Brewer Fanatic

Vogt out 2-3 weeks with shoulder strain [Latest: Season Over, Career possibly over as well]

SeaBass
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read something yesterday that the Brewers can only cut him and get back the money if he's cut due to lack of productivity and a MLB official would have to make the ruling. The fact he is hurt makes me think we are paying him $3M no matter what.

“Arbitration deals generally are not guaranteed, and Vogt said the Brewers told his agent their policy is not to guarantee them. That means he could still be cut at the end of spring camp and receive only a fraction of his salary, so nothing is set until the final roster moves.”

Taken from the MJS. Cutting him would definitely same some cash.

“Arbitration deals generally are not guaranteed, and Vogt said the Brewers told his agent their policy is not to guarantee them. That means he could still be cut at the end of spring camp and receive only a fraction of his salary, so nothing is set until the final roster moves.”

This is take from yesterday's article in the JS. https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/03/12/stephen-vogts-comeback-attempt-suffers-setback/412158002/

"Vogt signed a one-year, non-guaranteed contract with the Brewers on Dec. 1 for $3.065 million. He could be released before opening day with the Brewers responsible for paying one-quarter of his salary, but only if the decision was performance-based, an issue that likely would need to be determined by Major League Baseball."

To me this means the injury means he will be paid.

This is take from yesterday's article in the JS. https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/03/12/stephen-vogts-comeback-attempt-suffers-setback/412158002/

"Vogt signed a one-year, non-guaranteed contract with the Brewers on Dec. 1 for $3.065 million. He could be released before opening day with the Brewers responsible for paying one-quarter of his salary, but only if the decision was performance-based, an issue that likely would need to be determined by Major League Baseball."

To me this means the injury means he will be paid.

Haudricourt posted this on Twitter

"#Brewers have two weeks to figure out Vogt situation. Players without guaranteed deals can be released and get paid one-fourth of salary. Injured players can be released as long as not performance based."

So this says NOT performance based. Rosiak and Haudricourt need to get on the same page.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Haudricourt clarified that initial post above shortly thereafter:

To clarify that Vogt contract situation, you cannot release player merely because of injury. Has to be performance based. How that applies to player too injured to play would be interesting.

Got it. Welp, I had tweeted Tom for an explaination now I'll say none needed lol.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To clarify that Vogt contract situation, you cannot release player merely because of injury. Has to be performance based. How that applies to player too injured to play would be interesting.

LOL clear as mud. Typical Haudricourt response. I would think he would have a contact at MLB that could definitively answer the question, as I'm sure it has come up before. But nope, we are left guessing and speculating.

LOL clear as mud. Typical Haudricourt response. I would think he would have a contact at MLB that could definitively answer the question, as I'm sure it has come up before. But nope, we are left guessing and speculating.

Haudricourt...sucks, honestly.

I am betting there is no way to drop him injured. Probably a protection in there somewhere.

Vogt and Sogard were bad decisions by Stearns. Could have had these guys for peanuts on contracts that were not guaranteed at all. After seeing how the market played out, this was just wasteful spending on guys they were comfortable with.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Bandy vs Bethancourt

Both are god awful with the bat, Bethancourt being even more god awfuler. At least Christian was a well regarded prospect at one point. I'd go with him just because I got sick of watching Bandy flail away last year.

Do they both have options? If Bethancourt keeps hitting in ST, I would just bring him up. I realize it's just ST, but if they're basically equal I would start with Bethancourt and see if he can stay hot for a month or two. Who knows you can get lucky and get a decent season out of him. I could sleep well at night never seeing another Susac or Bandy AB again.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Vogt and Sogard were bad decisions by Stearns. Could have had these guys for peanuts on contracts that were not guaranteed at all. After seeing how the market played out, this was just wasteful spending on guys they were comfortable with.

Vogt is on a non-guaranteed deal. I agree on Sogard though. But hindsight is 20-20.

Sogard is a giant overpay and I can't really figure out why they signed him immediately after the season ended. He's a replacement player, nickel a dozen.

Rosiak tweet:

Stephen Vogt is scheduled to see the doctor regarding his throwing shoulder later this morning. He said yesterday wasn’t a setback, per se. “I’m going in the right direction but I’m just not there yet.”

Maybe he gets back on the field healthy enough to be cut for performance based reasons...

Bandy vs Bethancourt

Both are god awful with the bat, Bethancourt being even more god awfuler. At least Christian was a well regarded prospect at one point. I'd go with him just because I got sick of watching Bandy flail away last year.

Do they both have options? If Bethancourt keeps hitting in ST, I would just bring him up. I realize it's just ST, but if they're basically equal I would start with Bethancourt and see if he can stay hot for a month or two. Who knows you can get lucky and get a decent season out of him. I could sleep well at night never seeing another Susac or Bandy AB again.

Bandy for sure doesn't. I would assume Bethancourt doesn't either but he's on a minor league deal and not the 40 man so I don't think that really matters.

Vogt gaming the system. My arm is injured still you can't cut me since I'm not performing on the field to be reason for you to do so. Suckers. 750k if MLB sees through me or 3mil while sitting on my butt.

Really don't think it's fair to Vogt to say he's gaming the system. If he's about to be cut and suddenly has a mysterious arm injury, sure. But that's not what happened here, he was going to make the opening day roster.

Archived