Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to A's - 1 year deal

I'll repost it here. Enjoy losing while we're winning Luc.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I still appreciated Lucroy and his time in Milwaukee, I hope he succeeds. Can't blame a player for not wanting to go through a rebuild. Not much different than what the Marlins and Pirates are going through, except those franchises seem more interested in profit than building a winning club...which is not how Mark A operates.

Enjoy being a clear starting catcher with the A's instead of being a backup here Luc.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Enjoy being a clear starting catcher with the A's instead of being a backup here Luc.

To each their own. Good for him for taking the best deal and wanting to play everyday, versus doing like some guys and taking a team friendly deal with a good team to try and be part of a WS team.

To each their own. Good for him for taking the best deal and wanting to play everyday, versus doing like some guys and taking a team friendly deal with a good team to try and be part of a WS team.

Exactly. These player talk out of both sides of their mouths. The A’s ain’t winning a damn thing. Thought he wanted a ring? Comical. Enjoy the L’s.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A's are a big sleeper team imo. Offense should be potent. Not saying playoffs or WS necessarily, but I'd be comfortable betting their team over on wins and wouldn't shock me if they end up 2nd in that division or at least above .500

A's are a big sleeper team imo. Offense should be potent. Not saying playoffs or WS necessarily, but I'd be comfortable betting their team over on wins and wouldn't shock me if they end up 2nd in that division or at least above .500

Agreed... All they need is another SP to go with Manaea and Graveman... Bullpen is very deep and Offense is very good now.

Exactly. These player talk out of both sides of their mouths. The A’s ain’t winning a damn thing. Thought he wanted a ring? Comical. Enjoy the L’s.

It's a 1 year deal. You think the Brewers are going to the WS?

Also:

It's a 1 year deal. He couldn't be traded to a contender at the deadline if he's doing well? Sure would be a good thing for him if he were getting lots and lots of playing time to make that case AND have another chance at FA next year.

But I guess it's all what "have you done for me" with some fans I guess. I loathe that attitude. A lot.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

But I guess it's all what "have you done for me" with some fans I guess. I loathe that attitude. A lot.

:laughing :rolleyes

Give me a break.

:laughing :rolleyes

Give me a break.

You hit it on the head, my feelings exactly.

What is he supposed to do? Way different market for his services than there was in 2016.

I doubt the A's were his top choice but he can only take what is offered.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What is he supposed to do? Way different market for his services than there was in 2016.

I doubt the A's were his top choice but he can only take what is offered.

Exactly. His market was light. Who knows if anyone else was even interested? Stearns already said the Brewers weren't, and they were where he arguably made the most sense.

I have to believe that his comments about the Brewers not contending really rubbed teammates and people in the front office the wrong way. He made too much sense to not be back in Milwaukee...i mean short of the living legend Wade Miley taking his #.

Or maybe we just believe in Manny Pina.

To each their own but he rubbed me the wrong way and he continues to. He never had to say what he did BEFORE our season was ever played. Was hoping he made a decision to actually go get a ring so I could at least believe him at his word but he ditched Cleveland and he’s now signed with a team that will fight to be .500.

He said the wrong thing, no doubt. He probably realizes it and may even regret it. He’s a tad bit eccentric. He also had the suitcase story.

But, I’m not going to let that outweigh the overwhelming good he did here as a two-way catcher.

Now, behind the scenes, did he burn bridges with the organization? I can’t answer it but I wouldn’t rule it out. He didn’t take the Cleveland deal and we don’t know the back story if he indicated he’d be interested and then backed out. There may be more to the story that we don’t know.

As a player, I appreciated him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm still ticked he turned down the Cleveland trade. Mejia could have been ours!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Will be interesting to see how Lucroy's season unfolds.

From 2010-16 he posted a 43.6% ground ball rate, placing him in the bottom 40% of qualified batters. In 2016 alone it was 37.2%, placing him in the bottom 20% of qualified batters.

In 2017, when seemingly everyone was trying to put more balls in the air, his ground ball rate skyrocketed to 53.5% placing him in the TOP 6% of all batters with at least 450 PAs. I can't imagine that was a conscious decision.

Personally, I think the Luc comments re: Milwaukee get a bit blown out of proportion by many, and I think he gets a lot of undeserved ill feelings from some fans. His comments might not have sounded very "good" to some but you have to take it within the context of the situation that was at hand. It was clear he was going to be a big trade piece for our rebuilding team. He knew which way the wind was blowing. He openly wanted to be traded to a team with a legit shot at contending. There's nothing damning about that. He always was a guy that was pretty candid in his interviews, etc. I always just saw him as a guy saying how he felt, and what he felt was not much different than what just about anybody in his situation at the time probably would have felt. I also can't fault him for blocking the trade. Just a guy trying to do what he thought was best in my opinion. No need to vilify the guy, he was a good Brewer. Part of me hoped he'd be back.

Archived