Brewer Fanatic

Choi

kfizz

How do the Brewers not keep the Korean Matt Stairs? Every AB has been great. Obviously hitting everything, but also 7 walks to 1 K. Multiple 10+ pitch ABs. I think he can opt out at then end of spring training. If the Brewers don’t put him on the 25, some team will I’d imagine. Is this a mirage or something that will be useful this year?

Oops. Wrong forum. Meant to put it in major leagues, but technically, I guess he’s not on the 40, so kinda proposal?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Considering the team has roughly 20 corner OF and 1B options already (sarcasm), Choi doesn't stand a great chance. But he will go down to Colorado Springs and probably hit .350 with a ton of homers, and provide great depth should the Brewers need a 1B at some point. He could perhaps be flipped at some point like Cooper was too.

Considering the team has roughly 20 corner OF and 1B options already (sarcasm), Choi doesn't stand a great chance. But he will go down to Colorado Springs and probably hit .350 with a ton of homers, and provide great depth should the Brewers need a 1B at some point. He could perhaps be flipped at some point like Cooper was too.

He has mutiple opt outs. He's auditioning and likely headed down to CS until someone shows interest. Then he'd opt out.m

Every year there are at least a dozen 1b only or LF/1b only type guys that have big springs. Most wind up taking AAA jobs, a couple get lucky like Aguilar and fall into the perfect situation. Go look up stats on 1b this spring, only a few guys have been as impressive as Choi to this point...but plenty have well over 1000 ops.

I would love to see Choi slip through to AAA. If he doesn't, Aguilar might when he doesn't make the roster. If neither do, we can target one of the other dozen+ that had big springs and don't make other teams. We project to have Braun/Thames as 1b/OF options. Both have dealt with injuries, and the rest of the roster is fairly stacked. Appears to be a good opportunity for a journeyman at our AAA.

I'll add to this, Adam lind has an incredibly solid MLB track record. He's also not all that old at 34 and coming off 303/362/513...got a minor league deal. Very good chance he opens in AAA.

The type of thing that makes me wonder why people think we can trade aguilar. He's a roster filler that you cut when the rosters full. If thames and braun need rest on the same day give perez a 1b glove and forget it.

Much more interested in seeing what happens with bethancourt.

I'll add to this, Adam lind has an incredibly solid MLB track record. He's also not all that old at 34 and coming off 303/362/513...got a minor league deal. Very good chance he opens in AAA.

The type of thing that makes me wonder why people think we can trade aguilar. He's a roster filler that you cut when the rosters full. If thames and braun need rest on the same day give perez a 1b glove and forget it.

This type of thing makes me wonder why San Diego gave Hosmer $140M.

MLB has a glut of 1B/OF guys that can hit and offer nothing defensively. The Brewers have their own glut. Choi brings nothing to the team that it doesn't already have in spades. Great depth in AAA is we can keep him, otherwise no loss.

Yep, dime a dozen. Matt Clark and Jason Rogers too. And who can forget Chris Carter? Most of them end up in Asia or being career minor leaguers. Sometimes it seems people are angry that you have to keep guys like Perez and Sogard instead of Choi and Aguilar, which I don't get. We'd all love to see Choi, Thames, Aguilar, Santana, and Braun in the lineup for offense, but where are you going to play them?

That said, it would be nice to have him in AAA for Thames insurance, but I'm sure there are other options. Aguilar would be nice for Braun insurance too, but you can't use roster spots for guys like that.

This type of thing makes me wonder why San Diego gave Hosmer $140M.

That too... amen.

If thames and braun need rest on the same day give perez a 1b glove and forget it.

Yep. That's why you carry guys like Perez in the first place. Gives you far more options in double switches and using more relievers. They'll probably need Sogard more than they'll need Aguilar, too. You can't just carry a bunch of DH types in the National League.

If thames and braun need rest on the same day give perez a 1b glove and forget it.

Yep. That's why you carry guys like Perez in the first place. Gives you far more options in double switches and using more relievers. They'll probably need Sogard more than they'll need Aguilar, too. You can't just carry a bunch of DH types in the National League.

Shaw and Vogt also have 1B experience. This roster is constructed perfectly if the Brewers played in the AL. But they don't, so it's not.

Shaw and Vogt also have 1B experience. This roster is constructed perfectly if the Brewers played in the AL. But they don't, so it's not.

Eh, go read my stupidly long post on the mlb forum. :tongue

You're not keeping choi at this point unless we trade thames.

Thames can't run. LIterally. He jogs. If they thought he'd be claimed I think they would be tempted to put him into waivers

Yep. With the emerge of Aguilar, plus Braun and Choi, I'm sure the Brewers would love to dump that contract. It was a 3 year 15 million deal. So probably about 10 million left on it.

You're not keeping choi at this point unless we trade thames.

Thames can't run. LIterally. He jogs. If they thought he'd be claimed I think they would be tempted to put him into waivers

You are basing this off a handful of spring training ABs. I'd venture he's faster than most first basemen. He did have 4 triples last year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived