Brewer Fanatic

Arrieta to Phillies - 3 year deal, $75 million

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Per multiple people on twitter (Heyman, Nightengale etc.)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it is only three years then I think this is the steal of the off-season

Wouldn't that depend on what they are paying him? Would you say that if it were 28-30 million per season?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Arrieta - Nola... and no one else. Am I missing someone?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

totally okay with him not coming to milwaukee and leaving the NL Central

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Adding 25 to this years payroll would have limited us at the deadline when we will know what holes we have to fill. I'm glad we did not do this, would much rather have payroll flexibility later.

Agreed. This might be one of the biggest things we overlook. We need flexibility around deadline time.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Another point about having Mid season flexibility is that you have to be able to get into that spot to make a trade.

You think that our current roster doesn't even put us in ballpark of contention?

If Suter has really taken a step forward, and if Miley is fixed, and Nelson comes back at 100%... with Woodruff at AAA as the first call-up, yeah, I think this Crew is a contender. No Garza/Wily Peralta/Blazek starts.

The race for the NL Wildcard just got a little tougher...

While I don't see Philly as a main WC contender in 2018, the signing of Jake does improve that team & helps to fill a big need (upper rotation arm to go with Nola). Additionally I see Philly being a big FA player during the next off-season & would not be surprised if they end up with 1 of the big names: Machado/ Harper/ Donaldson.

Philly will be in the thick of the race for a playoff spot in 2019 & 2020.

Another point about having Mid season flexibility is that you have to be able to get into that spot to make a trade.

You think that our current roster doesn't even put us in ballpark of contention?

Could easily see us 5+ back of WC at deadline and it being “don’t want to go all in” on a guy like Archer or Stroman or whatever and wait for the offseason.

Just seems like we totally half-assed this offseason with what these pitchers are going for. Could’ve added 2 of Lynn, Cobba and Arrieta.

With Lynn and Arrietta off the market, Cobb should follow soon. His list of suitors growing smaller though. Has anyone seen if they are expecting to be ready for the start of the season? Would imagine they have been on their own throwing programs, but would be cutting it close in theory.

Just seems like we totally half-assed this offseason with what these pitchers are going for. Could’ve added 2 of Lynn, Cobba and Arrieta.

Compare what Lynn and Arrietta do this year and I bet it's not 37 million better than our 4/5. I don't think the back end of our rotation will be that bad.

That's 1/3 of our payroll and your really only getting the difference between them and our 4/5

Archived