Brewer Fanatic

Neil Walker to the Yankees (1 yr, $4M guaranteed, $500K incentives)

And That

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just my opinion but I think our line up would have looked pretty sweet with Walker somewhere in the middle. Oh well.

I think players of similar value will be available cheap should the team's internal options fall flat. Maybe they feel Villar has his act together? Perhaps they really like Perez playing more 2B this year? I imagine Sogard is the primary backup at 2B, SS and 3B.

Unless they throw a cheap contract at someone like Brandon Phillips, this all but assures Villar makes the team.

At the beginning of the offseason, I was all for a Walker reconnection. Now, I am happy we are moving forward with Villar. Hopefully, this gives him the boost needed to be more like 2016 Villar. A force to be reckoned with.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm sure the Brewers if they really wanted him may have been able to pony up a little bit more to win the bid, but it's entirely possible that Walker preferred NY and their higher title odds alongside the fact that he may prefer the city more.

So "why didn't we do 1/$5" may not be really that accurate.

Man...we were set up to be disappointed with the media speculating the Brewers would get one of the Big 4 pitchers and so far going 0-3, but these relatively affordable deals for Walker and Lucroy really hurt.

Both went to teams where they are clear upgrades with no question about playing time. Both would be questionable upgrades with the Brewers, and probably have to share time.

Man...we were set up to be disappointed with the media speculating the Brewers would get one of the Big 4 pitchers and so far going 0-3, but these relatively affordable deals for Walker and Lucroy really hurt.

We have no idea how affordable they'd be for the Brewers. It's understandable that Walker may prefer playing in NY, that Lucroy would not want to come back to MKE, that Luc would also see less competition in Oakland and therefore all of those things may make the cost a lot higher if the Brewers truly wanted these players.

I'm sure the Brewers if they really wanted him may have been able to pony up a little bit more to win the bid, but it's entirely possible that Walker preferred NY and their higher title odds alongside the fact that he may prefer the city more.

So "why didn't we do 1/$5" may not be really that accurate.

That's fair, I would have even been ok offering 1/8 to beat it. But your point is fair, he may prefer the yankees...batting in that crazy lineup...title odds...etc.

Someone else might have offered more, and then players will still complain how their offers aren't good enough and certain teams aren't trying to contend when they commonly take less to play on good teams and make it that much more difficult for bad teams to get good players. Oh the hypocrisy...

We have no idea how affordable they'd be for the Brewers. It's understandable that Walker may prefer playing in NY, that Lucroy would not want to come back to MKE, that Luc would also see less competition in Oakland and therefore all of those things may make the cost a lot higher if the Brewers truly wanted these players.

Sure...and that is valid. My point is not about the playing time or where people prefer to play. Rather my point is about our disappointment levels as fans given the Brewers could have added Lucroy and Walker to the lineup for $11 million total and still haven't upgraded the rotation. That's all.

I understand not going after Walker... Cuz I definitely want to see if Villar can regain that power/speed combo.

BUT if we miss out on Cobb... I'm heading to Milwaukee with pitchforks.

Sure...and that is valid. My point is not about the playing time or where people prefer to play. Rather my point is about our disappointment levels as fans given the Brewers could have added Lucroy and Walker to the lineup for $11 million total and still haven't upgraded the rotation. That's all.

I don't think you understood what I meant.

It's very possible that playing time and where they want to play may mean that it would cost closer to $15-$20 million or extra years of commitment to get both of those guys in the lineup.

Also, what are the ramifications of cutting someone that has already agreed to arbitration or Sogard? You're likely lighting $2-3 more million on fire if you cut Sogard or Walker or Perez to add Walker. If it's Perez or Villar I'm assuming he just gets a prorated chunk of his arbitration agreement?

Both went to teams where they are clear upgrades with no question about playing time. Both would be questionable upgrades with the Brewers, and probably have to share time.

We traded for Walker last year to be an upgrade to the exact same guys we're now going to use. We paid him more for half a season then what he's making for a full season with the Yankees.

If we need the money to sign Cobb, then I understand, but if we passed and don't sign the one remaining pitching upgrade, I will be confused. We brought in two outfielders when we were stocked in the OF, and have not addressed our biggest needs which were finding another starting pitcher and an everyday second baseman. This offseason is kind of like buying a 2nd and 3rd home and leaving ourselves without enough money to afford a car to drive to get you there.

I'm excited about the season but it's odd that we're going to have an All-Star caliber OF sitting the bench everyday watching some AAAA guys play.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't think you understood what I meant.

It's very possible that playing time and where they want to play may mean that it would cost closer to $15-$20 million or extra years of commitment to get both of those guys in the lineup.

Also, what are the ramifications of cutting someone that has already agreed to arbitration or Sogard? You're likely lighting $2-3 more million on fire if you cut Sogard or Walker or Perez to add Walker. If it's Perez or Villar I'm assuming he just gets a prorated chunk of his arbitration agreement?

I totally understood your point. I am merely speaking to those moves in a vacuum with everything else being equal.

We traded for Walker last year to be an upgrade to the exact same guys we're now going to use. We paid him more for half a season then what he's making for a full season with the Yankees.

If we need the money to sign Cobb, then I understand, but if we passed and don't sign the one remaining pitching upgrade, I will be confused. We brought in two outfielders when we were stocked in the OF, and have not addressed our biggest needs which were finding another starting pitcher and an everyday second baseman. This offseason is kind of like buying a 2nd and 3rd home and leaving ourselves without enough money to afford a car to drive to get you there.

I'm excited about the season but it's odd that we're going to have an All-Star caliber OF sitting the bench everyday watching some AAAA guys play.

This. You perfectly summed up my feelings on the 2018 Brewers roster construction.

Roll with Villar/Sogard/Perez. If they need a Walker type at the AS break they can go out and get one without giving up much.

Except a playoff appearance if second base is the black hole it was last year before we brought in Walker.

I understand liking a player for his upside, but we've given Villar a lot of "leash," while we traded away Brinson, blocked Phillips, and won't let Hader into the rotation because we didn't want to roll with their growing pains in a potential playoff year.

I'm just having a hard time putting together the pieces in the Brewer puzzle this offseason. Stearns has done a wonderful job in his short tenure, so I'm sure he's got his reasons, but signing Walker and Lynn to one-year deals would have seemed to have made a lot of sense in conjunction with what we've done.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I have been hyper-critical of the way this roster is constructed since the Cain and Yelich deals were announced, so you aren't going to get any argument from me there. If we don't end up trading from the surplus of OF and 1B candidates to shore up the starting pitching and/or 2B spots, it will be very disappointing. But there's still 2 1/2 weeks of spring training left, so moves can still be made. But time is starting to be of the essence.

If Villar is anything close to 16, I definitely love this lineup...

Cain - CF

Yelich - LF

Braun - 1B

Shaw - 3B

Santana - RF

Villar - 2B

Pina - C

Arcia - SS

Whether he is or not to open the season, I like the idea of batting Villar(and Sogard) 9th. Cain/Yelich can be good rbi guys and it would be good having them up with a pitcher distracted by Villar's speed. If Villar ends up more like 2016 form to the point he should be higher...well then we have a fantastic problem of how to work 3 very good players into the top of the order.

It's only disappointing if they don't win games. If this poorly constructed team goes out and doesn't compete because of a hole at 2B, or the four OF's not getting enough time or a lack of starting pitching, then your complaints will be valid. I don't think Stearns see it that way at all right now though. I'm becoming more on Stearns side by the day. This roster is exciting, while there are question marks, this group could surprise once again.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Roll with Villar/Sogard/Perez. If they need a Walker type at the AS break they can go out and get one without giving up much.

Except a playoff appearance if second base is the black hole it was last year before we brought in Walker.

I understand liking a player for his upside, but we've given Villar a lot of "leash," while we traded away Brinson, blocked Phillips, and won't let Hader into the rotation because we didn't want to roll with their growing pains in a potential playoff year.

I'm just having a hard time putting together the pieces in the Brewer puzzle this offseason. Stearns has done a wonderful job in his short tenure, so I'm sure he's got his reasons, but signing Walker and Lynn to one-year deals would have seemed to have made a lot of sense in conjunction with what we've done.

This all makes a lot of sense. Each decision on its own had some logic to it, but putting them all together doesn't make much sense. I feel like the overall plan was either poorly conceived or poorly executed. You can make moves specifically for value all you want(which appears to be what happened), but those moves need to tie together to an end game plan...otherwise value(phillips/walker) are wasted in the minors or not acquired while other spots(SP) are not addressed.

Archived