Brewer Fanatic

Thames - what can we expect?

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In 2017 he was Superman in Mar/April, horrible from May - August, and then pretty much Superman again in September. I was actually surprised just how good he was in Sept. when I looked back at the numbers. He didn't hit for as much power as April but he hit the ball harder on average.

Now, I'm guessing he probably faced more righties in Sept and sat against lefties (didn't have time to look it up) but even so, where do we think his numbers in a semi-platoon at 1B will look like this year?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

In 2017 he was Superman in Mar/April, horrible from May - August, and then pretty much Superman again in September. I was actually surprised just how good he was in Sept. when I looked back at the numbers. He didn't hit for as much power as April but he hit the ball harder on average.

Now, I'm guessing he probably faced more righties in Sept and sat against lefties (didn't have time to look it up) but even so, where do we think his numbers in a semi-platoon at 1B will look like this year?

I am getting used to the idea of Thames starting 80 games (if everyone stays healthy and produces), and those games against righties. Pinchhitting the other games.

I would guess a .260/.360/.870 line under that scenario.

Thames put up a .933 OPS against righties last year. .265/.382/.551

I think some people actually swung way too far on the negative perception of him because of the brutal stretch he went in mid season... IF the Braun thing works out in the infield, a Braun/Thames platoon at 1B with Braun taking additional starts in the outfield to stay in the lineup would be a very good thing for the offense I think.

Sample is too small to even know if the LH/RH splits are real. Just watching his ABs, I would say they probably are, but that's still somewhat of an unknown. As a coach once said " a LH hitter can't hit LH pitching until he does."

So Thames could improve there, just as he could fall off and not hit much at all. He is a hard one to figure out. But the bat plays, so he will be in the same boat as Villar and others. Produce, and he'll get more starts.

I think he's being underrated. He looked good at points in the season (including the opening months) in a way that is different from just an AAAA guy having a hot streak. I think he is fully capable of mashing against MLB pitching, and whatever was dragging him down for most of the middle of the season (whether mental or physical) is the aberration or the thing that can be adjusted against.

He's not Barry Bonds as he temporarily looked like, but I think he could improve upon the overall season line he had last year.

I'm much more worried about Jesus Aguilar being a flash in the pan. It would help to know what the playing time situation is even going to be, is Braun really going to split time at 1B? (He should basically be the full-time 1B with Thames as a bench bat is we're keeping Santana. Why sit any of Yelich-Cain-Santana-Braun?)

Keep in mind that Thames was frequently battling leg injuries last year. If we can get 100-120 good games out of him, I'd be happy.

As the roster stands today, he's not getting 100-120 starts. If by "games" you mean PH opportunities sure. Just keeping him out of the OF completely should help his wheels.

Playing mainly against righties, and the extra rest that per default brings with it, will see him have a good season. Not April 2017-good, but I think his overall numbers will be relatively similar. If he plays almost exclusively against RHP, they'll be better.

Keep in mind that Thames was frequently battling leg injuries last year. If we can get 100-120 good games out of him, I'd be happy.

As the roster stands today, he's not getting 100-120 starts. If by "games" you mean PH opportunities sure. Just keeping him out of the OF completely should help his wheels.

Unfortunately it didn't help him last year. He needed to play about 4 days a week at various points battling leg issues by late April

Unfortunately it didn't help him last year. He needed to play about 4 days a week at various points battling leg issues by late April

Hmmm Braun gets knicked up easy. Thames gets knicked up easy. Thames kills rhp, braun traditionally kills lhp. Neither are young. Braun can play passable defense in LF. Our 3 OF starters sit about 35 games. 115 and 82+ dh ph.

It just makes sense. I wonder if they'd consider it.

I'm in the camp of these two well managed and healthy will have a bigger impact than these two playing as much as possible. Not just this year... but next... and next. We sit soo pretty.

I think Thames ends up lucky to start 70games without significant Braun injury. If we roll with Braun at 1st base, hes 100games started there easily.

I cant take a Healthy Braun and sit him 30+ games. I think games where the RH starter carries a great Slider Thames jumps Braun on those starts. I have my doubts if Braun becomes the 1b on him sharing time in the OF as its thrown on here. Pencil in Yelich 154 games. Santana&Cain in the 150 range. Phillips the rest. Braun only comes in if either of those 3are out and facing a Lefty you hide Phillips from.

Thames youre paid so dont complain when you start less than 70games. Youll pinch hit/be a defensive replacement constantly.

I think Thames ends up lucky to start 70games without significant Braun injury. If we roll with Braun at 1st base, hes 100games started there easily.

I cant take a Healthy Braun and sit him 30+ games. I think games where the RH starter carries a great Slider Thames jumps Braun on those starts. I have my doubts if Braun becomes the 1b on him sharing time in the OF as its thrown on here. Pencil in Yelich 154 games. Santana&Cain in the 150 range. Phillips the rest. Braun only comes in if either of those 3are out and facing a Lefty you hide Phillips from.

Thames youre paid so dont complain when you start less than 70games. Youll pinch hit/be a defensive replacement constantly.

It'll be such a blessing if all 3 of Santana, Yelich, and Cain make it 150+ games. I'm hoping we have the problem of Thames sitting on the bench too much because of that.

My guess is each of the 3 above will have aches and pains that require multiple days off or something along those lines and Braun will be needed in the outfield for multiple days so Thames will get his games in.

I mean, all three achieved that last season. Maybe not in start totals, but it had to have been close. Cain and Yelich yes. Santana 139 starts/ 12 sub in games.

You gotta expect the best and not plan just for the worst. You have depth beyond likely any single ML team for OF. Cain goes down to injury, you have to fill CF with Phillips or Broxton. Yelich I think is going to be a steady every-day starter. Santana then gets Thames the extra games when Braun plays for him.

You also have the expectations to this team vs. last season. You're going in to every game thinking you are a playoff built team. The team needs you to play. Missing a game or two in a row for a bruise or rolled ankle isn't as likely. Last season, it was all just safety precaution, you don't need to force an injury upon someone.

Braun missed 5 games in last 46 of season. 4/45 not counting last unimportant game. Santana it was 6 of final 61 games not counting last game. 2 of those games was a rest day given to both on same day.

I mean, all three achieved that last season. Maybe not in start totals, but it had to have been close. Cain and Yelich yes. Santana 139 starts/ 12 sub in games.

You gotta expect the best and not plan just for the worst. You have depth beyond likely any single ML team for OF. Cain goes down to injury, you have to fill CF with Phillips or Broxton. Yelich I think is going to be a steady every-day starter. Santana then gets Thames the extra games when Braun plays for him.

You also have the expectations to this team vs. last season. You're going in to every game thinking you are a playoff built team. The team needs you to play. Missing a game or two in a row for a bruise or rolled ankle isn't as likely. Last season, it was all just safety precaution, you don't need to force an injury upon someone.

Braun missed 5 games in last 46 of season. 4/45 not counting last unimportant game. Santana it was 6 of final 61 games not counting last game. 2 of those games was a rest day given to both on same day.

Don't forget, there are prospects like Troy Stokes (he'll have us forgetting Harrison and Brinson in no time - I expect great things from him) as well.

I'm with you there on Stokes, maybe not quite Harrison forgetting, but he's that "too short," "Not first 2 rounds" prospect that will just be underrated until he's played a year at the ML level above expectations.

Where are we going to hear about Braun playing 1b in ST games! Hope he fits there.

Just in the outfield, with 162 games, and three OF positions, each of Braun-Santana-Yelich-Cain could get 121 starts, with two games left over. Plus, there are games at AL Parks - 2 at KC, 3 at Minnesota, 2 at Cleveland, 3 at the White Sox.

On those ten games, all four play, no sweat.

So, it's really 152 games, each with three outfielders. Which, if divided equally, means 114 starts in the OF, plus the 10 DH games.

If Thames can give the Crew 125 starts at first, that leaves 27 non-DH games where Braun plays first, and all of Santana-Yelich-Cain play OF. So, we have 93 starts for each, plus 10 DH games, plus 27 "Thames sits" games. That's 130 starts for each, plus three games left over.

If Thames gives the Crew 125 starts, and hits like he did, I'm OK with it.

Archived