Brewer Fanatic

2018 Wisconsin Badgers football

LouisEly
If the 4th seed wins, they would now be the #1 team anyway, so there's no issue with an inferior team winning the title

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. If they win the championship they aren’t an inferior team.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Even though Oklahoma snuck in as a 4th seed this year and didn't really deserve to play for the title, they would finish with the best resume if they win it all. But a 7 or 8 seed could win it and still not finish the season with the best overall resume. Some people are so concerned with certain teams not getting a chance to play for the title, but in my opinion they did get a chance. That's what the regular season is in college football, and I prefer it that way. I choose not to regard bowl games as boring or meaningless just because they don't have title implications, and a bigger tournament would just shift some of the drama and "meaningfulness" away from the regular season and on to the post season. Bit of a zero-sum game in my opinion.

The point is that when the team that the committee says is the fourth best team beats two teams ahead of them en route to the national championship then clearly they weren’t the fourth best team. The committee got it wrong. It’s not their fault because it’s impossible to know for sure the exact order of who is best but they still got it wrong. So if they got that wrong whose to say they didn’t get anything else wrong? You keep saying the fifth best team didn’t earn a chance to au but just because the committee says they are the fifth best team doesn’t make them the fifth best team. It doesn’t mean they didn’t earn a spot.

With all due respect, the crux of my argument continues to go over your head every single time. The most deserving teams are the ones that had the best regular season. They are not the ones that are capable of winning the title regardless of whether they earned the right to play for it. A team that didn't have one of the best regular seasons but is still capable of winning it all does NOT deserve a spot. They already had their chance to win it all and they blew it in the regular season. Since sometimes there are more than 2 teams that can make a case, you have to have a 4-team playoffs, but it would be extremely rare for the 5th seed to be able to make the case that they were top 2 in regular season performance. The fact that they might win the tournament doesn't mean they deserved to be there based on their season-long performance - it just means it's a sport and that's what happens sometimes.

I actually think it's much more of an exact science than conference titles. There's a lot of solid analytics that goes into analyzing strength-of-schedule, margins of victory, and inter-conference games to get some idea of what an 11-1 record means in the SEC compared to a 13-0 record for UCF.

How can anything be more exact then playing the game?

Uh, playing 12-14 games and making use of all that data to determine who had the best regular season and therefore earned the right to compete for the title? You know, so you don't get people making a case that Purdue proved themselves against Ohio State or crap like that?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if this would work? If you want to be considered for the National championship then you have to schedule 5 games against teams that were ranked in the top 25 in the previous season with 3 of those games at a minimum being out of conference games.

If you don't have 5 games scheduled you can't be considered for the championship game. Could be hard to fit this in schedule wise but it should help with determining a more consistent national championship. Could keep the 4 team playoffs also.

Scheduling opponents is done so in advance that I don’t see that changing. Like Badgers for over a year already have Notre Dame booked for 2020 & think 2021. The Conference schedule for say Badgers could kill them. Realistically no Big Ten West team may finish in Top 25 so you’d have to scramble to try to find 4-5 non conference games vs Top 25 teams. Considering the negotiations involved & fighting over home field because teams would be two nervous to commit to sets (have to be confident team will annually be a top 25 team.

Think system is fine right now. 8 game playoff would bring in more money & more national excitement but I don’t mind the 4 game either.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Read an article today that quoted a “big ten source” that says the Big Ten is going after Texas and Oklahoma for when their grant or rights or whatever it’s called expires in 2025. Obviously it’s just a rumor but if this happens the Big 12 will be done and the next round of realignment scrambling will occur. I think it would result in 4 16 team super conferences.

First off I don’t see Texas and Oklahoma leaving. They can dominate financially in the Big 12 and they can reach the playoffs easier that way.

As a Kansas fan it was a rumor last year (after someone from Nebraska made some comments) of Oklahoma and Kansas jumping over to the B1G together down the road. That seems a bit more realistic to be honest. Kansas recently started $300mil in improvements to their football stadium and brought in Les Miles. If they turn around their program they could be an attractive addition with revenues that rival other teams they have recently added.

Of course politics can get into it and breaking up in state schools can be hard. That was something that killed Kansas potentially joining the B1G the last go around.

One quick thing to add about the bowl system. It’s becomkng more and more popular for “top” draft prospects to skip the bowl to avoid injury. I get it but it just reinforces the idea that bowl games are glorified exhibition games. I’ve yet to see a top prospect skip a playoff game because those games actually have meaning.

I see super conferences happening and the major conferences are kind of just holding off until someone blinks. The biggest issue is likely going to be politics and the Big 12. I think it's fair to say at this point the Big Ten, SEC, ACC and Pac 12 will be left standing and the Big 12 will split. You have Oklahoma and Texas as the major powers in terms of money and success within the Big 12. The last go around of expansion brought some interesting political comments regarding pairing of certain schools with Oklahoma/Okie State, Kansas/Kansas State and even Texas/smaller school like TCU or Baylor mentioned by some as a package deal. If cards actually started to fall, Notre Dame is likely to go ACC. Texas is the true wild card as their profile is a huge draw for a conference and they could have their pick of the Big Ten, SEC or Pac 12. From there the dominos will fall and some schools will be left out. It's also possible that poaching could happen in terms of schools from major conferences going to another.

If super conferences become a thing, the wild west could happen with people jockeying for best position. If Texas can join the Big Ten and be put in the West, that is likely their best route to a championship vice SEC West or PAC 12 South with say Oklahoma. Scheduling is also nice as it should eliminate duplicate matchups in conference championships. You play the other 7 teams in your division, 5 non-conference. With 5 non-conference it gives more potential games for those schools not playing in a major conference to get good matchups. This format also allows teams to schedule tougher matchups without fear of losing out on a title chance because what matters is winning your division and conference, not rankings. Early season marquee matchups can make some nice cash which schools will want to grab since their share (TV, bowl pool, etc) goes down if you add more schools to your conference. It also allows you to schedule traditional rivalries if split. Say Oklahoma goes Pac 12 and Texas Big Ten. They can still play the Red River Shootout every year. Notre Dame can still schedule USC or Michigan or whomever they desire. You still keep bowl system so all parties cash in. You get a true champion format without polls as the 4 conference champions engage in a playoff for the winner. Conference matchups rotate yearly, no seeding required and they take place in the top bowl games. Removing the human element/bias will further help eliminate the debate over the process. Makes too much sense to happen, but I wonder if the NCAA even cares if they have an undisputed champion and the publicity/debate keeps their product in the public eye constantly.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I’d say super conferences are inevitable, but to have that happen you have to get Texas to leave...and I don’t see why they would want to do that. The Big 12 wont survive that so that likely means you wouldn’t have to deal with politics surrounding in state teams splitting.

I don’t think Oklahoma leaving assures the Big 12 dies...I think Texas is the only way for that to happen. The B1G won’t add teams unless the Big 12 disbands because without it they would lose to much bowl money etc.

I dont think a team with 2 losses should have a chance at the Playoff 4. The weak scheduling by Alabama does need to be addressed. They lose 1game or even 2 in their conference, it's jjust how great the SEC is to have that happen. But how about the conference is weak that year? How often is that barked at in men's bbasketball? The Big10? Its just never a thing. Sec is hardest conference since BCS existed. Yet how often are they losing the bowl games outside the BCS?

How about set an open date (8th or 9th weekl) at neutral sites for every football team to play an opponent not known til the week before. Arrange it with every 12 in a determined ranking to go by to play vs. 1v12 2v11. Etc. 13v24 14v23 etc. 25v36 26v35 etc.

This results in no top 25 team getting an argument having not played a tough opponent. UCF would play a tough game to have their record judged by. Tcu\Boise st\Central Michigan\Miami that group of teams gets their tough matchup argued not having. You also negate that we scheduled the tough out of conference game years back not knowing they were going to suck this season argument. It's week 8 or 9 and this is how they are Currently ranked in the minds of National Rankings.

Now I know this will often result in a conference team facing eachother. Im not sure if you just swap 11/12 or 10/11 to gain the non conference matchup. Maybe you just play how its matched up, no matter what 1 team is hurt on playoff 5. One is upgraded. Leave that National Ranking group to drop or raise a team to avoid that scenario. You see it all the time 23-25 rankings always seem to happen when about to face a top 20 team.

I’d say super conferences are inevitable, but to have that happen you have to get Texas to leave...and I don’t see why they would want to do that. The Big 12 wont survive that so that likely means you wouldn’t have to deal with politics surrounding in state teams splitting.

I don’t think Oklahoma leaving assures the Big 12 dies...I think Texas is the only way for that to happen. The B1G won’t add teams unless the Big 12 disbands because without it they would lose to much bowl money etc.

I don't think Texas or Notre Dame are strong enough to stop super conferences from coming. Once it hits, they will be one of the first to move knowing that they will be shutout of any title hopes or major conference affiliation for their cash cow. If Oklahoma were to leave the Big 12, by themselves, I think the conference could survive. I don't think Oklahoma would leave by themselves. They have the gravy train right now as the dominant power in the Big 12 and yearly tickets to the playoff. If they are leaving, it's because the super conference moves have started and others are jumping ship too.

I'm curious to see which conference is the one to start the domino. It seems to be in a bit of a standoff waiting for the others to blink. I wonder if the actual holdup is waiting on the lawsuits to finish and see how much the schools are going to have to pay their athletes. No need to worry about super conferences until that is settled as that may affect which schools even continue to play football.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I couldn't find a super up to date article, but isn't Texas one of the Top 3 colleges for sports revenue. They can and will decide any "super conference" becomes a thing. If Oklahoma leaves with someone, even then, they could just add someone to take their place. As you said, why would they anyway?

Super conference moves rely on Texas moving because no conference is going to risk having so many teams and have the Big 12 not actually dissolve.

One quick thing to add about the bowl system. It’s becoming more and more popular for “top” draft prospects to skip the bowl to avoid injury. I get it but it just reinforces the idea that bowl games are glorified exhibition games. I’ve yet to see a top prospect skip a playoff game because those games actually have meaning.

This is an important point. Right now it's extremely rare, if it's ever happened, for a top prospect to skip a playoff game. This is likely because the team only has to win two games to be crowned national champion.

What we don't know is if the same thing will happen if the playoff expands to eight teams and now it's three games to win a national championship. Now the odds of winning a national championship just got smaller, and their odds of getting injured just got bigger. Not just injured in a game, but injured in practice, lifting weights/training, etc. It's also another opportunity to look bad against another very good team/other very good players.

I can tell you this - the only players who want the playoffs to expand to eight teams are the average players from the teams ranked 5-8. The elite players want nothing to do with an extra game. A close friend of mine - who was the #3 ranked QB recruit in the nation coming out of high school - told me that as a player he would absolutely not want a playoff-type tournament or any extra game; his career also ended in practice when a defensive lineman fell on his leg.

If they go to eight teams and then elite players subsequently sit out, then you can't call it crowning a national champion if the best players aren't playing.

I couldn't find a super up to date article, but isn't Texas one of the Top 3 colleges for sports revenue. They can and will decide any "super conference" becomes a thing. If Oklahoma leaves with someone, even then, they could just add someone to take their place. As you said, why would they anyway?

Super conference moves rely on Texas moving because no conference is going to risk having so many teams and have the Big 12 not actually dissolve.

Texas is one of the top 3, if not the top school in terms of money. That doesn't mean they dictate what will happen with a super conference. If they decide to not move when super conferences happen, then they have just cut their revenue stream significantly and shut out any chance at a football national championship. I highly doubt their donors would like that. I can see Texas jump starting super conference change since they can take their pick of a conference since everyone will want them and the Big 12 can't survive as a major conference without them. I doubt Texas has the power to hold everything up because they don't want to move when super conferences become a thing. Once the movement happens, the prime target for expansion is going to be the Big 12. Outside of the Big 12 schools, the pool for expansion starts to get small pretty quickly. So if Texas says no thanks, are you saying the rest of the big 12 will stand pat instead of taking their chance to stay in a major conference to compete at the highest stage? From what I gather, most of the Big 12 schools do not like Texas since they take what they want and get special treatment.

This is likely because the team only has to win two games to be crowned national champion.

I’d say it’s more likely because the game actually means something. A bowl game means absolutely nothing. I’d have a hard time seeing a player not play in a playoff game because he wants to protect his draft value. His teammates would be furious.

If they go to eight teams and then elite players subsequently sit out, then you can't call it crowning a national champion if the best players aren't playing

It’s absolutely still a championship. It’s no different than if a player doesn’t play because he’s hurt. If, say, Alabama’s starting QB and starting middle linebacker get hurt in the semis then Clemson proceeds to beat Alabama in the championship game would you claim Clemson isn’t really the champion because two of Alabama’s best players didn’t play? Of course not.

I do see an argument for fewer games though. It could be easily solved by eliminating one of the non conference games because EVERY team plays at least one, and almost always two or three games against far inferior teams. Of course they do it for the extra revenue from another home game so schools might want to give them up. But simply eliminating one of those games makes up for any added game that only 8 teams might have to play.

They can and will decide any "super conference" becomes a thing

The only thing Texas could do is go independent like Notre Dame. If Oklahoma bolts you can bet other schools would look to go too. Yeah you can add schools to replace them but that doesn’t mean the revenue or the prestige of the conference would be the same.

I think what would be the most likely to happen is Texas would either join the Big Ten or the SEC.

They can and will decide any "super conference" becomes a thing

The only thing Texas could do is go independent like Notre Dame. If Oklahoma bolts you can bet other schools would look to go too. Yeah you can add schools to replace them but that doesn’t mean the revenue or the prestige of the conference would be the same.

I think what would be the most likely to happen is Texas would either join the Big Ten or the SEC.

They will decide it unless the entire Big 12 gets up and leaves at the same time. The problem with that is the top conferences already have 14 teams. The B1G specifically refused to add more teams because they didn't want 16+ teams with the current Power 5 set-up. They were set to lose too much money if the Big 12 didn't disband. It especially doesn't help there doesn't seem to really be any reason Oklahoma would want to leave. If Texas doesn't leave and Oklahoma doesn't leave I have a hard time seeing the Big 12 faltering.

As much as some teams may not care for Texas and the Big 12 it is going to be pretty hard for another conference to take them on without a Big 12 disband.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810445-college-footballs-influential-voices-ready-to-discuss-8-team-playoff-format?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Saw this article today. I just don't think they will keep it at 4 for much longer. I thought having a one loss Ohio State/(other high profile team with 1 loss) not in the playoff might start the boulder.

As much as some teams may not care for Texas and the Big 12 it is going to be pretty hard for another conference to take them on without a Big 12 disband

It’s all about the money. If Texas can make more money in the Big Ten or SEC then they’ll have no problem leaving the Big 12. Same with Oklahoma. And once one of the leaves it’ll be a mad scramble for all the other teams to get out so don’t end up on the outside looking in like UConn and Cincinnati did when the Big East broke up. I don’t like it. I actually think the Big East could have been a solid conference had everyone stuck around but it is what it is.

As much as some teams may not care for Texas and the Big 12 it is going to be pretty hard for another conference to take them on without a Big 12 disband

If Texas can make more money in the Big Ten or SEC then they’ll have no problem leaving the Big 12. Same with Oklahoma. And once one of the leaves it’ll be a mad scramble for all the other teams to get out so don’t end up on the outside looking in like UConn and Cincinnati did when the Big East broke up. I don’t like it. I actually think the Big East could have been a solid conference had everyone stuck around but it is what it is.

Right, teams already wanted to do this the last time the B1G was adding, but Texas has to leave first or no conference is picking them up. I don't think it helps matters that the playoff will eventually expand to 8 teams. Even more of a reason for teams to feel motivated to keep the Big 12 alive.

Biadasz and David Edwards submitted paperwork to the NFL to evaluate their draft prospects. Biadasz could get a top-3 round grade, but I will be very surprised if Edwards does. His performance this past season, hopefully due to the shoulder injury, was not worthy of a top-3 round grade.

Kaden Lyles has been getting a lot of work at center in practice. Biadasz may have told PC that if he gets a top-3 round grade he won't play in the bowl game. I would think that Erdmann is the backup C; maybe they want to have a 3rd string ready in case Erdmann gets hurt. But maybe Benzschawel is considering skipping the bowl game and Erdmann will be needed at RG.

Kaden Lyles has been getting a lot of work at center in practice. Biadasz may have told PC that if he gets a top-3 round grade he won't play in the bowl game. I would think that Erdmann is the backup C; maybe they want to have a 3rd string ready in case Erdmann gets hurt. But maybe Benzschawel is considering skipping the bowl game and Erdmann will be needed at RG.

Good thing these meaningless bowl games get the 'best' players playing in them. I realize why they do it, but finish the season at least.

Archived