Brewer Fanatic

Broxton getting more interest than Santana?

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Keon Broxton is drawing more trade interest from teams than Domingo Santana.

Santana's name has been mentioned often as a potential trade piece, especially after the Brewers traded for Christian Yelich and signed Lorenzo Cain. However, Haudricourt hears that Broxton is the one clubs are asking about more because he's cheaper, has speed, can play center field and has an option remaining. Broxton is a career .226/.317/.422 hitter but was a 20/20 player last season, and his power/speed combo would make him interesting again in fantasy if he's dealt somewhere where he has an easier path to playing time.

Source: Tom Haudricourt on TwitterMar 5 - 7:39 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that and he wouldn't cost near as much in trade capital.

Exactly that. Santana is clearly the better player and would cost more so it's not surprising Keon is getting more interest. This generally isn't the time of year teams are looking to make major trades. Keon is exactly the kind of guy who gets traded in ST.

Kinda hoping that Broxton could fetch a solid controllable bullpen piece, I wouldn't expect any more than that (and maybe not even that much).

He could be a pretty solid buy low candidate for a team that could let him play every day. I'd hate to see him get traded and finally figure it out, but at this point I'm not sure there's a chance for him to figure it out with us so we might as well get something for him.

All this said, trading Broxton does pretty much nothing to alleviate our current situation because he was extremely unlikely to make the opening day roster anyways.

Except that the Brewers don't need to trade him with an option still remaining. No need to just give him away so hopefully they get a couple of lottery tickets at least.

Don't need to trade him but they really don't need him either. Phillips could probably match or outproduce Keon. Or since Keon is basically just going to be a defensive replacement/pinch runner Kyle Wren could probably fit that role. And I'm not so sure Keon has another option. I thought they used his last one last year. And if he does that should increase his trade value a little.

I don’t want to give up Suter. Am I actually saying that? Okay, back on point.. Suter is going to be very valuable to us in that pen and with his presence.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Keon, Suter, Aguilar for Cotton, Lowrie and a prospect would be intriguing

Nope nope nope. I'm not trading away any pitching I want to keep that's on the mlb roster. I'd rather get one 19 year old A ball ticket arm than trade out a contributer to get an equal risk add like Cotton.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can't see the Brewers trading pitching away, especially ML pitching. If anything was added to Broxton, it would be low-level minor leaguers. I almost wonder if this info was deliberately put out there to drive interest in Broxton and/or Santana. Teams hearing that there isn't a ton of interest in Santana may spur some conversation from teams thinking they can get him on the cheap. Clearing Broxton out would help the roster crunch a little, but there's still the issue with too many 1B candidates.

Except that the Brewers don't need to trade him with an option still remaining. No need to just give him away so hopefully they get a couple of lottery tickets at least.

Don't need to trade him but they really don't need him either. Phillips could probably match or outproduce Keon. Or since Keon is basically just going to be a defensive replacement/pinch runner Kyle Wren could probably fit that role. And I'm not so sure Keon has another option. I thought they used his last one last year. And if he does that should increase his trade value a little.

He definitely has another option. It's on this site somewhere. I'll attempt to link it.

Edit: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/keon-broxton-has-minor-league-option-remaining.html

The option actually gives us a little bit more leverage. If he didn't have one, we'd probably have to just take the best offer now.

He's got some cost control and a nice power/speed mix, so there's potential for something there. I'd take either a decent bullpen asset or Adam Lind type return.

Yeah if you hadn't read through all the thread talk, he wasn't down in the minors for 20 days so he didn't burn his option last season. It's actually quite old news.

Having that option, he has value to teams that lose a FA after the season. I'd put Colorado on watch. Blackmon is a FA after this season and Parra has an option after this season, that he's not worth. Colorado doesn't have the depth in AAA to supplant these two and Broxton's defense could be welcome for Coors Field, you know his HR bat will be welcome there. Probably jump up to 30-35 with games there.

I'd try hard to get Peter Lambert from Colorado. Maybe you can throw in Vogt and roll with Bandy and Pina on the season.(Lucroy watch) Broxton's low price could help them in FA maybe next season or extension of Arenado? Can't believe he's getting 17.5mil with 1 more Arb to come! must be approaching 25mil next season maybe 28mil!

Arcia & Broxton for Jean Segura

or

Broxton for Robinson Cano

Either way, I just solved our second base problems. Man, I should be GM.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived