably beginning today if Braun didn’t hurt himself rounding the bases last night. Or I’m sure Perez can step in for a game, I guess.

Santana is a very good player. He'll hit for a fairly high average, take his walks, get his HRs, and play middling d. He'll come around, just like he did last year. Treating him like a bench player would be a mistake. Getting him four or five starts a week will get him going.

Plan was to play Braun at 1B vs LH. I don't see how you ever take Aguilar out of the line-up vs LH.

Santana is off to a slow start, nothing new there. I think it makes sense to have Santana/Braun play roughly 50/50 when Braun is healthy. Plus, Braun could give Yelich/Cain the VERY occasional day off. Santana isn't going to get his bat going again riding the pines, but yea he can sit more often for the time being.

That's how it looks today, this whole thing will be a work in progress all season and that's ok.

Santana and his .545 OPS should be seeing a lot more bench time if the Braun can stay on the field.

Domingo hit .197 last year in April. The rest of the year he went .291/.380/.511

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Santana and his .545 OPS should be seeing a lot more bench time if the Braun can stay on the field.

Domingo hit .197 last year in April. The rest of the year he went .291/.380/.511

Exactly why a straight benching would be such a wrong move. We definitely overreact (because we are fans) around here and that is exactly what the Brewers should not be doing.

I'm not advocating for a straight benching, but perhaps a couple "get your mind right" days may do the guy some good. Or they could "Keon Broxton" him down to Colorado Springs for a couple weeks to get the cobwebs cleared out. In any case, he needs to figure things out at some point here soon, or he's going to lose field time.

A few days off would be a good thing for Santana. As pointed out, had a super slow start last year and really picked it up. I am betting on that again. Domingo will be fine. All I know is all this depth at OF/1B is really paying off so far with injuries/slow starts.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Not going to be much of a logjam if that MRI comes back with bad news today in Thames.

Not going to be much of a logjam if that MRI comes back with bad news today in Thames.

Will probably mean we'll see more of Braun at 1B, and possibly the return of Choi. Neither are ideal, considering how hot Thames has been. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, but Counsell didn't seem overly optimistic last night.

Although we have good depth at 1st, Thames' bat is a real tough loss. Choi is a definite possibility, although his numbers in AAA haven't been really inspiring. They could also promote someone like Phillips and transition Braun more to 1st.

All of this is still hypothetical. Maybe we get good news on Thames. But thumbs are so tricky and as we've seen with Braun, having him try to play through it isn't going to go well. I'd prefer them to just DL him and have him take whatever time he needs to heal up. Even if that means he isn't back until midseason.

Archived