Brewer Fanatic

Roster logjam - playing time?

adambr2

With no Santana trade apparently imminent and a lot of ABs to go around, if no trade for Santana, Thames or Braun happens before the season, how does everyone see the playing time being divied up? My thoughts:

Yelich/Cain: These guys are, when healthy and rested, everyday players, Cain in CF and Yelich I would assume in LF most of the time and CF when Cain is off. Based on age and durability I would peg Yelich for 150 starts and Cain for 140.

Santana: Defensive issues aside, he's still the everyday RF if he's on the team. I could see them possibly trying to give him days off against lefty heavy lineups if the opposing starter is RH. I'll guess around 125 games starting in RF and 5 as the DH in AL parks.

Braun/Thames/Aguilar: Gets really tricky here. I have to think if Braun is healthy and reasonably effective defensively at 1st, he's the preferred option over Thames. I'll say 100 starts at 1st for Braun, 12 in LF and 5 at DH. Thames gets 62, all at 1st, and plenty of pinch hitting chances for both. Figures seem low for both guys, but what can you do with only so many starts to go around? Defensively the OF is just way too loaded now to be sticking Thames out in left anymore. I have no idea how they keep Aguilar around. I like him, but how do you justify a third 1st baseman on the roster with no versatility? If he somehow sticks around, I'd have to guess he basically does so in a PH and injury replacement only role.

Phillips: This is another tough one to figure out, because Phillips deserves to be in Milwaukee, but he also deserves to play. Still, you can find about 60 starts remaining for him anywhere in the OF and he would probably be a late inning defensive replacement for Santana on pretty much a daily basis

Broxton: Barring injury, there's just no room left. Fortunately he still has an option so I would guess he spends most of 2018 in Colorado Springs as the first call up when an outfielder hits the DL. If he lights up AAA and Phillips struggles at MLB, it isn't out of the question that they could temporarily switch spots from time to time.

The rest of the roster isn't so complicated to figure out, but I will say that Villar will open 2018 as the preferred option at 2nd and get at least some leash to rebound, at which point Sogard could take on a bigger role if needed. Also, Perez should be far more limited to playing the IF than he was in 2016 and 2017.

Also, most of these totals will be low because injuries can and will happen. It's pointless to try to predict these so I didn't try to.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As it stands, Phillips is wasted on the bench on big league team. Might as well have him play everyday in AAA. Unless Braun is a disaster at 1B, Aguilar is the odd man out in all of this. I think he's out of options so someone probably claims him. Cain and Yelich will play everyday. As much as I hate his defense, Santana should play almost every day only because Braun can't nor should he. His body just can't take it. Thames gets most of the starts at 1B platooning with Braun. Broxton becomes your 4/5 outfielder/defensive replacement/late inning pinch runner. In my mind, Braun should getting the fewest PT of all these people except Broxton only because he can't stay healthy for a full season. I'd rather get 400 healthy PA's from Ryan instead of 600 and him gutting it out through August and September at 75%.

I want Ryan Braun in 95% of the games in August & September ... If you can rest him a lot in the months prior to that, in order to have a good chance at a healthy Braun in the stretch run, I think that'd be wise.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

As it stands, Phillips is wasted on the bench on big league team. Might as well have him play everyday in AAA. Unless Braun is a disaster at 1B, Aguilar is the odd man out in all of this. I think he's out of options so someone probably claims him. Cain and Yelich will play everyday. As much as I hate his defense, Santana should play almost every day only because Braun can't nor should he. His body just can't take it. Thames gets most of the starts at 1B platooning with Braun. Broxton becomes your 4/5 outfielder/defensive replacement/late inning pinch runner. In my mind, Braun should getting the fewest PT of all these people except Broxton only because he can't stay healthy for a full season. I'd rather get 400 healthy PA's from Ryan instead of 600 and him gutting it out through August and September at 75%.

On top of that, when was the last time that we didn't need an injury replacement at some point during the season. Having all four (Cain, Yelich, Santana, Bruan) is huge for the Brewers.

I would phrase the Braun viewpoint not so much as that he 'should' be getting the fewest PT but more that it's likely he'll get the least due to his injury history. If fully healthy he's the best hitter and should play as much as he can. If he has anything lingering, pop in DL and get recovered since we have depth this year.

I think we open the season with Thames, Braun, Yelich, Cain, Santana as the 5 options for 4 spots. We will basically have Perez, Broxton, Phillips and Aguilar battling for 1 remaining spot on the roster(assuming 8 man pen), and I think the obvious choice for the roster is Perez for his versatility. Any given day, we'll have 1 of those 5 guys able to be a quality PH option. I think 150 for Yelich and 145 for Cain. Braun will play 5-6 days a week when healthy with occasional rest days...and Santana will also play almost everyday. Thames will be the guy scraping for starts.

I think we open the season with Thames, Braun, Yelich, Cain, Santana as the 5 options for 4 spots. We will basically have Perez, Broxton, Phillips and Aguilar battling for 1 remaining spot on the roster(assuming 8 man pen), and I think the obvious choice for the roster is Perez for his versatility.

Won't you have room for 2 of Perez, Broxton, Phillips, Aguilar? 13 Ps, 8 position starters, backup C, 1 of Thames, Braun, Yelich, Cain, Santana.

I think it will be Perez plus either Phillips or Keon, mostly depending on how much they value BP playing everyday in AAA vs. having him as another left-handed bat on the bench. Hard to find ABs for Aguilar at this point.

I think we open the season with Thames, Braun, Yelich, Cain, Santana as the 5 options for 4 spots. We will basically have Perez, Broxton, Phillips and Aguilar battling for 1 remaining spot on the roster(assuming 8 man pen), and I think the obvious choice for the roster is Perez for his versatility.

Won't you have room for 2 of Perez, Broxton, Phillips, Aguilar? 13 Ps, 8 position starters, backup C, 1 of Thames, Braun, Yelich, Cain, Santana.

I think it will be Perez plus either Phillips or Keon, mostly depending on how much they value BP playing everyday in AAA vs. having him as another left-handed bat on the bench. Hard to find ABs for Aguilar at this point.

You are missing Sogard.

Really the key to all of this working is Braun at least being passable on D at 1B. If not, they have a dilemma. Being that the other 1B are Thames/Jesus, he doesn't have to be very good on D to be in their ballpark since those two are very average to poor imo. So it shouldn't too hard, but you never know. Hope he looks adequate/good in Spring Training or everyone knows they'll be fairly desperate to move Santana.

Really the key to all of this working is Braun at least being passable on D at 1B. If not they have a dilemma. Being that the other 1B are Thames/Jesus, he doesn't have to be very good on D to be in their ballpark since those two are very average to poor imo. So it shouldn't too hard, but you never know. Hope he looks adequate/good in Spring Training or everyone knows the'll be fairly desperate to move Santana.

You make a good point. It would be very risky to put Braun in at 1b in spring training games and have him potentially flail around and look terrible. Other teams would see it, see our dilemna, and we'd lose all leverage.

Really the key to all of this working is Braun at least being passable on D at 1B. If not they have a dilemma. Being that the other 1B are Thames/Jesus, he doesn't have to be very good on D to be in their ballpark since those two are very average to poor imo. So it shouldn't too hard, but you never know. Hope he looks adequate/good in Spring Training or everyone knows the'll be fairly desperate to move Santana.

You make a good point. It would be very risky to put Braun in at 1b in spring training games and have him potentially flail around and look terrible. Other teams would see it, see our dilemna, and we'd lose all leverage.

We're talking about a guy who is athletic, was a SS in college, and came up as a 3B. Granted he was exposed as a bad 3B once he hit the majors, but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to handle playing 1B on a regular basis. Thames isn't near the athlete Braun is, and he made the transition successfully. Braun playing a passable 1B is the least of my worries with the team right now.

Generally agree. But he's 34 and is at risk of straining a muscle any time he moves, and hasn't had to play IF in over 10 years. It should be fine and they must have some confidence in it or they wouldn't have gotten this far, but that is still the key to all of it. Albeit one that is likely going to be work out.

Here's another way to look at it. We can look forward to these guys not starting in the OF 229 times:

Broxton-113

Perez-61

Thames-18

Franklin-13

Brinson-12

Villar-6

Nieuwenhuis-5

Sogard-1

Then Aguilar and Walker started 59 games at 1B. Give those to Braun (95 starts last year)

Broxton and Phillips end up as AAA depth.

Using last years' starts, that leaves 480 starts out of 486 possible.:

Yelich-155

Cain-151

Santana-138

Braun-36

One other option could be to work Santana at first as well. Go with Yelich-Cain-Braun in the outfield, Thames as a reserve.

Or, option both Phillips and Broxton, and use Santana as the 4th outfielder. He's played mostly right, but the Crew did use him in center when he was acquired in 2015, and a little in 2016.

Braun will get a lot of starts from Thames if he can handle 1b. Thames is a bit of a regression candidate, and I wouldn't be surprised if Braun is the better fielder. Agility and especially reach make a difference at 1b.

Phillips gets the shaft because Braun will also get some starts in the corners when Santana or Yelich sits. He'll also start in left when Cain sits, with Yelich playing center on those days. Perez has a roster spot because of his versatility, so he'll be the emergency oufielder. So yeah, I guess Phillips is in AAA.

I don't see a spot for Aguilar no matter what. I think Broxton spends most of the year in AAA if they don't get anything worthwhile in a trade.

I think 2b is Villar's to lose, but Sogard will get plenty of starts against RHP's. Villar is still better from the right side for his career, despite last year's deviation from that.

Perez will spell a number of guys against LHP's. Sometimes Shaw or Yelich, but also Villar if he doesn't bounce back at all. Sogard is the backup SS for now, but Perez can do it too.

I love the versatility on the roster but it will be a bit of a disappointment if they don't find a taker for Santana.

One other option could be to work Santana at first as well. Go with Yelich-Cain-Braun in the outfield, Thames as a reserve.

Or, option both Phillips and Broxton, and use Santana as the 4th outfielder. He's played mostly right, but the Crew did use him in center when he was acquired in 2015, and a little in 2016.

I thought I remember seeing that the Astros had tried Santana at 1B, and it ended up being an out-and-out disaster?

I thought I remember seeing that the Astros had tried Santana at 1B, and it ended up being an out-and-out disaster?

Major and minor league stats show no first base playing time at all.

Cain, Santana, Perez, and Yelich all have played CF. I'll option both Broxton and Phillips in a heartbeat.

The key to that, IMO, is to be able to deal Aguilar. The Rays may be an option (they have a young LF/1B type in Joe McCarthy, a lefty with good OBP skills, some power, and minor-league options). The Mariners as well (I like James Pazos as a piece for the bullpen, kind of a lefty version of the Corey Knebel of 2016).

Major and minor league stats show no first base playing time at all.

Cain, Santana, Perez, and Yelich all have played CF. I'll option both Broxton and Phillips in a heartbeat.

The key to that, IMO, is to be able to deal Aguilar. The Rays may be an option (they have a young LF/1B type in Joe McCarthy, a lefty with good OBP skills, some power, and minor-league options). The Mariners as well (I like James Pazos as a piece for the bullpen, kind of a lefty version of the Corey Knebel of 2016).

Almost positive the Santana to 1B thing was a failed Spring Training experiment. I'd be happy to pick up a useful pen arm for Aguilar, though.

This would all be solved with a Stearns trade. Santana or Aguilar. If he doesn't pull one off I'll be really disappointed for the first time with him. The chance to use a redundant quality piece (Santana) to get a piece of need back (SP or elite RP) has to be used. Or secondary decent redundant piece (Aguilar) to get a decent RP.

Hope Stearns hasn't overplayed his hand and left us with this (sort of) mess.

If no trades are made & everyone is healthy coming into the season I'd look to divvy it up something like this...

1B: Thames (110) / Braun (52)

LF: Yelich (120) / Braun (42)

CF: Cain (136) / Yelich (26)

RF: Domingo (136) / Braun (26)

That's Thames (110), Braun (120), Lo/Do (136 each) & Yelich (146).

Plenty of playing time for all five.

(Would be even more games to go around with 162 DH)

I am really confused by why having so many good players is a "mess". I mean, I get it that playing time will be harder for Counsell to do but it is a great problem to have. Phillips and Broxton can go get better at AAA, Aguilar can go try to find a different home or accept a AAA assignment, and Thame can become a great bench bat for us. And guys like Sogard and Perez? The minute they aren't Brewers I will probably forget that they even exist.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived