Brewer Fanatic

Current Free Agents

Milwaukee should roll the dice and throw out a few low ball offers with big bonuses. I am sure it will anger the players association but so be it. If you want to get paid, earn it.

Arietta- Two years, 40 million. Mutual option after year one. 1 million for 150 IP, 2 million for 175 IP and a 3 million dollar bonus for 200 IP.

Lynn- Two years, 20 million. Player option after year one. 3 million dollar bonus for 200 IP. 3 million for an All Star appearance.

Cobb- Three years, 36 million. Player option after year one. 1 million dollar bonus for 175 IP. 3 million for the All Star team.

Holland- One year, 10 million. Bonuses for saves and holds.

Walker- One year, 6 million. Bonuses for games started and an All Star appearance.

Lucroy- Two years, 12 million. Team option after year one. Bonuses for games started and All Star appearance.

Milwaukee should roll the dice and throw out a few low ball offers with big bonuses. I am sure it will anger the players association but so be it. If you want to get paid, earn it.

Arietta- Two years, 40 million. Mutual option after year one. 1 million for 150 IP, 2 million for 175 IP and a 3 million dollar bonus for 200 IP.

Lynn- Two years, 20 million. Player option after year one. 3 million dollar bonus for 200 IP. 3 million for an All Star appearance.

Cobb- Three years, 36 million. Player option after year one. 1 million dollar bonus for 175 IP. 3 million for the All Star team.

Walker- One year, 6 million. Bonuses for games started and an All Star appearance.

Lucroy- Two years, 12 million. Team option after year one. Bonuses for games started and All Star appearance.

I think every single player you listed except maybe lucroy will get far more than you noted.

Not even close to the incentives that it would take for the starting pitchers.

Holland isn't going to take a deal that includes saves incentive when we have Knebel.

Not interested in spending money on 2B or C until we have figured out what we are doing with starting pitching.

I don't know if Walker ever gets that low. If he does.... Ignoring Villar for the moment - Perez and Sogard are better than Walker on defense, right? I think you platoon Perez and Sogard and their defense makes up for the offense that Walker gives you.

Not even close to the incentives that it would take for the starting pitchers. Holland isn't going to take a deal that includes saves incentive when we have Knebel. Not interested in spending money on 2B or C until we have figured out what we are doing with starting pitching.

If the FO has made the determination that the starting pitching market just isn't something they want to play in, then why not? Improve your weaknesses by improving your strengths. A rising tide raises all ships, right?

Add a high end arm to the pen and make it elite. Add a catcher and 2B and make the offense elite. Maybe those are good defenders too and you have an elite defense. You could probably do all of those things and expend less capital than what is being talked about with starting pitchers.

I think to truly contend, something on your team has to be elite. I just think the Brewers have walked right up to that line but fall short of elite in every category.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If we wanted to go "low" contracts with incentives, I would think it's something like:

Arrietta - Two years, 60 million, Opt-out after year one, team options for $15 million in 2020 & 2021, year 3 & 4 vest with 380IP in 2017/2018 & escalate by $5 million a year.

Lynn - I got nothing, can't think of a good contract that makes both sides happy.

Cobb - 2 Year, 40 million, year 3 & 4 vesting years @ 20 Million with 180IP in previous year, else team options for year 3 & 4 @ 15 million

Holland - One year 15 Million, mutual option for year 2 @ 15 millon, vests if >40 saves or >60 saves & holds. Maybe 3rd year team options @ 15 million?

Walker - One year, 6 million. 2nd year @ 12 million vest if starts >140 games. Maybe 3rd year team options @ 10 million?

Lucroy - One year, 6 million. 2nd year @ 12 million vest if starts >120 games. Maybe 3rd year team options @ 10 million?

To make these works, the players need to be able to earn the extra years which could get them the contracts they originally wanted otherwise they head back to FA.

honestly the remaining free agents aren't going to want their option year to be next offseason, when better players at their positions will be the focus of the mountains of $ big market teams will be throwing around. For the remaining "big 3" starters still on the market, I can see where they may want an opt out after year 2 of a 4-5 year deal for a chance at one more big payday in their early 30's. If the Brewers can get Arrieta to accept a 5yr $110-115Million deal that's $25M per season the 1st two years with a player option after year 2, I think it'd make good sense for both sides.

A player like Walker needs his last payday this offseason, so he's simply going to go for the highest overall contract value. If the Brewers try to sign him, I'd rather it be like a 3-yr deal for a bit less annual cost but more $ overall. Walker seems like his skills would transition well to a platoon/pH role as he ages.

And leave catcher as is on this roster for now.

I like the idea but like others have said I think it will take a bit more. I have been an advocate for a long time on more utilization of performance based bonuses because it really ties to how a player performs.

If you want to go a complex route:

Arietta 5 yr $110M (25m, 25m,20m,20m,20) contract with $1M for each additional 20 innings he pitches starting at 180 for each year as well as $2m for winning a cy young in a given year with an opt out after year 2 and 3

Cobb 3yr 45m with a vesting 4th yr based on innings pitched. Escalators much like Arietta's as well as the same opt out after yr 2

Lynn would be much the same as Cobb.

Walker 2 yr $20m with a 3rd yr vesting based on plate appearances with additional incentives based on pa.

Holland 2yr $20M with a 3rd vesting year and incentives based around holds and closes.

The all star appearance bonus would be a tough sell because the players are going to have a tough time on a small market team getting there. This isn't the cubs and the Yankees where their fans push through as many of their boys as they can regardless of what is earned. I would like to see more performance based incentives or bonuses based around WAR, WHIP, FIP etc but I don't think the union would allow it. it could also make it difficult from a team standpoint to manage budget if you have too many possible bonus possibilities out there.

I think of my suggestions we may have a chance at the 3 starters. I don't think Holland is a possibility. he will end up with more guaranteed somewhere. Walker is definitely possible depending on who of the 3 SPs we end up with- if Arietta goes for us I think we are done if it is Cobb or Lynn I think we may look to add Walker too.

Which poses an interesting option would you rather have Arietta and run with Villar/Sogard 2b or go with Cobb or Lynn with Walker as your primary 2b?

I also am not keen on trying to add Lucroy. I was one of his biggest fans when he was here but adding him at this stage seems like it would be only for nostalgia. It sure seems like he has lost an awful lot of what made him so special when he was here with us.

One poster mentioned that the Brewers had offered Walker 2/$20M, I hope he accepts that offer soon.

That 2/20 was last year before the season ended. Walker and Lucroy aren’t going to get numbers close to what’s being thrown around on here IMHO.

Some players have already signed discounted deals, the ones who don’t cave will be waiting for the phone to ring. A lot of players are getting bad advice from their agents.

I had an exchange on Twitter about a month ago with Josh Kusnick and he really had zero clue or feel for this market, all he did is cried collusion because agents/players are/were getting desperate. He has since blocked me on Twitter which I take as a compliment.

I may be wrong but Walker is probably closer to the 2/$10 range than he is the 2/$20 range.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

These incentive offers are always what fans want, but why would a player take a deal like that when they'll eventually get a deal where they're guaranteed that much? Only way I see incentives working is if big market team offers "x" and the Brewers offer the exact same deal PLUS incentives.

Why would we want to pay a pitcher that hasn't pitched like an ace $35 million a year? And for two years? I just don't get that thinking. Do we need help on our staff? Yes. But I just don't think this is a great way to go about it. Adding $35M really leaves you no flexibility when July comes and we need to add to our team for the late season push and playoffs.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

With regard to Arrieta, it almost feels like the Brewers could be competing against themselves to sign him unless the Nationals want to get nuts. Boras has been hunting for a big market or crazy owner club to at least kick the tires on him and drive up his price, but Ilitch isn't alive anymore to give him his annual outlandish asking price for his top FA pitcher. No way is Arrieta the type of pitcher for any team to offer a short term deal worth more than his annual value, and if I'm him I'd refuse to sign it anyway. What if he blows up in year 1 of a 2yr deal and gets injured? Yeah, he gets say 60 million over a 2 year deal, but then likely nothing or a series of small 1 year deals thereafter - pushing to sign a 5 year deal for less dollars per year ($110-$130 Mil range) and greater overall value is the better option for this stage of his career, particularly if he can get a deal that includes a player opt-out clause early enough in the deal if the market will bear one last big payday for him if he reverts back anywhere near 2015-2016 Jake.

Clubs looking to skirt luxury tax penalties and retain draft choices are hampering his market, along with his initial contract demands due more to "prestige" than a prolonged body of work...I keep thinking of the movie StepBrothers..."Prestige Worldwide!"

Because the only other way to get him is to give him, at absolute minimum, four years. Id rather take the chance that he’ll pitch well enough this year and next for us, at which point we’ll know what we have in Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta and Ortiz, then to give him less per year but hope he doesn’t take an absolute dump towards the end of his contract. If the major concern is that his best days are last him why would we want to give him 4-6 years? Pay him more for two years and if he sucks, yeah you’re out a little more money per year but much less overall.

Before I see another bad cobb offer something to point out. Before Chatwood chicago offered him 42/3. 45/3 isnt cutting it. I think if you stay 3 you can expect 54/3. 60/4 seems dead on if not a touch low.

I think Walker still gets close to 16/2. If we don't add cobb in the 60/4 range and dont add walker at something sub 10 and another team does I'll be ticked. Arm but no walker good. No arm but get walker ok. Neither, their offers better be expensive.

Before I see another bad cobb offer something to point out. Before Chatwood chicago offered him 42/3. 45/3 isnt cutting it. I think if you stay 3 you can expect 54/3. 60/4 seems dead on if not a touch low.

I think Walker still gets close to 16/2. If we don't add cobb in the 60/4 range and dont add walker at something sub 10 and another team does I'll be ticked. Arm but no walker good. No arm but get walker ok. Neither, their offers better be expensive.

That was over three months ago and I'm sure the Cubs offer is not on the table anymore. Holland was offered the same deal Davis got from Colorado and I'd be shocked if Holland can get anywhere close to that now. Cobb may have to settle for a smaller deal with an opt-out or just overall less money. I actually think he will get under the 15M/year but 4 years. Something like 4 year / 56 Million with an opt-out after 2 years.

That was over three months ago and I'm sure the Cubs offer is not on the table anymore. Holland was offered the same deal Davis got from Colorado and I'd be shocked if Holland can get anywhere close to that now. Cobb may have to settle for a smaller deal with an opt-out or just overall less money. I actually think he will get under the 15M/year but 4 years. Something like 4 year / 56 Million with an opt-out after 2 years.

Chatwoods not big 4 correct? I don't think the cubs lowballing him early and moving on to a 2nd guy they could actually afford hurts his market 1 bit. Holland got greedy, 17 mil per 3 years was gigantic for a reliever. 14 aav for cobb was a low ball offer.

If there ever was an offseason the Brewers could go for it without mortgaging the future it is now. Regardless of what has been said by Stearns or the Brewers FO, if the Brewers were able to sign Walker and Lucroy to a 1 or 2 year deals with incentives to lengthen the lineup it makes all the sense in the world. There is no 2B or C prospect that is having time taken away or development impeded by the presence of Walker and Lucroy for a year or two. A lineup consisting of these players adds significant length and is a championship level lineup, and the bench of (Thames, Pina, Villar, Perez, Broxton/Phillips) is quite good as well.

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Walker

Lucroy

Arcia

Going a step further and adding the rotational piece can also be included if the contract is manipulated to add $ at the back end of the contract. Say Cobb at 4 years and $60 million, you give him $10 in 2018 and $15 in 2019 and $20 in 2020 once Lucroy and Walker are off the books.

It just seems there is some really low hanging fruit out there still that can make the 2018 Brewers significantly better.

Archived