Brewer Fanatic

Lynn to Twins 1 yr 12Million

NOMAAM

Hard to ever be calling a 1-2 year bargain deal a 'disaster' even if you're not that high on Lynn or Cobb. Unless you're just really high on some combination of Woodruff, Miley, Guerra and Suter.

$12m a year for a 4.5-5 ERA pitcher is a disaster when you can get someone like Woodruff, Miley, Guerra, and Suter for about a tenth of that. Lynn at Miller Park would be bad and Cobb at Miller Park would be even worse. People hated Garza and Lohse and that is basically what you will be getting with Cobb and Lynn it is just that most see oooh new shiny thing and think that it will be different this time.

Both Lynn and Cobb are bad pitchers for Miller Park and both would put up around a 4.5-5 ERA and be paid about $12m a season. Not a good idea and yes that is a disaster.

Hard to ever be calling a 1-2 year bargain deal a 'disaster' even if you're not that high on Lynn or Cobb. Unless you're just really high on some combination of Woodruff, Miley, Guerra and Suter.

$12m a year for a 4.5-5 ERA pitcher is a disaster when you can get someone like Woodruff, Miley, Guerra, and Suter for about a tenth of that. Lynn at Miller Park would be bad and Cobb at Miller Park would be even worse. People hated Garza and Lohse and that is basically what you will be getting with Cobb and Lynn it is just that most see oooh new shiny thing and think that it will be different this time.

Both Lynn and Cobb are bad pitchers for Miller Park and both would put up around a 4.5-5 ERA and be paid about $12m a season. Not a good idea and yes that is a disaster.

What are you, Mark A's financial advisor (lol)? Long term bad contracts suck for fans cuz it hamstrings management from improving the roster in future years. Short term mediocre deals can only help out depth and trading options. I guess it is nice to have financial flexibility at the trading deadline too, but it's also nice to have enough depth to be able to trade away an arm or two.

Can someone post Lance Lynn’s entire stat line from 2018, not just ERA? My internet is like half a year behind.

Ur internet isnt behind, doesnt have a stat line for 18 yet.

Can someone post Lance Lynn’s entire stat line from 2018, not just ERA? My internet is like half a year behind.

Ur internet isnt behind, doesnt have a stat line for 18 yet.

utzTCyo.png

Haha, Im an idiot.

With the Lynn signing news, I don't see any way that Alex Cobb should receive more than 3 years/$36-$40 Million at this point.

MLBTRADERUMORS Free Agent rankings initially had Lynn ranked 9th and predicted 4/56 and Cobb ranked 11th and predicted 4/48 for him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

It would not surprise me if Cobb doesn't even have more than an actual 2-year offer to this point.

Cards get a pick after round 1 before the Competitive A group begins.

No, their comp pick will be after comp round B, somewhere around #80. They are not a revenue-sharing recipient so there's no way they could get a comp round A pick. And even if they were a revenue recipient, the contract would have to be $50m or more. The Royals got a comp round A pick for Hosmer, for example.

Furthermore, it's worth reminding everyone that the pick a team forfeits is not the one that goes to the previous team. They are completely independent of each other.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-qualifying-offer-rules-explained/c-259650658

Is Lynn going to be on the opening day roster for the Twins? Maybe with very low pitch count limits?

Why?

Because he missed half of ST I would assume.

Correct, I mean why do pitchers normally show up in mid February if it doesn't even matter

Sounded like he had better offers but wanted to be a Twin. Maybe we were one of them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Can't believe the cost and low risk here. I didn't really want Lynn but if 1/13 is all it took I probably would have just done that instead of a 3 or 4 year deal for Cobb or doing nothing.

Agree. A one-year deal would be perfect for the Brewers. We have a lot in the pipeline, but need someone better than the Gallardo group to bridge the gap until Nelson is healthy and the prospects are MLB ready. With all of the arby bumps over the next few years, we could have some financial concerns of signing a multi-year deal, but a one-year deal eliminates this.

Cobb would obviously prefer a high-value, multi-year deal, but if believes in himself and thinks he can get his best pitch back and dominate this year, in the current market he could benefit from a one-year deal. 1/$12M followed up by a big deal could be better than something like 3/$26. It would be risky, but with everything going on this year it could be possible, and I'd love to see the Brewers sign that deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Sounded like he had better offers but wanted to be a Twin. Maybe we were one of them.

Curious if we went to $14.5M for one year if we would be the team.

For no long-term strings attached, I would gladly give up that price and a 4th round pick.

I don't know why people think you should only give up a draft choice if you are signing a guy to a multiyear deal. I would rather have a short term deal for 30+ year old pitchers, and would pay more to get that, and that "more" is the draft pick. And since we already gave up one pick, you might as well piggyback as the next pick will be a round lower.

Gives Nelson, Burnes and Ortiz a year to be ready for 2019.

If Lynn is awesome, I assume you can QO him, right? Get better pic back or him for another year.

I will be cheesed off if they don't get anyone and then Lynn has a decent year and the Brewers ended up one starter short of being in the playoffs. If Lynn sucks for some reason, you won't feel compelled to keep him on the roster because you have more year(s) sunk into him. Nice insurance policy.

If Lynn is awesome, I assume you can QO him, right? Get better pic back or him for another year.

No. A player can now only get one QO in their life.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

No. A player can now only get one QO in their life.

Thanks. I didn't assume it would matter. Probably 10% chance that Lynn looks so good they would want to QO and probably about a 15% that he really sucks. He seems to be pretty steady.

Archived