Brewer Fanatic

Blake Swihart

Don't know why they would want Broxton or Aguilar. They already have log jams at both OF and 1B/DH

DUH! Stearns has created a trend. 1B/OF log jams are all the rage now. Everyone wants one.

Lol... until it works :tongue

Swihart has made the opening day roster so there goes that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 1 month later...
Looks like Swihart wants out of Boston as his agent has requested a trade. Depending on price, seems likes a move the Brewers should look into. A young(26), switch hitting catter with upside. I know he hasn't performed to his draft position, but he is under control for a while and could pair up nicely with Pina. I wonder what we would have to give up to get him? Thoughts?

Here is what the Red Sox catchers are hitting this year:

Vazquez = .174/.224/.211/.435

Leon = .170/.220/.234/.454

And despite that, Swihart has seen a grand total of 1 inning behind the plate. Pretty good indication that Swihart is not a major league level catcher. 19 innings in LF, 4 innings at 1B, 1 inning at C. Last thing the Brewers need is a left fielder that can't hit. IMO Swihart hasn't done anything real impressive with the bat since 2014, unless you want to count a real brief appearance in the Dominican League last year.

Swihart for Broxton?

It is too bad Broxton is hitting so crummy or this actually makes a bit of sense for them.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Swihart for Broxton?

It is too bad Broxton is hitting so crummy or this actually makes a bit of sense for them.

Well he was 4 for 4 last night and is on pace for about a 20/50 season. So for the most part, same old Broxton. Still can't bring that K number down, power and speed is good, low average.

Good thing is that the Red Sox aren't really in a position to demand much for Swihart anyway. If they're intrigued in any way by Broxton, I'd pull the trigger.

I am very intrigued by Swihart but I wonder what our personnel department thinks about his abilities as a receiver. If “adequate,” I’d try to work something out. Catchers that can hit really add a lot to a lineup as we saw with Lucroy.

Thismight be why he's not been moved yet. Granted it is early but if they think they're getting back top prospects, they are nuts. This guy will rot at the end of their bench before that happens.

Acquiring Swihart (if you believe he can catch) allows you to keep Nottingham where he belongs, catching every day in AAA. It brings that versatility that is nice to have out of a backup catcher. But we also have another in-house candidate in Bethancourt that might work as a backup too.

Oh, and Travis Shaw was one of those Red Sox prospects at one point. ;)

• 1 year later...

Archived