Brewer Fanatic

2018 Wisconsin Badgers football

LouisEly
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’d say it’s disappointing but it’s not really a shock. This is game three and they haven’t really looked very good at all. They’ll finish with 3-4 losses.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It essentially eliminates them from the playoff but they will still likely find their way to the B10 title game.

Not at all, this loss makes them have to win out. That's it. Not eliminated at all. Now, of course after how blah they've looked i don't expect them to do it or anything but this just made them have to win every game from here. Before, they could've afforded to lose one of the tough road games but not anymore.

This looks like a collision course of Bama vs OSU at this point. Bold prediction for the year: no one will play Bama within single digits all year. Them having a legit passing QB makes them almost unbeatable IMO.

I thought preseason that the hype of the offense and O Line was way overboard and so far that's true. hope they get their act together. The 2010-11 type offenses were beyond these guys imo. My idiot friends and I used to bet 4.5 over/under on plays for a score with that 2011 team. They were ridiculous.

For as much as we lament about the unfair advantage for large markets in baseball, college sports are no better. Teams with top programs like Alabama and Ohio State get their pick of the 4 and 5 star recruits every year, while programs like ours pick up the scraps. Same in basketball with teams like Duke and Kentucky.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Outplayed on both sides of the ball. BYU earned that. UW was not ready to play.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Alex Hornibrook is bad. That’s all I needed to say for now.

He is essentially the same QB he was as a freshman which is troubling. He is still highly inaccurate and throws way too many INT's. He had one yesterday and should have had at least one more. There should be greater progression in his game by now but there isn't. At this point I would roll the dice with Coan.

For as much as we lament about the unfair advantage for large markets in baseball, college sports are no better. Teams with top programs like Alabama and Ohio State get their pick of the 4 and 5 star recruits every year, while programs like ours pick up the scraps. Same in basketball with teams like Duke and Kentucky.

Unlike MLB and, to a lesser extent, the NBA, I don’t see how Alabama and Ohio State have an unfair advantage. An advantage? Sure. But unfair? If you want to see instant balance in college football, let teams pay up to 5 players $100,000 / year. The top recruits will scatter across the country. Will never happen though.

Alex Hornibrook is bad. That’s all I needed to say for now.

He is essentially the same QB he was as a freshman which is troubling. He is still highly inaccurate and throws way too many INT's. He had one yesterday and should have had at least one more. There should be greater progression in his game by now but there isn't. At this point I would roll the dice with Coan.

Yep bad. The intentional grounding/near pick 6 has to be up there for most embarrassing qb play. Somehow its like he thinks he can sit back in the pocket like Rodgers only he throws and its a duck falling woefully incomplete.

Its been a long while but the dropoff after Taylor in talent for RB is alarming. Like if they were the #1 RB i dont think 1k yards is happening

One thing that has become clear this season is that they have no pass rush. Through four games they have only three sacks, which ranks tied for 121st in the country. Van Ginkel got hurt early vs BYU, but that's just one guy. They didn't sack Iowa once.

I haven't seen much from Leonhard as far as designed blitz schemes. One thing they used to do that I haven't seen is load one side of the line with four rushers. Play calling on both sides of the line has been fairly conservative.

Even if they win the Big Ten West, I can't see them running with Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State. They won't be able to contain those offenses.

One thing that has become clear this season is that they have no pass rush. Through four games they have only three sacks, which ranks tied for 121st in the country. Van Ginkel got hurt early vs BYU, but that's just one guy. They didn't sack Iowa once.

I haven't seen much from Leonhard as far as designed blitz schemes. One thing they used to do that I haven't seen is load one side of the line with four rushers. Play calling on both sides of the line has been fairly conservative.

Even if they win the Big Ten West, I can't see them running with Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State. They won't be able to contain those offenses.

This team is booooooooring, as evidenced by the lack of posts the past week.

I didnt get to see the Iowa game, but did they play a lot of zone? I think Leonard may be trying to protect his corners a bit, and if he is that limits what he can do with regard to rushing the passer. Maybe after the bye we will see a more aggressive approach.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think people were under the impression that we'd always have 1st and 2nd round OLBs and that moving an OG to DE right before the season would be fine. Badgers can't lose a guy like Rand and just expect the same productivity from his replacement. Ohio State can do that. I'm more disappointed in the offensive line. They should be crushing everyone in sight.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am disappointed in the use of Taylor. We don't throw him the football and he really only plays on 1st and 2nd down. I mean, he is supposed to be one of the best players in the nation and we aren't using him much. Makes no sense to me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I didnt get to see the Iowa game, but did they play a lot of zone? I think Leonard may be trying to protect his corners a bit, and if he is that limits what he can do with regard to rushing the passer. Maybe after the bye we will see a more aggressive approach.

Good question. I think that Hicks is playing zone all of the time. He is frequently beat and running down people. He is only a freshman, though...

Community Moderator

They did try and run a screen to Taylor but he got tripped at the line and Hornibrook ended up with an intentional grounding penalty.

The Iowa game was very impressive overall. It was the first game I watched this year but they looked like a poised, well-disciplined team. Agreed that they played 'boring'...some of that could be the opponent though...out-grinding Iowa is the way to beat them. The blitz seemed to work when it was used, I'm surprised they didn't do it more.

Bad things--the secondary is terrible and will get lit up by the better teams in the east. The only way to compete in those games will be to win with time of possession and running the ball.

Archived