Brewer Fanatic

Arrieta to Phillies - 3 year deal, $75 million

homer
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another point about having Mid season flexibility is that you have to be able to get into that spot to make a trade.

You think that our current roster doesn't even put us in ballpark of contention?

If Suter has really taken a step forward, and if Miley is fixed, and Nelson comes back at 100%... with Woodruff at AAA as the first call-up, yeah, I think this Crew is a contender. No Garza/Wily Peralta/Blazek starts.

That is a lot of big ifs for me at this time sorry but that also includes a big if Chase can put up the same numbers like last year.

Just seems like we totally half-assed this offseason with what these pitchers are going for. Could’ve added 2 of Lynn, Cobba and Arrieta.

Compare what Lynn and Arrietta do this year and I bet it's not 37 million better than our 4/5. I don't think the back end of our rotation will be that bad.

That's 1/3 of our payroll and your really only getting the difference between them and our 4/5

Arrieta isn’t a 4/5. He’s projected to be 1+ win better than any starting pitcher on our roster.

Arrieta - Nola... and no one else. Am I missing someone?

Jered Eickhoff is now the Phillies #3 starter and is arguably a better pitcher than every member of the Brewers 2018 starting 5 outside of Chase Anderson.

VERY concerned for the Brewers starting rotation at this point and I don't think we are the front runners for Cobb either.

Just seems like we totally half-assed this offseason with what these pitchers are going for. Could’ve added 2 of Lynn, Cobba and Arrieta.

To take the payroll to $125-130m? With significant arbitration raises (Shaw, Nelson, Davies, Knebel, Santana) as well as some upcoming salary increases like Yelich. $125m is probably doable in and of itself, but leaves the Brewers walking a rightrope, with no flexibility whatosever, and likely being forced to non-tender/trade players they'd really like to keep.

If Cobb can be had for Lynn-like AAV, something like $12m-15m then that's probably doable assuming Attanasio is willing to go to $120m+, but I'm honestly still not sure Stearns would go for that.

Arrieta - Nola... and no one else. Am I missing someone?

Jered Eickhoff is now the Phillies #3 starter and is arguably a better pitcher than every member of the Brewers 2018 starting 5 outside of Chase Anderson.

VERY concerned for the Brewers starting rotation at this point and I don't think we are the front runners for Cobb either.

Had a rough year a season ago. I guess we will find out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To take the payroll to $125-130m? With significant arbitration raises (Shaw, Nelson, Davies, Knebel, Santana) as well as some upcoming salary increases like Yelich. $125m is probably doable in and of itself, but leaves the Brewers walking a rightrope, with no flexibility whatosever, and likely being forced to non-tender/trade players they'd really like to keep.

If Cobb can be had for Lynn-like AAV, something like $12m-15m then that's probably doable assuming Attanasio is willing to go to $120m+, but I'm honestly still not sure Stearns would go for that.

Fair enough. I hate to keep repeating myself and I’ll stop. But again, if this is the concern then signing Cain was even dumber than I originally thought. Easily could’ve fit Arrieta and Cobb in without signing him.

I’ll take Cain in the top half of our lineup and finding arms elsewhere.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There's no way we can go into this season with

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Two of Woodruff/Guerra/Miley/Gallardo/Suter

And except to be contending... This is simply stupid and makings of a diaster.

Add Cobb and this really lengthens our rotation.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Better get ready for it, because it's coming.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

You may want to take a breath and realize there is a very good chance that what we have right now will be the mix come opening day. It won’t be the end of the world either.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

You may want to take a breath and realize there is a very good chance that what we have right now will be the mix come opening day. It won’t be the end of the world either.

Sorry, getting frustrated here...

Compare what Lynn and Arrietta do this year and I bet it's not 37 million better than our 4/5. I don't think the back end of our rotation will be that bad.

That's 1/3 of our payroll and your really only getting the difference between them and our 4/5

Arrieta isn’t a 4/5. He’s projected to be 1+ win better than any starting pitcher on our roster.

If we had signed Lynn and Arrietta like you suggested it would have bumped our 4/5 out of the rotation. Hence their value would be the difference between them and our current 4/5.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Sorry, getting frustrated here...

Oh we know. We know... :laughing

I completely get that you want to see an improvement in the rotation but it just might not happen right now. And then again, Cobb might sign in 20 minutes.

Oh we know. We know... :laughing

I completely get that you want to see an improvement in the rotation but it just might not happen right now. And then again, Cobb might sign in 20 minutes.

Haha, yep!

We shall see.

I feel like a lot of people are under-valuing our current rotation. They aren't aces but Arrietta isn't an ace anymore either. With the offense and defense we have our pitchers can be very successful. I'm glad we don't have 25 mil per year tied up in 1 player... That's 1/4 of our entire payroll.

I’ll take Cain in the top half of our lineup and finding arms elsewhere.

Yep. Easy decision for me. So many more red flags with all the free agent pitchers compared to Cain.

No red flags with Cain's age and length of contract?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Im ok not giving up a 4th for Lynn on a 1 year deal although i think its a good price aav.

I'm quite ok passing 25 mil per on Arrieta even if 3 years lessens the risk a great deal. I simply dont think he's going to be worth 25 mil so good luck phillies. I see the aav as foolish as hosmers.

I didn't want these 2 in this manner. The question now is cobb and his price. If its 3 years and south of 16 aav I'll go through the roof with my level or irritation. If he signs a prove it deal, I dont want it. I want the upside of his split change coming back and having a 3.2 era pitcher locked in for 3 years at a bargain price.

Neither lynn nor arrieta are the perfect opportunity. Cobbs still in play for that. I'll wait fir that deal.

I doubt Arrietta will be worth $25MM This year, much less 3 years from now. We'll see. I agree Cobb still makes sense if the years/ dollars are right. He's the only one out of the 3 that made sense to me all along.

Next years FA class likely to be very deep. Something tells me Stearns probably knows this too.

Archived