Brewer Fanatic

Vogt out 2-3 weeks with shoulder strain [Latest: Season Over, Career possibly over as well]

SeaBass

Reported by Tom Haudricourt and Adam McCalvy on Twitter.

Below are Haudricourt posts:

Brewers catcher Stephen Vogt has shoulder strain. Out 2-3 weeks.

CC said hard to say now how much camp will be left when Vogt can play again. Tough break for him.

_ _ _

Maybe this is a boon to those that want Lucroy signed.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can they use this as an excuse to start him out on the DL for an "extended spring training" session, extending the amount of time they get to decide on what to do with their three catchers?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Can they use this as an excuse to start him out on the DL for an "extended spring training" session, extending the amount of time they get to decide on what to do with their three catchers?

That would be a very "uber-Brewers" move. And I would say something like that is very likely.

We are a Manny Piña injury away from the catching position being a disaster. I suppose that is true of most team's starting catchers. If Jett Bandy was younger I'd suggest he convert to being a Pitcher.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That would be a very "uber-Brewers" move. And I would say something like that is very likely.

I think Vogt is on a major league contract so I believe the whole opening day deadline when his contract becomes guaranteed would remain. The way I read the 10 day DL requirements was that the player first had to be on the 25 man roster. I'm not positive how that all works with spring training but I have to believe he would be protected as being on a major league deal.

That's not saying they couldn't do as you suggest, just it would be a more difficult decision to cut him after opening day since they'd be on the hook for his entire salary.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I think Vogt is on a major league contract so I believe the whole opening day deadline when his contract becomes guaranteed would remain. The way I read the 10 day DL requirements was that the player first had to be on the 25 man roster. I'm not positive how that all works with spring training but I have to believe he would be protected as being on a major league deal.

That's not saying they couldn't do as you suggest, just it would be a more difficult decision to cut him after opening day since they'd be on the hook for his entire salary.

I wasn't sure of his contract, but the MLBtraderumors article confirms that the Brewers could cut him and only be on the hook for 30-45 days of termination pay (saving them close to $3M).

I personally think this money would be better spent on Cobb than on Vogt, so I'd go with Pina/Bandy and save money by letting Vogt go. Vogt had a pathetically bad throwing arm last year for the Brewers, and shoulder injuries don't make me believe that's going to get better.

They should be able to pick up another veteran sometime this spring that they can sign to a minor league deal and stash in AAA in case they need someone due to injury throughout the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They should be able to pick up another veteran sometime this spring that they can sign to a minor league deal and stash in AAA in case they need someone due to injury throughout the season.

I think that's exactly why Bethancourt was signed to a minor league deal. He certainly isn't going to set the world on fire offensively, but he is a solid all-around defender who is still young enough to theoretically be in his prime. Otherwise, there are always Susac-types out there that are either available via waivers or minor trades.

This is more of a long shot, but if the coverage is true and Nottingham has improved defensively, and starts swinging the bat better, he'd be another possibility. At least he has age on his side.

I think that's exactly why Bethancourt was signed to a minor league deal. He certainly isn't going to set the world on fire offensively, but he is a solid all-around defender who is still young enough to theoretically be in his prime. Otherwise, there are always Susac-types out there that are either available via waivers or minor trades.

This is more of a long shot, but if the coverage is true and Nottingham has improved defensively, and starts swinging the bat better, he'd be another possibility. At least he has age on his side.

I really doubt and hope they don't have Nottingham on the 25 only to have him play 2 games a week.

I really doubt and hope they don't have Nottingham on the 25 only to have him play 2 games a week.

I think he was saying that he could be an option to be called up sometime this season if one of our MLB guys gets hurt, not that he's an option to make the MLB club's opening day roster.

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think he was saying that he could be an option to be called up sometime this season if one of our MLB guys gets hurt, not that he's an option to make the MLB club's opening day roster.

Exactly. Nottingham is already on the 40-man, so his role automatically is "deep injury insurance".

What about Tyler Heineman? He's been a decent hitter in the minors including .281/.342/.407 last year at CS and his caught stealing percentages have been above 40% for his career. Plus he's a switch hitter. He's not technically a "non-roster" invitee but with Vogt down, it would make sense for him to see some action in camp wouldn't it? He was an 8th rounder out of UCLA, so it's not like he has no pedigree. Stearns had him in Houston system when he was there and liked him enough to acquire him. He's not yet 27 so is he any more of a long shot than Pina?

What about Tyler Heineman? He's been a decent hitter in the minors including .281/.342/.407 last year at CS and his caught stealing percentages have been above 40% for his career. Plus he's a switch hitter. He's not technically a "non-roster" invitee but with Vogt down, it would make sense for him to see some action in camp wouldn't it? He was an 8th rounder out of UCLA, so it's not like he has no pedigree. Stearns had him in Houston system when he was there and liked him enough to acquire him. He's not yet 27 so is he any more of a long shot than Pina?

I don't hate the idea. I just wish Heineman had any power at all. A lot of Vogt's WAR last year came from pinch hitting opportunities when the match up was great ... so the switch hitting thing is such a plus off the bench AND the arm is nice obviously.

Wish he could put the ball in the gap on occasion.

If Boston does keep Sandy Leon and Christian Vasquez, it would open up the door for Blake Swihart to be a possibility since he is out of options over in Boston. Swihart has started off mashing in spring training and has been working in the OF, 2B, and 1B as well as catcher so he could stick on their team as a super utility guy. But either way, he would be a great one for us to target as a backup catcher as well as be able to play multiple other positions.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update on Vogt:

Brewers catcher Stephen Vogt, initially projected to be out for two to three weeks with a shoulder issue, experienced a setback when attempting to throw on the field today, tweets MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel adds that Vogt is headed for an MRI to further evaluate the root of his shoulder discomfort.

As both McCalvy and Haudricourt point out, the timing of the move puts both Vogt and the Brewers in a difficult spot. The well-respected veteran entered camp as the favorite to join Manny Pina in comprising Milwaukee’s primary catching tandem, but his status is now up in the air. Moreover, Vogt is out of minor league options and is on a non-guaranteed arbitration contract. The Brewers could still cut him between now and Opening Day and only owe Vogt 45 days of termination pay — or $750K of his $3.05MM arbitration salary.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/stephen-vogt-setback-shoulder-brewers-jett-bandy-options-catcher.html

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Brewers should cut Vogt and save the $2M+. Even when healthy he's not good.

Agreed. Seemed like a forced moved to bring him back so fast in the offseason to begin with. I know its hindsight and monday morning quarterbacking but Avila would've been such a better addition and didn't cost a ton more on aav.

If the MRI reveals something that requires extended time away or even surgery, the Brewers have to cut him to save $ that can be put towards adding salary around the trade deadline. They could roll with what they have left in terms of healthy catchers, but there will likely be other veteran backstop options available at the end of spring training, too. This could be where a player like Broxton or Aguilar could be used to acquire a decent veteran catcher from a team not hellbent on contending this season.

Bethancourt's track record offensively is not good. He is still relatively young and usually, catchers are later to the game than the rest so you just never know.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived