Brewer Fanatic

2018 Wisconsin Badgers football

LouisEly

Given the extreme unlikeliness of playing in the NFL, this could very well be it for Hornibrook's career. Given the number of other Badgers who have walked away from football due to concussions, you have to wonder if it's worth it to try to come back. You also have to wonder if he came back too soon and that 2nd concussion is the one that did him in.

I'm pretty sure that if a kid gets hurt playing football he keeps his scholarship but doesn't count towards the scholarship limit, so there's no academic incentive to keep playing.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given the extreme unlikeliness of playing in the NFL, this could very well be it for Hornibrook's career. Given the number of other Badgers who have walked away from football due to concussions, you have to wonder if it's worth it to try to come back. You also have to wonder if he came back too soon and that 2nd concussion is the one that did him in.

I'm pretty sure that if a kid gets hurt playing football he keeps his scholarship but doesn't count towards the scholarship limit, so there's no academic incentive to keep playing.

The bolded part is correct as long as the school applies you for a different scholarship (can't think of the name of it right now).

If I had to guess, he came back and played before he was truly ready. Supposedly he only had one concussion this year, and the other times were symptoms from that concussion. If it is taking him this long to recover from one concussion, he needs to seriously think about hanging up the cleats.

Community Moderator
Who scheduled this game at 2 PM (Pacific) in the middle of the week? It’s not even a holiday or anything. I had actually considered watching it.

Weird how a crappy bowl gets a crappy start time.

It makes you wonder why they even bother. I hope the players are having fun in NY at least.

It's why you see a ton of kids that are seniors or declaring early for the draft just skipping these bowls. There's no point in risking injury just to say you won the Pinstripe Bowl or Cheez It Bowl or whatever.

Community Moderator
It's why you see a ton of kids that are seniors or declaring early for the draft just skipping these bowls. There's no point in risking injury just to say you won the Pinstripe Bowl or Cheez It Bowl or whatever.

When there's a random guy in Florida making $1 million/year for doing nothing else besides running the Outback Bowl, you know there's a serious problem.

Although the Cheez-It bowl was tremendously popular on social media for being such a terrible game. So they could probably just let the freshmen play and do fine with TV ratings.

Who scheduled this game at 2 PM (Pacific) in the middle of the week? It’s not even a holiday or anything. I had actually considered watching it.

Whoever at ESPN wanted to get in three meaningless bowl games today, including squeezing in the Academy Sports & Outdoors Texas Bowl matchup of Baylor vs. Vanderbilt before the evening Sports Center.

I saw Saban isnt in favor of expanding the playoff to 8. His reasoning is that players will skip bowl games to go to the NFL. I'm pretty sure that is already happening...isnt it?

Badgers dominating, but have missed an opportunity for points on 4? Straight drives.

Community Moderator
I saw Saban isnt in favor of expanding the playoff to 8. His reasoning is that players will skip bowl games to go to the NFL. I'm pretty sure that is already happening...isnt it?

Since skipping the bowl is now commonplace so I would expect players to start bailing sooner. Leaving in October or early November after elimination from the playoff (2-3 losses) might be a smart move.

Since skipping the bowl is now commonplace so I would expect players to start bailing sooner. Leaving in October or early November after elimination from the playoff (2-3 losses) might be a smart move.

Now that is a valid concern.

Community Moderator

Now that is a valid concern.

I hope someone does it because we will probably have our 8-team playoff about 10 minutes after it happens.

A nice way for the Badgers to end a disappointing season. Completely dominant over Miami in all aspects of the game tonight.

Indeed, and as somebody who sat through that 51-3 butt kicking Miami served up at Camp Randall in '89, I don't feel bad about that last TD Deal scored.

I've loved beating them in 3 bowls in 10 years now.

Badgers dominating, but have missed an opportunity for points on 4? Straight drives.

He's against the playoff expanding because it means he will have to win an additional game against a top 8 opponent to win a national championship.

I hypothesized earlier that an additional game means less of a chance of winning a national championship and increasing the risk of injury, thus increasing the chance of elite players skipping the playoff games.

Could you image what our offense could be if we had a QB who was remotely a threat? Teams load box with 8 to stop Taylor & still can’t do it. When you have a back like that even an average QB could make big plays.... Hornibrook & Coan have Wisconsin as one dimensional as most youth & middle school teams. Ride your beast man child back, throw in a couple passes here & there.... pray ball goes where it is suppose to. Sadly we actually have one of our best receiving cores in awhile.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Could you image what our offense could be if we had a QB who was remotely a threat? Teams load box with 8 to stop Taylor & still can’t do it. When you have a back like that even an average QB could make big plays.... Hornibrook & Coan have Wisconsin as one dimensional as most youth & middle school teams. Ride your beast man child back, throw in a couple passes here & there.... pray ball goes where it is suppose to. Sadly we actually have one of our best receiving cores in awhile.

I'm hoping they don't do the Wisconsin thing and keep Mertz on the scout team all season. They did the same thing years ago with Bollinger, even though it was obvious he was the best QB on the team. If Mertz is the other-worldly talent he is being hyped as, he should play in 2019. There is no way Hornibrook and Coan are the types of talents that should keep him down.

I didn’t get a chance to see much of the game, how did Coan look?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I didn’t get a chance to see much of the game, how did Coan look?

He threw the ball 11 times, so pretty much like nothing. His INT was a miserable decision. Hard to really judge him when they didn't need to throw the ball, ever.

If he would have avoided the INT decision it would have been a solid showing.

Archived