Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Payroll Issue Question

With all the revenue sharing and payroll discussions going on, brought a question to mind. How much more does a playoff team make in revenue? Is it a large amount that would offset a larger payroll? Or is it insignificant?

It depends a bit on how far you go obviously. 9-10 home games with double or triple normal ticket prices that will guaranteed sell out with a lot of standing room tickets is a ton of revenue. You can't really plan for making the world series though. I would like to think a team would justify adding some of that revenue to a future payroll though.

Community Moderator
With all the revenue sharing and payroll discussions going on, brought a question to mind. How much more does a playoff team make in revenue? Is it a large amount that would offset a larger payroll? Or is it insignificant?

It depends a bit on how far you go obviously. 9-10 home games with double or triple normal ticket prices that will guaranteed sell out with a lot of standing room tickets is a ton of revenue. You can't really plan for making the world series though. I would like to think a team would justify adding some of that revenue to a future payroll though.

Teams get very little of the ticket revenue except for games 4-5 of the DS and games 5-7 of the LCS/WS. About 2/3 goes to the players and commissioners office and the remaining 1/3 has to be split equally between the two teams. Home vs. away doesn't matter, always split 50/50. So the Brewers end up with a maximum of 21% of the ticket revenue from a wild card game and 17% from other games...except the ones mentioned above which do not go to the players pool, then I think it's 42.5%.

Other revenue such as game-day parking, merchandise, and concessions are harder to quantify, but likely worth far more than the ticket revenue because they do not have to be shared. The positive feedbacks on the following years' revenue are probably the greatest benefit.

I would guess teams really don't get all that much from the playoffs themselves but make their money the next year in increased ticket and merch sales and charging more for sponsorships.

I have to think there is some money in concessions, parking, and the previously mentioned merch revenues for each sellout playoff game. Probably net $300k+ a game after labor/supplies.

I wonder how much advertising money they make on in-stadium signage (permanent, scrolling). I would assume they get a little bit more for the playoffs for the scrolling adverts.

Don't know how much extra revenue they would receive from TV and radio...

Archived