Brewer Fanatic

Bullpen breakout star 2018: Williams, Houser, Lopez, or Peralta?

adambr2

Which potential reliever do you see as having the best chance to come in for our MLB pen and possibly make a big Hader-like impact in our pen as early as this season?

My vote would be for Williams. Among the best stuff in the system, upper 90s fastball, and we saw some of that last September.

By the way, I listed these 4 because they seem like the most obvious candidates, but feel free to list someone else if you've got a different one in mind.

If he can stay healthy (fingers crossed ) I'd go with Taylor Williams. Coming out of the bullpen you want to be throwing gas, and that's Taylor's MO. It's been a long road for him. Hope it all comes together this season. More inexpensive, cost controlled arms would be a thing of beauty!

I think you listed the top possibilities, though a Hader-like impact might be asking for too much. That debut was amazing.

I'd say Taylor has the best chance. His stuff is just nasty. Houser can really get it up there. Lopez and Peralta are probably more like solid long relievers.

Bickford and Ponce could get a callup and have a chance to be dominating. Both have to be added at year's end to protect them from Rule 5, so it is not out of the question they could get a callup this year if they dominate. Longer shots are Medieros and Pennington (also need to be protected). They both have nasty stuff but have not harnessed it yet. However, once they do, look out.

When you start looking at this, it is not surprising the Brewers have held off on long term pitching commitments. They have a ton of prospects that should be ready late this year or next. I have not even mentioned, Ortiz, Perrin, Supak, Derby... Best group of pitching prospects I have seen since the '80s.

I think you listed the top possibilities, though a Hader-like impact might be asking for too much. That debut was amazing.

I'd say Taylor has the best chance. His stuff is just nasty. Houser can really get it up there. Lopez and Peralta are probably more like solid long relievers.

Bickford and Ponce could get a callup and have a chance to be dominating. Both have to be added at year's end to protect them from Rule 5, so it is not out of the question they could get a callup this year if they dominate. Longer shots are Medieros and Pennington (also need to be protected). They both have nasty stuff but have not harnessed it yet. However, once they do, look out.

When you start looking at this, it is not surprising the Brewers have held off on long term pitching commitments. They have a ton of prospects that should be ready late this year or next. I have not even mentioned, Ortiz, Perrin, Supak, Derby... Best group of pitching prospects I have seen since the '80s.

Hader has the talent to be an elite reliever. I think it is a toss-up between Houser and Williams. Peralta is most likely for 2019, while Lopez could be a Turnbow type.

I have no faith in Lopez. Houser, I'd assume is still 3rd in the pecking order. Williams is 1st and I'm interested to watch barnes jeffress to see if they open the door for Peralta. I don't think he jumps in as a typical relief guy but I think he will be the most impactful from the jump.

Albers Barnes Jeffress have to watch their back. Theres 3 who could take their job in the next calendar year. It's a very deep system of pen arms. Will be interesting to see how we shuffle the pen or who we trade in the attempt to give these guys a shot to succeed and generate trade value.

Knebel Hader I'd struggle with trading but knebel likely only has 2 cheap years left. Barnes has 3-4. Jeffress Albers are where this shakes up because you can't ignore these young non starter arms and the trade value upside of another thorny is too great.

I want to turn and burn BP arms. 1 of these 4 needs to start the year in mke. The potential for barnes and williams to step up and push out albers needs to get sorted out soon. If Barnes Williams look strong Id have no issue flipping albers at the deadline to an AL team for a ticket and bring the next man up. Jeffress is not tradable.

This isn't a prediction but more a thought. If Medeiros was moved into a bullpen role I think he would have a chance to gain some steam with a little success. Kid throws 3 pitches but I don't think he would need to out of the pen. The control is an issue currently, so take your two best pitches and I would hope his k/9 ratio would make the jump above 1.

Still a kid though so I understand why they want to look at him as a starter for a while yet. That BB/9 rate is rough though.

Kodi still has 22-23-24 to keep building as a starter before the discussion should even be approached. He improved dramatically in the repeat of A+. I don't doubt he's a loogy... I think that's his future. It's nowhere close to pull the plug time on him yet.

We already have the 4 listed here, Derby, maybe Kirby, Dev and plenty more who are very unlikely to start, but have good pen stuff. I'm kerping everyone a starter as long as I possibly can. We are far deeper at near mlb ready pen pieces than near mlb ready starters.

Kodi still has 22-23-24 to keep building as a starter before the discussion should even be approached. He improved dramatically in the repeat of A+. I don't doubt he's a loogy... I think that's his future. It's nowhere close to pull the plug time on him yet.

We already have the 4 listed here, Derby, maybe Kirby, Dev and plenty more who are very unlikely to start, but have good pen stuff. I'm kerping everyone a starter as long as I possibly can. We are far deeper at near mlb ready pen pieces than near mlb ready starters.

I'd agree on that with Bubba Derby, who did a decent job in a dozen or so starts at Colorado Springs. I'd like to see what he could do stretched out and not doing that bullpen/rotation shuffle.

I'd also offer Davies an extension in the 6 year/$39-45 million range ($6/7 million a year for 2019-2021, $7/8 million for 2022-2024), maybe go up to 7 years/$48/$55 million ($6/7 million a year for 2019-2021, $7/8 million for 2022-2023, $8/9 million a year for 2024-2025).

If you can't get that kind of deal, flip Davies, bring up the next young gun.

Well even with nelson we currently dont have enough to replace davies. Anderson Nelson Davies Burnes Woodruff. Im not dealing out 3 years of control on Davies because that makes chacin a bridge to who?

If we added cobb 4 years then the numbers are in our favor to move arms as soon as Nelson and/or Burnes are ready. Wonder if Boras lets Davies sign a team friendly anything.

Isn't Kodi Rule 5 eligible after this season, or is it after 2019?

I guess my point is, we can't be patient and protect every talented player we have just in the hopes of them developing into our best case scenario.

I don't think Kodi would be limited to LOOGY status, maybe more of a power reliever like Hader, but if his future is in the pen, that's something we want to try to figure out before he becomes Rule 5 eligible, or we'll have a tough decision on our hands if he's still struggling as a starter.

I'm not aware but we have less talented options on the 40 man. You protect young lefties that are harnessing their control.

It's admittedly a big year for him.

Diplan Drake gallardo guerra webb wilkerson bandy/vogt

Jeffress sogard broxton

Thats 10 spots. By next year jimmy burnes are back/up. Rotation at 6 deep without gallardo guerra wilkerson. Diplan on the bubble big year for him, webb is depth, drake is toast. 1 of the 2 catchers makes 7 spots we can drop. Hurts AAA depth but keeps talent.

Sogard expires with dubon in the wings. Jeffress can be opted out and is battling barnes williams houser lopez for his spot. Broxton will be out of options and barring trades doesn't fit.

We got room for kodi.

I agree. An adjustment with Barnes and you may have something real special there. He's shown flashes of just filthiness but has lacked that consistency so far. Hopefully DJ gets him all fixed up for 2018. Other than that, the lead horse in that race has to be Williams. He will be a fun one to track this season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not one of the options, but I'll predict Guerra as the bullpens breakout star. With his fastball back, he has the perfect stuff for short relief. While he's not young, he has years of control left, making him super valuable as the 8th inning guy going forward.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Houser is the guy. Seems like our next 7th inning arm.

I agree on Kodi. He clearly is a bullpen piece. I had hopes he would be a Billy Wagner with his delivery but so far the Brewers are stubbornly trying to make him a starter.

It's 2018. The Bullpen isn't a demotion, it's about putting your most electric arms in high leverage situations.

That’s a lot of options with upside. I think we are going to have top notch bullpens for as far as the eye can see. Enough of these guys will pop such that this should be a strength of the team.

In a year or two, could I interest you in

Knebel

Hader

Barnes

Williams

Houser

Kodi

Derby

I go Williams and I don't think it is particularly close. The guy was getting Billy Wagner comps before the arm injury and he seems to be back. I honestly thing he is the best kept secret in the organization. I like Houser but I think he is a step or two down from Williams and I actually like Lopez as a reliever more than most do. Peralta has the worst stuff of that group.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

That’s a lot of options with upside. I think we are going to have top notch bullpens for as far as the eye can see. Enough of these guys will pop such that this should be a strength of the team.

In a year or two, could I interest you in

Knebel

Hader

Barnes

Williams

Houser

Kodi

Derby

You absolutely could... but the question is do we make a move to go all in. If we dont knebels sale price peaks at this deadline if he's rolling another sub 3 era season. Asset mgmt would say you deal him before his arby 2-3.

My assumed slate 2 years out is:

Hader Williams Barnes Houser Peralta Kirby derby suter

Albers traded out, knebel traded out, jeffress opted out

Lopez DevWill and Kodi in the mix.

Nelson Anderson FA Burnes Woodruff

Ortiz Ponce Brown Webb in the mix.

Davies traded out. Chacin gone via FA

Small market, you have to trade pieces a tick earlier than you want to stay ahead of the curve.

Isn't Kodi Rule 5 eligible after this season, or is it after 2019?

I guess my point is, we can't be patient and protect every talented player we have just in the hopes of them developing into our best case scenario.

I don't think Kodi would be limited to LOOGY status, maybe more of a power reliever like Hader, but if his future is in the pen, that's something we want to try to figure out before he becomes Rule 5 eligible, or we'll have a tough decision on our hands if he's still struggling as a starter.

I have to agree. He just isn't going to cut it as a starter.

If the Rule V was not a consideration, I'd try that, but there are only so many spots on the 40-man, and there are some guys closer to the majors (Derby, Ventura, Perrin, Ponce, Ortiz, Burnes) who could be viable options.

Shift him to the pen, get another Hader.

Derby Ventura Perrin aren't trending towards being an mlb starter.

Burnes plays no part in this... hes already a needed top 5 as is.

Kodi is in the ponce ortiz group for sure but pen isnt an issue and its very likely kirby is in that pen group as well. The main reason I keep kodi starting is that Kirby off 2 elbows could jump him for the loogy role. He's 24 not 22.

Every milb call up isn't another hader. Not one of peralta williams houser barnes lopez derby etc are hader.

I think Williams & Peralta could easily be as electric & dominant as Hader. Power arms with nasty off speed that can really excel out of pen. Both are late inning types if they stay in pen.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Boy didn't take long for Hader to get under rated. FPeraltas been a monster in Biloxi but hasn't touched what hader did there.

I'm extremely excited for peralta hader in the pen... but hader is another level. We have a crazy list of pen options with legitimate mlb stuff working up the ranks... but Hader is better than them all.

I don't mind having albers jeffress logan but I hope all this talent in the system gets a shot instead of 3 mil value adds.

I feel like every couple years we all think that there are suddenly going to be too many young power bullpen arm options for the Brewers - in the past I think much of it was wishful thinking for mid-20's arms who couldn't cut it as starters and were running out of minor league organization control. At least now the group that's getting our hopes up are a combination of young & talented enough or talented enough but injury-marred, with Hader leading the group.

My hope is that Hader doesn't have overly high expectations put on him - he was electric last season for sure, but most of his appearances came against hitters who saw him the first time...I feel like he'll have some struggles at times this year, but he'll still be a huge plus in the pen. We can't as fans expect him to be Andrew Miller based on only 3 months of MLB level dominance - especially when he was really protected roughly the 1st half of that stretch.

Derby Ventura Perrin aren't trending towards being an mlb starter.

Burnes plays no part in this... hes already a needed top 5 as is.

Kodi is in the ponce ortiz group for sure but pen isnt an issue and its very likely kirby is in that pen group as well. The main reason I keep kodi starting is that Kirby off 2 elbows could jump him for the loogy role. He's 24 not 22.

Every milb call up isn't another hader. Not one of peralta williams houser barnes lopez derby etc are hader.

I liked the Kirby pick at the time and am curious to see how he turns out in a starter role. His story is similar to Walker Buehler. Both were considered top five type of talents and fell due to injury concerns. I’d say it’s a long shot that Kirby builds back up to a Buehler level (elite prospect) but he may still end up an effective starter. We just have to see.

I take your point about his age, but when you’re a college guy who ends up with TJ and lose two years, it’s inevitable that you’re going to be older by the time you get to the show. It’s not like he’s scuffled and gotten older. He may make it by 26, if he regains his form. He’s on my very short list of intriguing guys for this year. Maybe he shows himself to be a reliever. But, just maybe, he thrives as a starter and his original top 5 pick talent shines through. He’s an unknown to me.

Archived