Brewer Fanatic

Three team deal: Yankees get Drury, Souza to Diamondbacks, Solak, Banda to Rays

brewerhuman

Souza is a few million cheaper, has an extra year of control & has graded out as a plus defensive RF where Dickerson is more of a DH/meh defensive LF. Both guys tanked hard in the 2nd half too, for whatever that is or isn't worth.

I think with how much value teams seem to be placing on defense that the closer a guy gets to that point of no return on the negative end of the spectrum, it really starts to hinder their value/potential market & Dickerson's bat isn't enough to overcome that.

The increased value placed on defense this offseason has been incredibly noticable. Except for Hosmer and Jd of course.

Kinda praying for that NL DH thing to be next year because Santana's value would jump! I don't quite get why so many AL teams have bad DHs AND guys like JD get paid while Santanas value stays cold. In the AL I'd be looking at Santana thinking I can buy him as the whole player then bench his defense and come out pretty nice.

The increased value placed on defense this offseason has been incredibly noticable. Except for Hosmer and Jd of course.

Kinda praying for that NL DH thing to be next year because Santana's value would jump! I don't quite get why so many AL teams have bad DHs AND guys like JD get paid while Santanas value stays cold. In the AL I'd be looking at Santana thinking I can buy him as the whole player then bench his defense and come out pretty nice.

Lorenzo Cain says Hi. For his Defensive positives, he certainly didn't get nabbed up early in FA.

There just has to be something more behind Dickerson being shuttled from.

To me, this looks like a bunch of junk changing hands.

Drury is mediocre, Souza is Chris Carter in the outfield, Solak, bleh.

Banda was awful in 2017 and maybe turns into a #4 starter or reliever.

If these guys are junk, I'm curious what your definition of even a decent player is. Maybe you'd consider Kershaw to be decent?

Drury is a young, cost controlled 2b/3b that's put up a couple very solid years. Specifically note that he's young, and can still improve. Being young and cheap might help the yankees add elsewhere if they want, or maintain flexibility. Don't underestimate young/cheap with solid production. Banda was a top prospect that had a down year, he's still young and his stuff is still there. Souza I'm less sold on, but he's a cost controlled power bat and a better defender in RF than Santana. He also stole 16 bases last year, so he at the very least has some sneaky speed. I don't know anything about the lower tier prospects, but those 3 pieces all have significant value.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Souza should improve outside of Tampa - and in Arizona, he could be a 35-40 HR guy. Yes, he's going to strike out 180 times, but he should be able to improve his power and batting average by going from one of the worst places to hit to one of the best. And while the guy isn't a great defender, he's adequate at this stage of his career - certainly better than Yasmany Tomas.

I think he will produce similar to Domingo Santana - but with better defense.

Souza should improve outside of Tampa - and in Arizona, he could be a 35-40 HR guy. Yes, he's going to strike out 180 times, but he should be able to improve his power and batting average by going from one of the worst places to hit to one of the best. And while the guy isn't a great defender, he's adequate at this stage of his career - certainly better than Yasmany Tomas.

Well, what do we think about the humidor being installed in Arizona, though?

If these guys are junk, I'm curious what your definition of even a decent player is. Maybe you'd consider Kershaw to be decent?

Drury is a young, cost controlled 2b/3b that's put up a couple very solid years. Specifically note that he's young, and can still improve. Being young and cheap might help the yankees add elsewhere if they want, or maintain flexibility. Don't underestimate young/cheap with solid production. Banda was a top prospect that had a down year, he's still young and his stuff is still there. Souza I'm less sold on, but he's a cost controlled power bat and a better defender in RF than Santana. He also stole 16 bases last year, so he at the very least has some sneaky speed. I don't know anything about the lower tier prospects, but those 3 pieces all have significant value.

Drury has put up 1.4 war in his 2 years. That's solid production? We cut a guy who was doing better at the same age because he didn't progress over the next 2 years. Perez has out produced him over the same span by 1.7 war.

When you look at it and think a combo or sogard perez could outperform this guy... cheap doesn't do it for me. He's just stuff.

Drury has put up 1.4 war in his 2 years. That's solid production? We cut a guy who was doing better at the same age because he didn't progress over the next 2 years. Perez has out produced him over the same span by 1.7 war.

When you look at it and think a combo or sogard perez could outperform this guy... cheap doesn't do it for me. He's just stuff.

I agree 100% with TJSeven7.

I think Hernan Perez sucks, and I believe Perez is better than Drury. So glad the Brewers didnt send Santana to AZ for a package centered on Drury and Banda.

P.S. Banda was once a nice prospect. But he was TERRIBLE last year. It was more than a down year. He was really really bad.

Perez wasn’t better during the course of his minor league career and Drury has had way better line to his mlb career. When I look at Perez’s stats I wonder how guys like him and Sogard make our roster.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well, what do we think about the humidor being installed in Arizona, though?

Forgot about that. Well, it probably won't be worse than Tampa.

Perez wasn’t better during the course of his minor league career and Drury has had way better line to his mlb career. When I look at Perez’s stats I wonder how guys like him and Sogard make our roster.

True but the path of scooter was very similar and he didn't show up until 27. Jed Lowrie looks very similar path wise as well. He's had 3 good seasons... 28 29 33. Drury hits more hr than those 2 but his path and milb stats prove nothing going forward. He's 900 ab in and so far he's a guy.

I dont feel compelled to trade for a guy who's producing worse than 2 guys you dont feel belong on the roster and a guy we canned last year.

True but the path of scooter was very similar and he didn't show up until 27. Jed Lowrie looks very similar path wise as well. He's had 3 good seasons... 28 29 33. Drury hits more hr than those 2 but his path and milb stats prove nothing going forward. He's 900 ab in and so far he's a guy.

I dont feel compelled to trade for a guy who's producing worse than 2 guys you dont feel belong on the roster and a guy we canned last year.

I’d take a shot on him over an old Sogard (who I think was a flat out fluke for a month last season) and/or a no OBP Perez. Villar is the one in which who knows right now but Drury had better minor league numbers to his as well. The Scooter mentions I don’t get as Scooter had a nice season early on in his young career and then trended down the next two seasons and was well below replacement level. He’s had a great rebound but we will see how consistent that is coming soon. Drury will be 25 and cheap this year and had a pretty good season last year, similar to his minor league years. Wouldn’t surprise me to see an OPS near .775-.800 for him with some good counting numbers considering the lineup that he’s entering.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Everyone thinks sogard streak was a fluke.

Careers for sogard perez platoon is a whole 10 ba and 20 obp points behind drury.

So you'd take a shot. Ok. This is not taking a shot on him... its trading assets for him. That's the problem. If he was in our system sure fine take a shot. If he was discarded by a team sure a shot. Assets out for him, no pointless. I'd take a shot on dubon who likely 0 wars offense. I'd take a shot again on villar who despite a horrid 2017 still beats drurys value in the last 2 years by a mile. Drury's defense also needed to rebound last year to save face but it was real real bad his first year. He's -.5 dwar per year.

Why scooter talk... because as you stated after his first 200 ab he declined... to numbers very similar to drury and we cut him. Now trade assets for a guy who's doing no better than he did? Makes zero sense.

Archived