Brewer Fanatic

2018 Wisconsin Badgers football

LouisEly

If he rolls with Hornibrook he should fired with a capital F. Graham Mertz or even Coan cannot possibly fare any worse over the course of a season. Hornibrook has ruined enough seasons in Madison...move on.

How many seasons can you ruin when you are 26-6 as a starter? I get it, he is athletically limited, can’t throw a screen pass and is poor at passes to the boundary. But by all accounts, he is a tireless worker and prior to last season he was ridiculously effective on obvious passing downs and in the red zone. Admittedly, some of his regression is teams have figured out how to better defend against him, but Wisconsin is more than a QB away from getting to the next level. When Wisconsin lines up against Ohio State next season, players who had offers to both schools; 30+ of them will be in scarlet and grey including multiple Badger legacies and 2 of them will be on Wisconsin. The athleticism and depth is a tough gap to close. I’m not saying that Hornibrook should start, but Im also not ready to say Chryst should put Mertz out there if he can’t get the team in the right audibles, recognize the blitzes, doesn’t know the route trees, and could permanently ruin his confidence or his physical state.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In actuality, 4 teams most certainly gets us closer to a true champion.

If only that is what people cared about. Reality is I think people enjoy a not true champion, people love upsets. Not saying they would happen or often...but people would like it.

Regarding next years QB situation. I could see Mertz winning the job outright if he really dominates in practice etc...I would guess Coan gets the nod in the early going though. Not like their season is going anywhere special.

If Alabama and Clemson (and Georgia) can start freshman quarterbacks, so can Wisconsin.

In actuality, 4 teams most certainly gets us closer to a true champion.

If only that is what people cared about. Reality is I think people enjoy a not true champion, people love upsets. Not saying they would happen or often...but people would like it.

Regarding next years QB situation. I could see Mertz winning the job outright if he really dominates in practice etc...I would guess Coan gets the nod in the early going though. Not like their season is going anywhere special.

If Alabama and Clemson (and Georgia) can start freshman quarterbacks, so can Wisconsin.

Didn't say they cannot do it...I just don't think that is how Wisconsin will do it.

If he rolls with Hornibrook he should fired with a capital F. Graham Mertz or even Coan cannot possibly fare any worse over the course of a season. Hornibrook has ruined enough seasons in Madison...move on.

How many seasons can you ruin when you are 26-6 as a starter? I get it, he is athletically limited, can’t throw a screen pass and is poor at passes to the boundary. But by all accounts, he is a tireless worker and prior to last season he was ridiculously effective on obvious passing downs and in the red zone. Admittedly, some of his regression is teams have figured out how to better defend against him, but Wisconsin is more than a QB away from getting to the next level. When Wisconsin lines up against Ohio State next season, players who had offers to both schools; 30+ of them will be in scarlet and grey including multiple Badger legacies and 2 of them will be on Wisconsin. The athleticism and depth is a tough gap to close. I’m not saying that Hornibrook should start, but Im also not ready to say Chryst should put Mertz out there if he can’t get the team in the right audibles, recognize the blitzes, doesn’t know the route trees, and could permanently ruin his confidence or his physical state.

and he is gritty :laughing :laughing :laughing

• 4 weeks later...
Im imagining a Bobby Boucher type explanation. When the qb says hike he gets the ball. Try to tackle him, unless he gives it to the running back, in which case try to tackle him.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/late-arriving-evidence-delays-quintez-cephus-trial/article_0f7aaa0a-07d7-5716-9ea6-915c016966ce.html

Cephus' trial was set to begin this week, but "late arriving evidence" - the alleged victim's cell phone records, which were sent to the judge for initial review - caused the judge to allow the trial to be delayed while the defense is allowed to inspect certain aspects of the records (detailed billing records, but apparently not content). Initially the judge cited the alleged victim's right to privacy as a reason for not allowing the cell phone records to be evidence, but apparently the judge changed his mind after reviewing them.

The other interesting thing is that apparently Danny Davis and one other player are on the prosecution's witness list, and another player (possibly A.J. Taylor) is on the defense's witness list. I had wondered how much of a distraction this was for the team last year, and if you have players as both prosecution and defense witnesses... that could cause issues.

Regardless of the outcome, I would be willing to bet that Cephus has played his last game as a Badger. Between the court of public opinion and suing the university, I doubt they let him play again.

Regardless of the outcome, I would be willing to bet that Cephus has played his last game as a Badger. Between the court of public opinion and suing the university, I doubt they let him play again.

You could be right but I for one would be extremely disappointed if he is found not guilty and is basically cast aside by the university. But yes, it's pretty obvious at this junction of US history that a court of law is pretty irrelevant compared to what some "journalist" might say in an opinion piece on the ESPN website. Facts be damned.

And on the flip side, if he is found guilty in a court of law then he should be punished to the full extent of the law.

I am pretty sure Cephus already made it known he was done with Wisconsin.

I agree but there is a difference between Cephus done with Wisconsin and Wisconsin done with Cephus. Unless, you happened to be from Soviet Union.

That being said, I hope he truly is innocent.

• 2 weeks later...
This is unexpected:

Can't say I'm displeased, though. Time to sink or swim with the future.

Shocked? Why? He was doubtful to ever start at Wisconsin again. He made no improvement starting multiple years. I am not sure Mertz would have started, but if not I am sure Coan would get the nod. Not need another year of the same thing that didn't get you very far as is.

This is unexpected:

Can't say I'm displeased, though. Time to sink or swim with the future.

Shocked? Why? He was doubtful to ever start at Wisconsin again. He made no improvement starting multiple years. I am not sure Mertz would have started, but if not I am sure Coan would get the nod. Not need another year of the same thing that didn't get you very far as is.

Can't say I'm shocked, but it is unexpected. I expected him to play out the string. Will be interesting to see if they give Mertz a fair shake, or hand Coan the job.

I've bagged on him for his play but he seems like a great kid and a hard worker. Hopefully he will find a fit elsewhere and finish out his time as a college athlete.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Puzzling why David Edwards would go pro with workout numbers like he posted at the combine. Maybe he just had a bad day, but if so, it occurred at the absolute wrong time for him. 3-cone time was alright, the rest was nothing to write home about.

Puzzling why David Edwards would go pro with workout numbers like he posted at the combine. Maybe he just had a bad day, but if so, it occurred at the absolute wrong time for him. 3-cone time was alright, the rest was nothing to write home about.

I was thinking he'd be close to 5.0 given his frame and that he was a TE, but from what I've seen the scouts were impressed with his movement at least.

I've never seen it with Edwards. Two years ago they were talking about him being a future 1st round pick during a game(don't remember who, but thought it was ABC vs NU) and I just never really saw that from him. Of course I thought Dallas wasted a pick taking Frederrick in the 1st to move him to Center and he's been a stud for them.

There is a rumor going around that connects David Edwards, Alex Hornibrook, and the cause of Hornibrook's first concussion, and if true it is the type of thing that could easily lead to both of them being told to leave before they get kicked off the team and could lead to Hornibrook losing the locker room if he stays.

I hope it isn't true. That being said, there are a lot of things that are coincidental here.

There is a rumor going around that connects David Edwards, Alex Hornibrook, and the cause of Hornibrook's first concussion, and if true it is the type of thing that could easily lead to both of them being told to leave before they get kicked off the team and could lead to Hornibrook losing the locker room if he stays.

I hope it isn't true. That being said, there are a lot of things that are coincidental here.

Are you referring to something beyond Edwards declaring and Hornibrook leaving? Because I think both those are pretty easily explained. For a 3 year starter and a guy with 26-6 record, Hornibrook was about as maligned as a college QB could be by the fans, and Edwards is a guy who has a chance to go in the 2nd. Could potentially have been higher had he had a better combine.

Are you referring to something beyond Edwards declaring and Hornibrook leaving?

Yes. Look around for the rumor that connects Hornibrook, Edwards, and Hornibrook's first concussion.

Edwards is a guy who has a chance to go in the 2nd

I'm betting against that.

Here are combine numbers for two well-known guys around here:

David Edwards: 5.28 40-yard, 25.5 vertical, 99 broad, 7.69 3-cone, 4.77 20-yard shuttle, passed on bench

Jason Spriggs: 4.94 40-yard, 31.5 vertical, 115 broad, 7.70 3-cone, 4.44 20-yard shuttle, 31 reps

Spriggs actually was a 2nd round pick. Add to that a lot of bad tape on Edwards this year. I have Edwards going in the 5th round, and that's about what NFL.com has him graded as. The only reason he has a chance to go higher than the 5th is because this is a weak draft class for OTs, but I'd bet that he isn't drafted until day 3.

Ya LouisEly, I was going to post about that the other day. Seems like those rumors might be true. Talk is after the incident that Hornibrook lost the team. Would also explain why that team underperformed. There was something that was off with them.

Again, nothing confirmed with all this, but where there is smoke there is fire. Talk of Hornibrook getting punched by Edwards and giving him the first concussion. Maybe the reason being something to do with Edward's girlfriend and Hornibrook. Again, obviously these are rumors, but a lot of people believe something happened between them.

Archived