Brewer Fanatic

Three team deal: Yankees get Drury, Souza to Diamondbacks, Solak, Banda to Rays

brewerhuman

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anthony Banda also going to Tampa.

Details here: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/yankees-rays-dbacks-trade-brandon-drury-steven-souza.html

The move probably takes Arizona off the table for any Brewers OFs as they now have Souza, Dyson, Pollack, Peralta and Tomas.

Could mean Tampa is moving Archer. Just a thought.

Yeah solak banda for souza who due to defense rivaled Santana's 2017, 1 less year of control, 4 years older.

I'm guessing I wouldn't have liked AZs offer for Santana. Even without nyy. Drury Banda weidman... no thank you.

Let's say u add Corbin to that and I'm still probably saying no.

Yeah solak banda for souza who due to defense rivaled Santana's 2017, 1 less year of control, 4 years older.

I'm guessing I wouldn't have liked AZs offer for Santana. Even without nyy. Drury Banda weidman... no thank you.

Correct, pavin or duplanteir was required for me. Corbin I dont see as being worth more than a diplan kodi or ponce ticket.

Yeah I feel like this trade is all sorts of bad for the brewers. Takes away a landing spot for our OF, and creates a landing spot for walker that isn't Milwaukee.

On a side, it's also bad for my dynasty fantasy baseball team as I was hoping moose would become a Yankee.

I'm not seeing the extra landing spot for Walker. Didn't this trade basically take the Yankees off the market for him? As for the OF landing spot, it opens up a spot on the Rays assuming they have any interest in Santana.

I'm not seeing the extra landing spot for Walker. Didn't this trade basically take the Yankees off the market for him? As for the OF landing spot, it opens up a spot on the Rays assuming they have any interest in Santana.

Wouldn't Phillps be more to TBs liking? I really think Santana stays now.

Also, Neil Walker is a real possibility for us.

Yeah I feel like this trade is all sorts of bad for the brewers. Takes away a landing spot for our OF, and creates a landing spot for walker that isn't Milwaukee.

On a side, it's also bad for my dynasty fantasy baseball team as I was hoping moose would become a Yankee.

Well the diamondbacks lost their 2b. I get they have Owings but that opens a spot for walker there. And a team rebuilding like the rays wouldn't want Santana. Philips maybe, not Santana.

Guys, are we sure that Joel Sherman got it right - Widener to the Yanks from Arizona as part of the deal??

I went looking for states on the pitcher going to NY & all I found was a guy that was already in the NYY organization (in High A Tampa) last season.

Before posting this I double checked the pitching stats for all 3 minor league groups - Arizona, Tampa & the Yanks...

Correct, pavin or duplanteir was required for me. Corbin I dont see as being worth more than a diplan kodi or ponce ticket.

So and so saying Drury almost came here? What kinda bullet did we dodge there?

As posted on mlb.com

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-rays-d-backs-swing-three-way-deal/c-266808336

The Rays acquired Yankees No. 8 prospect Nick Solak and D-backs No. 4 prospect Anthony Banda. Tampa Bay will also receive two players to be named later from Arizona.

D-backs get:

Steven Souza Jr. (from TB)

Taylor Widener (Yankees' No. 14 prospect)

Yankees get:

Brandon Drury (from ARI)

Rays get:

Anthony Banda (D-backs' No. 4 prospect)

Nick Solak (Yankees' No. 8 prospect)

Two players to be named later (from ARI)

I'm liking this deal more & more for Tampa & Arizona...

If someone were to argue that Souza and Santana represent an "apples to oranges" comparison, that's not something that I would argue because Santana is younger, has one more year of cheap control and Souza's 2017 does look like it could have been an outlier. That being said, Souza was a 3.95 WAR player last year and it looks like projections put him at a 1.9 WAR player this coming season. Santana was a 3.15 WAR player last year and projections put him at about 1.8 WAR next year. Can't say I was blown away by the return(*) for Souza and if the offers for Santana are only slightly higher then I think it's a complete no-brainer decision to keep him.

(*) = assuming the players to be named later are fringe prospects

And another pathetic move by the Rays IMO. Souza is only scheduled to make 3.55 million this year. Have to believe Colome is on the market and can be had for a pretty reasonable price. Still would think they would demand a premium for Archer.

Im with you on this. Similar or not the impact is fairly equal in reality and projections due to santanas D. If the value of Santana is a little higher than that I'd keep him.

I hate that it buries mavrick, but I'm just not comfortable with C 2b and ss. I'm also not comfortable with lhp vs aguilar perez broxton. Braun didnt kill lhp like usual and if Aguilar were to fade we'd be pretty weak vs lhp without santana. Especially with the question marks at c 2b and ss.

He can be a useful and high quality bridge to (hopefully) Huira and Lutz at this point. His purpose and ability to anchor the top 5 (especially vs lhp) is more valuable than his asset value.

Archived