Brewer Fanatic

Blake Swihart

Seems Like Blake Swihart isn't going to make the Red Sox roster and is out of options. I propose the Brewers trade for him for their back-up catcher. He also can play the outfield so he fits with the Brewers mantra of roster flexibility!

It's probably wishful thinking to think you could get him for Broxton, or Aguilar + a throw-in. Just because Boston doesn't have a spot for him doesn't mean there won't be other teams wanting to trade for him and driving up the price, and that's all it takes. Would be cool to get him though, obviously.

Broxton?

Probably would need to add a reliever in the mix probably Drake or someone similar.

DONE! Broxton and Drake for Swihart!

:)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Don't know why they would want Broxton or Aguilar. They already have log jams at both OF and 1B/DH

DUH! Stearns has created a trend. 1B/OF log jams are all the rage now. Everyone wants one.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Been on this bandwagon for over a year now. This could be a great addition to our roster.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Don't know why they would want Broxton or Aguilar. They already have log jams at both OF and 1B/DH

The Red Sox don't have all that much depth in the OF and no JD Martinez is not an OF. If one of Betts, Bradley, or Benintendi go down the Red Sox are going to be in real trouble in the OF. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Sox might want to platoon Bradley a bit. Broxton would fit in pretty well as the Red Sox 4th or 5th OF giving days off for both Benintendi and Bradley. Broxton would mostly give Bradley days off but I could definitely see a need for the Red Sox at CF and having Broxton could fix that for the Red Sox especially if Bradley looks more like he was in 2017 with the bat.

Which Brewers reliever is going to get hurt? We could trade him to the Red Sox for Swihart, a player who has fallen out of favor with them. Maybe get a slick fielding, quick middle infield prospect thrown in too!

I was a huge fan of Swihart when he was drafted and initially coming up in the minors. But to this point he has been a .270/.330/.383/.713 hitter in the majors and a .234/.295/.320/.615 hitter in AAA. Not really anything impressive on the stat sheet since the 2014 season. A flat out embarrassing .190/.246/.292/.539 in 200+ AAA plate appearances last year. I don't know what went on with his defensive progression? I thought the Red Sox started him off as a catcher and then moved him because the defense wasn't very good. Then he was playing left field and I thought some first and third base. Now the Red Sox have him back at catcher. Safe to assume that after the last two seasons they figure his bat just plays too far down as a LF/1B? Not sure if that's the case or not but it's the impression I get when looking at his overall resume. He turns 26 in a couple of weeks and plenty of late bloomers have really come on and become superstars after that age, but Swihart has done nothing in the last couple of seasons to make me think he'd be one of them.

I was a huge fan of Swihart when he was drafted and initially coming up in the minors. But to this point he has been a .270/.330/.383/.713 hitter in the majors and a .234/.295/.320/.615 hitter in AAA. Not really anything impressive on the stat sheet since the 2014 season. A flat out embarrassing .190/.246/.292/.539 in 200+ AAA plate appearances last year. I don't know what went on with his defensive progression? I thought the Red Sox started him off as a catcher and then moved him because the defense wasn't very good. Then he was playing left field and I thought some first and third base. Now the Red Sox have him back at catcher. Safe to assume that after the last two seasons they figure his bat just plays too far down as a LF/1B? Not sure if that's the case or not but it's the impression I get when looking at his overall resume. He turns 26 in a couple of weeks and plenty of late bloomers have really come on and become superstars after that age, but Swihart has done nothing in the last couple of seasons to make me think he'd be one of them.

Whoa. I admit I wasn't up to date on his recent work. I guess I'll just wait on Realmuto. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the type of thing they're considering, despite all this hype about pitching.

The thing is Broxton is probably more valuable than Swihart, he has been more productive at the MLB level and has an option. Swihart ism't worth much of anything.

The rules of supply and demand might beg to differ.

Nah, there are plenty of light hitting catchers with no options available. Everybody could have had Nicholas for free a couple of days ago.

You're right that he's been awful the last 2 years, but I'm not sure those numbers are a true representation of his talent, because he's battled injuries each of the last 2 years. He's had a terrific spring, with 5 homers. Having said that, he does have durability concerns.

I'm intrigued, now it's about the cost of acquisition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived