Brewer Fanatic

Brett Nicholas

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nicholas was DFA'd by the Rangers today to make room for Lincecum. While he hasn't been a world-beater, he has shown to be a decent hitter with solid power in the high minors. Would he be an upgrade on Bandy if Vogt can't make it back on time for the start of the season?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/rangers-designate-brett-nicholas-announce-signing-of-tim-lincecum.html

I like this idea. Anyone know a thing about his defense? I mean it can't be worse than Vogt and the fact that he's a lefty could be a cheaper option than Vogt.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Good eyes JMB. His numbers at Round Rock last year were great offensively. Not a big enough sample at the major league level for me to come to any conclusion personally. 4 years younger than Vogt. Left handed bat helps and the wonders of Miller Park to LHBs seem to be another reason to be curious about it... I have no idea about his defense.

Interesting idea.

I wouldn't waste a 40 man spot on an almost 30 year old career minor leaguer.

Same philosophy has worked out pretty good so far with Pina.

I don't believe Pina was on our 40 man roster until Lucroy was traded. I know he wasn't in December of 2015 and there was no reason to add him prior to Lucroy being traded.

From what I can tell it appears Nicholas used an option in 2016 and 2017 so would have on left. Would consider adding him as it would be nice to have a major league catcher they can bring up/send down as many times as they want instead of using Nottingham that way. Could then still have Bandy/Vogt fight it out for the final catching spot, eventually opening up another roster spot. I believe the Brewers can now put Nelson on the 60 day DL if they need a roster spot. Of course if the Brewers sign a pitcher or Walker they could always DFA Nicholas.

the question is how much better is he than what we got but again it might be a low risk move.

He compares favorably to Vogt offensively, and really can't be any worse defensively. He's be a couple million $ cheaper. It depends on how they view Vogt's intangibles (clubhouse chemistry, leadership, handling of the pitching staff, etc.) Is that worth his more advanced age, higher salary and injury risk?

Also, Bethancourt is likely substantially better defensively than Nicholas. If they feel that he can his well enough to be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart, than maybe Nicholas wouldn't be an option

I think it makes it more difficult because they then would have five catchers on the 40 man in season if Vogt goes on the DL. Before one of Vogt/Bandy was getting removed for sure.

Bandy is out of options, so he'd be gone. Nicholas would be effectively replacing him on both the 40- and 25-man rosters. And if you move Vogt to the 60-day DL, he can be removed from the 40-man. Or they could just release Vogt if he injury is serious.

I think it could get dicey releasing Vogt due to injury. It's supposed to be performance-based. He might be able to recoup at least some of his money if it's an injury release.

Then you 60-day DL him to free up the spot.

That's fine, but you're burning $3+ million dollars.

I think it could get dicey releasing Vogt due to injury. It's supposed to be performance-based. He might be able to recoup at least some of his money if it's an injury release.

Then you 60-day DL him to free up the spot.

That's fine, but you're burning $3+ million dollars.

There are conflicting reports on if he can be released or not, so that would be the only other alternative if he cannot. If he can be released with termination pay, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that's what they do.

Bandy is out of options, so he'd be gone.

Are we assuming someone scoops him up or that he would decide not to stay in Milwaukee's system?

Question was simply on how many catchers would be on the 40-man roster. He could certainly sign a minor league deal with the Brewers, but then he would no longer be on the 40-man.

Archived