Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez to Rays

Smart move. They will take this risk and hope he can bust out again and reap the benefits by trading him in July when a team needs an OF.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think Domingo was ever going to the Rays after the moves they've been making. Then again, the moves Tampa is making seem to have no gameplan or thought process. It's almost like they wrote down 100 potential moves, threw them all in a hat, and started drawing randomly.

They're probably thinking the same thing about our moves.

Wow, that's a bargain for the Rays.

I thought the same thing. The got a guy who could produce solid numbers for them and someone who they could trade at the deadline. Solid move.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Smart move. They will take this risk and hope he can bust out again and reap the benefits by trading him in July when a team needs an OF.

27-28 level bust out?

29-30 were bad

31 was actually his good year since his prime.

He can easily go down from last years totals. He's 3 years removed from being impactful. He's had some broxton to him 2 of the last 3 years. I don't realky think that's a sales pitch.

27-28 level bust out?

29-30 were bad

He can easily go down from last years totals. He's 3 years removed from being impactful. He's had some broxton to him 2 of the last 3 years. I don't realky think that's a sales pitch.

I generally don't think a team will get much for Gomez at the deadline, but for different reasons than you. A hot hitter at the deadline will be a target for teams. If a guy is hot, teams aren't going to say "well he was bad when he was 30" when they are renting a guy for 2 months. What he did 2 years ago is 100% irrelevant.

The reason he won't get much is because of how teams are valuing rentals. Swarzak got a middling prospect. Look at all it took to get JD Martinez at the deadline. Gomez will get a fraction of what Martinez got. Best case scenario is probably getting someone like 21 year old Dubon, which isn't a terrible return but it doesn't really move the needle for a team. I think rentals have dropped enough in value that a team can't even get a Parra type return of Davies(What an outstanding return that turned out to be).

27-28 level bust out?

29-30 were bad

I generally don't think a team will get much for Gomez at the deadline, but for different reasons than you. A hot hitter at the deadline will be a target for teams. If a guy is hot, teams aren't going to say "well he was bad when he was 30" when they are renting a guy for 2 months. What he did 2 years ago is 100% irrelevant.

The reason he won't get much is because of how teams are valuing rentals. Swarzak got a middling prospect. Look at all it took to get JD Martinez at the deadline. Gomez will get a fraction of what Martinez got. Best case scenario is probably getting someone like 21 year old Dubon, which isn't a terrible return but it doesn't really move the needle for a team. I think rentals have dropped enough in value that a team can't even get a Parra type return of Davies(What an outstanding return that turned out to be).

Not disagreeing with either of you it’s just a calculated move to hope you get production and a possible Dubon player out of it. May not be a kings ransom but could pay off for a rebuilding team.

Archived