Brewer Fanatic

Broxton getting more interest than Santana?

My take on Broxton is that, while he certainly doesn't have a spot on the roster as things currently stand, I think he is certainly useful as a depth piece. I'm pretty ambivalent and willing to give the Brewers the benefit of the doubt as to whether some potential trade for low level prospect(s) is worth more to them than having him as depth in the outfield at AAA this year. Though his option likely increases his value to some extent, I don't think it precludes him being able to be traded in the offseason, or potentially making the team as a 4th/5th OF next year as the composition of the roster changes in the next year.

For the record, I'm still pretty high on his defensive abilities. Last year I had looked into a defensive metric that grades each play on the estimated probability that an out can be made, and he was still grading very highly on the hard plays, and it just looked like he had a few egregious errors that hurt his overall numbers in the other metrics people use regularly. Obviously, he made the errors and you can't take them out, but I don't really see him as being likely to continue making as many errors as he had last year.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well something is better than nothing and 1 year of broxton covering the same depth role as phillips is all he gives you. Next year zero options and its highly unlikely he has a MLB spot so he gets cut like scooter.

I'll take something instead of doubling down on OF depth in AAA.

Provides depth for this season and to begin the next. Allows for flexibility if they do want to move a player. No reason to move him if the deal isn’t right.

They'd have to move 2. Santana and Phillips. How long until Stokes is in that mix as well? He's on the wrong side of a numbers game.

Unless the offers right... he's not going to fetch much. Like aguilar he's a nice way to fill out depth but his value is nearly non-existant.

Well something is better than nothing and 1 year of broxton covering the same depth role as phillips is all he gives you. Next year zero options and its highly unlikely he has a MLB spot so he gets cut like scooter.

I'll take something instead of doubling down on OF depth in AAA.

Provides depth for this season and to begin the next. Allows for flexibility if they do want to move a player. No reason to move him if the deal isn’t right.

They'd have to move 2. Santana and Phillips. How long until Stokes is in that mix as well? He's on the wrong side of a numbers game.

Unless the offers right... he's not going to fetch much. Like aguilar he's a nice way to fill out depth but his value is nearly non-existant.

I saw Stokes this spring. Guy looks small. Doesn't meet the eye test. Also appears to lack power or high OBP. Screams Kyle Wren Part II.

I saw Stokes this spring. Guy looks small. Doesn't meet the eye test. Also appears to lack power or high OBP. Screams Kyle Wren Part II.

With the exception of his first taste of AAA, Kyle Wren can have many things said of him, but one of them would not be that he lacks a high OBP.

No he is small. He doesn't look small he is small. Everyone following along knows that. They also know he was the best power bat in carolina last year after harrison was promoted. It continued in AA. Only erceg hit more and he had 130 more ab than stokes. But he's 5'8 so he lacks power OR? obp.

The eye test... come on. Glad you didn't look at 5'6 altuve. (Not comparing them, just the eye test metric of... oh hes small)

What are some potential landing spots for Broxton? I glanced around the league quickly & came up pretty empty. Lots of the mid-level contenders seem to have comparable or better in-house CF options, & I'm not sure which major contenders Keon would start for.

Stated previously. Colorado in 2019. AAA backup for 2018.

If it came down to it...Would you trade Santana for jeff samardzija?

No...I would trade Keon for him and take on a portion of that contract. No interest in dealing Domingo for him though.

Pretty much this, but it would have to be a very large portion. Samardzija has about 3/60 remaining on his contract, and no way is he a 3/60 guy on the open market right now.

Santana's done nothing this spring to make himself more attractive in a deal. 17 K's in 29 ABs? He's making Counsel's job easy.

I hate to beat the dead horse...but ever heard of something called Spring Training?

Kyle Wren (27) | ISO: .088 | XBH%: 20.9 | BB%: 9.4 | 8th round college senior.

Troy Stokes (22) | ISO: .150 | XBH%: 35.2 | BB%: 10.9 | 4th round HS draftee.

They're both short, but when Wren was Stokes age he was in A ball. Stokes is also BUILT for a little guy. Wren's ultimate upside for me is 4th OF with the most likely outcome 5th OF/AAAA. I think Stokes still has a shot at being a solid MLB LF if he reaches his upside with 4th OF his most likely outcome.

Hopefully one of the aforementioned teams offers up some interesting arms or maybe a catching prospect for Keon. While he's nice depth to have around he's also superfluous at the moment with our OF depth & it'd be nice to see him get an MLB shot with a team that can offer more PAs than we can.

Santana's done nothing this spring to make himself more attractive in a deal. 17 K's in 29 ABs? He's making Counsel's job easy.

I hate to beat the dead horse...but ever heard of something called Spring Training?

He's in a few different threads with the basic theme of "Thames sucks". Just ignore.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

He's in a few different threads with the basic theme of "Thames sucks". Just ignore.

Read my posts before commenting on them. I observed Thames not running well this spring. I did not question his ability other than the implication that AB's are at a premium at his position and it would help if he looked athletic. That was an observation.

Dodgers have lost Turner for an undetermined time. They could move Taylor from the OF to 3B which would open up a corner OF spot. Santana would be a cost effective target if they would be willing to part with something of real value.

Turner will most likely be back sometime in May. I'm not sure that's a spot where the Dodgers would panic and make a trade for Santana because it would only clog up their OF when Turner returns to 3B.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Dodgers have lost Turner for an undetermined time. They could move Taylor from the OF to 3B which would open up a corner OF spot. Santana would be a cost effective target if they would be willing to part with something of real value.

Braun can play 3B lol.

The Dodgers also are loaded with spare part AAAA guys like Broxton or "not ready" prospects in the minors that can get 50 AB OFs if they really did Taylor to 3B for a short while.

I don't think Broxton or Santana are legit targets for the Dodgers, but I'll add that Seager may not be ready to open the season...so Taylor will likely be the everyday SS while Forsythe fills in at 3b.

Archived