Brewer Fanatic

Vogt out 2-3 weeks with shoulder strain [Latest: Season Over, Career possibly over as well]

SeaBass

Jett Bandy = 28 years old = 477 MLB plate appearance = .220/.283/.371/.654

Christian Bethancourt = 26 years old = 489 plate appearances = .222/.252/.316/.567

I'd just stick with Bandy. I really don't think Bethancourt's prospect status from five years ago has any relevance.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think both Bethancourt and Nottingham need consistent AB's in the minors at this stage for their own benefit, so I'd be surprised if Vogt's setback means nothing more than Bandy staying in Milwaukee until midseason. After a few more months, I could see either Bethancourt or Nottingham replacing Bandy on the roster if Vogt has a shoulder issue that keeps him off the field longterm.

I don't think C is the MLB roster's most pressing issue. Until the 2B / MIF pile of crap gets sorted out for the organization's longterm benefit I'd prefer they not tinker with any other area of the 40-man unless an injury prompts it.

I agree with Nottingham. It was only a year ago he was fading, now that he's hitting and defense is improving he needs to play every day. Bethancourt is not the future, so I have no problem bringing him up. Can't imagine he would be worse than Bandy, but worth taking the risk to find out at this point. That move should be done today, who knows when or if Voght will ever be back.

Bethancourt is just 26 and was much higher rated as a prospect than Nottingham. He's simply better than Nottingham and he's not old. It's great that Nottingham has started to hit in a small sample but he hit just .209/.326/.369 at AA last year. When Bethancourt was in AA at age 21, he hit .277/.305/.436. Both have all the tools defensively and meet the eye test. They both look the part of starting catchers in the big leagues. Nottingham has fanned 20 times in 72 PA this season, while Bethancourt has fanned 15 times in 100 PA. That's an indication of which would fare better vs. major league pitching.

Which is why I said Nottingham should stay in AAA all season. I don't care that Bethancourt at one point was a higher rated prospect, or what this numbers were 5 years ago. The future is Nottingham, just not this year. Now, if they bring Bethancourt up and he really performs at a high level, that would be a good problem to have moving forward.

Jett Bandy = 28 years old = 477 MLB plate appearance = .220/.283/.371/.654

Christian Bethancourt = 26 years old = 489 plate appearances = .222/.252/.316/.567

I'd just stick with Bandy. I really don't think Bethancourt's prospect status from five years ago has any relevance.

Both are terrible hitters. No doubt about that. Bethancourt has a cannon behind the plate and brings a little defensive versatility including on the mound if a game gets out of hand. In his only MLB season where he's been given even somewhat regular AB's he put up a 70 OPS+, which is about as good as Bandy has done for his career. Neither are great options, but given the choice between the two I'll take Bethancourt as he brings more to the table.

Verified Member

Stephen Vogt could be facing season-ending shoulder surgery.

Vogt suffered a right shoulder strain in the middle of spring training and then experienced a significant setback last week while on a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Biloxi. He'll seek a second opinion before anything is made official.

Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter May 8 - 4:36 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Link to the Brewers tweet announcing the 60-day DL move for Vogt (just so it's in this thread as well)

Bummer for Stephen. Hope he can make it all the way back.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

while it's unfortunate for vogt and perhaps the brewers as well that his season is definitely over (and perhaps his career also), it's important for us to recognize as fans the relatively low risk they take when signing players to non-guaranteed deals.

vogt could have been cut in spring training, and the brewers would've been on the hook for only a fraction of his salary (as they did with yovani gallardo). of course, the brewers were expecting vogt to only be out for a few weeks, so they guaranteed his deal. but had they known what course his injury would take, he could've been released.

They have to be active here and find someone better than Bandy. Find this year's Vogt type pickup

There isn't going to be a vogt type pickup this year. Too many catchers are injured already. Mets lost both their starting catchers, twins lost Castro for the year. Wieters had surgery on his hammy and is going to be out for at least 6 weeks. Lots of teams are looking for a veteran catcher.

I seriously doubt Bandy would make it through waivers unclaimed.

Archived