Brewer Fanatic

Neil Walker to the Yankees (1 yr, $4M guaranteed, $500K incentives)

And That
The Brewers front office seems more interested in building/growing assets than patching holes. Giving Villar a chance to work things out makes sense in that light. (So does not signing name brand SPs who're just about to head over the hill.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw 1 year 5 million. Why in the hank did we not do this?!?

- here it is

Maybe that 5 million is going elsewhere, and we don't know about it just yet?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

We traded for Walker last year to be an upgrade to the exact same guys we're now going to use. We paid him more for half a season then what he's making for a full season with the Yankees.

If we need the money to sign Cobb, then I understand, but if we passed and don't sign the one remaining pitching upgrade, I will be confused. We brought in two outfielders when we were stocked in the OF, and have not addressed our biggest needs which were finding another starting pitcher and an everyday second baseman. This offseason is kind of like buying a 2nd and 3rd home and leaving ourselves without enough money to afford a car to drive to get you there.

I'm excited about the season but it's odd that we're going to have an All-Star caliber OF sitting the bench everyday watching some AAAA guys play.

I have been hyper-critical of the way this roster is constructed since the Cain and Yelich deals were announced, so you aren't going to get any argument from me there. If we don't end up trading from the surplus of OF and 1B candidates to shore up the starting pitching and/or 2B spots, it will be very disappointing. But there's still 2 1/2 weeks of spring training left, so moves can still be made. But time is starting to be of the essence.

I agree. There's still some time left for things to fall into place a bit more, but really there should never be a healthy Cain, Yelich, Braun, or Santana on the bench. Not for a team that has some holes to fill yet. You can rework the AB's all you want but it would be a waste of a resource to do so, imo

For Walker...

Nice value for the Yankees. I'm in agreement with some others of you with giving Villar another chance to take that job. They also have Sogard and Perez still on the roster with Orf seeming capable in an extreme situation.

maybe walker wanted to be playing for the team that most pick to win the WS. I trying to put a number of HR this team will hit this year.

Yes, it should be comical almost. I don't know what the record is or what they are projected for but I'd imagine they have a very good chance it making some history with their lineup. Actually looking forward to seeing what they're capable of.

Having played in NY already he could own a place already, kids in school, stuff like that. Plus throw in the baseball stuff ya'll just mentioned. I know I'd rather have him at 5 than Sogard at 2, but who could have predicted the market going like this. I don't blame anyone.

I can also see a point about not wanting to disrupt chemistry by bringing in outsiders to patch holes. However, guys who actually produced last year are facing less playing time due to prior transactions. Is Stearns concerned about the psyche of a guy who didn’t perform last year?

Totally discounting that Walker may have preferred New York or just didn't want to play in Milwaukee, this makes no sense that he's not back for this deal or more. Like someone posted before, Walker was brought in because the very guys they will be rolling with this year were so bad last year. So we're going to give them another shot this year. $5M is peanuts for a starting MLB veteran. Spending that money wouldn't prevent them from doing anything this year or next.

Good lord. 5 million for a clear improvement at 2B. Even if it took 7-8 to get him to Milwaukee it would have been worth it. This and Lynn are such good deals that it will be depressing to see the team just miss the playoffs due to relying on easily upgrade able players like Villar, Perez, Miley, Guerra, etc this year. Even if they wise up and make a deadline trade, the damage migh already be done in the form of early season losses.

Their starting pitching is still very weak though. I know bullpen is amazing but that's a huge flaw when compared to Houston/Nats/LAD, who all have great offenses as well. Also, I'm in the camp that Judge is a big regression candidate based on his second half and we all know Stanton's injuries. Don't get me wrong, I'd be jacked if I was a fan of theirs with what should be a really fun team to watch. But I think I'd also see the SP as an issue and realize it's not like they should necessarily be the favorites or in a 'GSW Warriors type mode of we clearly have the best team and it's a disappointment if we lose' attitude.

I don't think the weakness at 2b is nearly as critical as the uncertainty in the pitching staff. Sure, it would be nice to have one more fairly consistent, good OBP guy in the lineup, but the offense really does not look to be a problem for the Brewers this year, so not really a big deal to me. Even the pitching I don't think is as dire a situation as is made out to be, as I'm quite confident that the bullpen will be improved over last year, which should make up for a certain amount of possible regression from guys who had career years last year, so I'm not going to hold my breath on picking up Cobb at this point.

I thought I'd care about not getting Walker. He's an upgrade but its very minimal and it's a minor tweak to the roster at this time. Even if he's more consistent.

C and 2b are simply not worth money and effort if there isn't a pitcher coming. Even if cobb comes in later... that's the domino that can swing this.

I don't really mind that we didn't bring back Walker, but I'm mildly annoyed we're paying $3M for Sogard and probably could have literally had Walker for another measly mil.

Hopefully Villar has a great year and it's all a moot point.

Yeah it stinks, but my goodness hindsight is such an ugly human weakness. That's not directed at anyone in particular. Just an accumulation of reactions I've been exposed to already. It's like people expect perfection out of their sports GMs. Look at the smart guy who back in November said we should wait out this market and sign Walker for peanuts on a 1 year, prove it deal. Oh that's right, nobody said that. When the Brewers signed Sogard, there's no way the Brewers or Walker thought he'd be signing for 4.5 million.

Yeah it stinks, but my goodness hindsight is such an ugly human weakness. That's not directed at anyone in particular. Just an accumulation of reactions I've been exposed to already. It's like people expect perfection out of their sports GMs. Look at the smart guy who back in November said we should wait out this market and sign Walker for peanuts on a 1 year, prove it deal. Oh that's right, nobody said that. When the Brewers signed Sogard, there's no way the Brewers or Walker thought he'd be signing for 4.5 million.

Yeah no one thought that in November, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t have done it in March.

Yeah no one thought that in November, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t have done it in March.

True, but the money is already tied up in Sogard. And my guess is they have their money budgeted towards other needs by now.

I don't really mind that we didn't bring back Walker, but I'm mildly annoyed we're paying $3M for Sogard and probably could have literally had Walker for another measly mil.

This is where my issue with it is too. Counsell had to have his mini-me and most likely it won’t be pretty.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is a good point... walker villar pina bandy is the same price.

Yeah, my confusion is Sogard vs. Walker. They signed Sogard super early in the offseason to a guaranteed contract. That made me scratch my head. My guess is that they engaged Walker and found his demands way too high in years/money, so they signed Sogard. Once spring training got under way, they committed to Villar, Sogard, Perez. But, man, I'd much rather have Walker at his 1 year price vs. Sogard. Oh well, no one saw Walker's value dropping that low.

Totally discounting that Walker may have preferred New York or just didn't want to play in Milwaukee, this makes no sense that he's not back for this deal or more. Like someone posted before, Walker was brought in because the very guys they will be rolling with this year were so bad last year. So we're going to give them another shot this year. $5M is peanuts for a starting MLB veteran. Spending that money wouldn't prevent them from doing anything this year or next.

I don't buy the Walker would rather play in New York angle, so he took less money.

About 7-10 days ago i read an article somewhere talking about the camp where free agents were at to get in baseball shape and Walker was a big focus of it. He sounded like a guy resigned to the fact that his dream of a big multi-year deal was gone and he just wanted a job somewhere.

After last season he had nothing but good things to say about his time in Milwaukee and that he'd love to be back.

My guess is Stearns simply is banking on Villar bouncing back this year, mixed in with he boxed himself in roster crunch wise by resigning Sogard.

Can't have four guys on the roster who play second base, (Villar/Sogard/Perez/Walker), playing time at 1st base for Walker like last year is out the window, and Perez likely won't see nearly as much time in the outfield. Only so much room on a 25 man roster with an 8 man bullpen.

I don't buy the Walker would rather play in New York angle, so he took less money.

About 7-10 days ago i read an article somewhere talking about the camp where free agents were at to get in baseball shape and Walker was a big focus of it. He sounded like a guy resigned to the fact that his dream of a big multi-year deal was gone and he just wanted a job somewhere.

After last season he had nothing but good things to say about his time in Milwaukee and that he'd love to be back.

My guess is Stearns simply is banking on Villar bouncing back this year, mixed in with he boxed himself in roster crunch wise by resigning Sogard.

Can't have four guys on the roster who play second base, (Villar/Sogard/Perez/Walker), playing time at 1st base for Walker like last year is out the window, and Perez likely won't see nearly as much time in the outfield. Only so much room on a 25 man roster with an 8 man bullpen.

Keeping what they have instead of Walker because it would make a 25 man roster decision hard (even though they had no issues doing it at 1B/OF) would be like not buying a new couch because you can’t find a spot from your old college futon

In my opinion Stearns is leaving to many potential holes. 2B could be a giant hole and the rotation could be a black hole real easily. Catcher is a big concern to me too.

For anyone who says “July 31st” well the season is reaching the last third by then and you had 2/3 of suck which costs a lot of wins. That could eat your postseason hopes up. We are not a powerhouse. We need every win we can scrape up. We will be retooling for a push for a playoff spot. Not positioning for a better postseason team.

We shall see how to prophet Stearns did soon enough.

Archived