Brewer Fanatic

Hosmer to the Padres

MVP2110
Who has to assume who is not THAT stupid? Is Cameron assuming ownership is not that stupid? I'm not calling Cameron stupid... his stupid would be tapping his article where he called this exact guy the biggest FA landmine. They've sucked for a good long time and have lots of prospects for sure. Probably won't change this year. You have to laugh about that article and his position today.

Who has to assume who is not THAT stupid? Is Cameron assuming ownership is not that stupid? I'm not calling Cameron stupid... his stupid would be tapping his article where he called this exact guy the biggest FA landmine. They've sucked for a good long time and have lots of prospects for sure. Probably won't change this year. You have to laugh about that article and his position today.

The “can’t assume stupid” is about the Padres would hire Cameron and then just spend on overpriced free agents every year over his head with how they’ve been smart leading up to this.

This was a PR move by the Padres. I don’t think they’re dumb enough to crash into the iceberg by making this a regular thing. They have a cheap roster otherwise and they were willing to overpay Hosmer as all of their guys start to hit the bigs that haven’t already. If those guys are all failures...well, then they still had their $140 million elder statesman to appease themselves and fans.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What is Cameron's role in the front office? I mean it's not like he's the GM. Aside from editing Fangraphs he was never even a huge stat expert really, I doubt his role is that significant.

Cameron was hired as a research and development analyst. Sort of helping build a deeper analytics department for SD.

What is Cameron's role in the front office? I mean it's not like he's the GM. Aside from editing Fangraphs he was never even a huge stat expert really, I doubt his role is that significant.

Probably not. My point is that I don’t think this is a normal thing for the Padres.

They used some of the luxury of an impending cheap payroll to slide a likely overpay in. They tanked and did that international signing bonanza a few years ago. Doesn’t seem like they’d suddenly turn into a team that is going to make moves like this consistently.

Cameron is r&d. I'm real happy for him. Jumping from the internet to the good ole boys world is a hard jump.

It's totally a pr move. But you cant tell me that if you penned an article saying this guys the biggest oops in the fa market... and the team that just hired you is fighting for him... that news of this signing wouldn't leave you applauding the big addition with a smile like a good soldier... but going back to your office, sitting down and pulling out your hair wondering if you just took a job with a clown show, or if you are wasting your time...and thinking FML before standing up and tossing a plant at the wall.

That's where I'd be. That's funny! And brutal.

Good Luck batting in San Diego with about 60 less PAs batting in the NL. He'll be lucky to beat 2.5 War calling SD his home. Someone called our staff Garbage, you want a garbage staff-Here it is the 2018 San Diego Padres. Poor infield defense will only make Hosmer's Defense look worse. Never should this guy have been given a contract over 5years.

Cameron is r&d. I'm real happy for him. Jumping from the internet to the good ole boys world is a hard jump.

It's totally a pr move. But you cant tell me that if you penned an article saying this guys the biggest oops in the fa market... and the team that just hired you is fighting for him... that news of this signing wouldn't leave you applauding the big addition with a smile like a good soldier... but going back to your office, sitting down and pulling out your hair wondering if you just took a job with a clown show, or if you are wasting your time...and thinking FML before standing up and tossing a plant at the wall.

Clown show? Again, maybe what they’ve built the past 2-3 years in tanking and international spending will bust, but it’s not like this proves San Diego (today, as we stand) is like playing for Herb Kohl’s Bucks where he meddles in every move to try to get the 8 seed.

The Padres just tanked and seem to be making shrewd moves up until this one, which pretty clearly is a one-off.

Clown show? Again, maybe what they’ve built the past 2-3 years in tanking and international spending will bust, but it’s not like this proves San Diego (today, as we stand) is like playing for Herb Kohl’s Bucks where he meddles in every move to try to get the 8 seed. The Padres just tanked and seem to be making shrewd moves.

Tanking is easy. FOs who can put more money into int signing due to a low payroll should come out ahead more often there. Using multiple spots to rule 5 guys is a smart way to tank and steal talent for the farm. Drafting can be aided by picking early. All these pluses can point towards being smart and shrewd, but can also inflate their appearance by making the FOs job easier.

Building a team is a different talent. FA and trades are different talents. Nfl guys who can draft have been fired because they botched contracts. They've done a great job in using money and roster spots differently to improve their farm. They got some great picks by being awful. The first signing they make is the new r&d guy's #1 fools gold signing that they paid premium for.

I don't know how he can see that as a good omen. Even if it's a 1-off... why him? It looks like a very risky plunge.

Clown show? Again, maybe what they’ve built the past 2-3 years in tanking and international spending will bust, but it’s not like this proves San Diego (today, as we stand) is like playing for Herb Kohl’s Bucks where he meddles in every move to try to get the 8 seed. The Padres just tanked and seem to be making shrewd moves.

Tanking is easy. FOs who can put more money into int signing due to a low payroll should come out ahead more often there. Using multiple spots to rule 5 guys is a smart way to tank and steal talent for the farm. Drafting can be aided by picking early. All these pluses can point towards being smart and shrewd, but can also inflate their appearance by making the FOs job easier.

Building a team is a different talent. FA and trades are different talents. Nfl guys who can draft have been fired because they botched contracts. They've done a great job in using money and roster spots differently to improve their farm. They got some great picks by being awful. The first signing they make is the new r&d guy's #1 fools gold signing that they paid premium for.

I don't know how he can see that as a good omen.

Most of their good talent is still 2-3 years away and they’re drafting high again this year. I don’t know if this contract will matter that much. It’s a PR move to have a guy be the clubhouse leader as they begin to ascend. By the time they’re hopefully good, the contract will be basically 4 years, $60 million.

Anyways, this argument has dragged on too long. I think the contract is bad but it’s something on the business side of sports and the Padres will stay the course on a shrewd build from here forward.

Then why get better at all this offseason? It's as if they came in going we are going to buy something this offseason. That's a horrible idea to 1 off. You 1 off with a great target. Throw something stupid at machado next year instead... add someone who hasn't been a 2 war guy. Options sucked this year... wait for a good year to buy a pr piece.

It's just a very bad look. If you have budget for 1 20 mil piece make it count. You dont get in a bidding war for a 2 war player. He's getting a lot of money to be a captain.

Then why get better at all this offseason? It's as if they came in going we are going to buy something this offseason. That's a horrible idea to 1 off. You 1 off with a great target. Throw something stupid at machado next year instead... add someone who hasn't been a 2 war guy. Options sucked this year... wait for a good year to buy a pr piece.

It's just a very bad look. If you have budget for 1 20 mil piece make it count.

Machado is going to cost 2-3x as much as Hosmer and won’t give you the benefit of the declining $ at the end. That’s not even close to comparable.

The Padres aren’t going all in this year and they aren’t getting that much better. Their ownership group decided to give up a few yachts for their personal face of the franchise guy that still can be decent in 3-4 years when they need him.

Doing it now also makes the blow soften when it matters. He is affordable in his final contract years. Signing a similar contract 2 years from now makes your known overpay sit right in the key window.

I know Machado will.cost a ton. Doubt it's 63 mil annually but ok. 42 is even pushing it. But he's actually great so he's worth taking a shot at. There are better options for 21/5... heck we landed one. Cubs landed one at 21/6. Even if you don't land one you still wait for the RIGHT one.

The late years? Is he getting 45 mil of his 105/5 this year? If he's good doesn't he bolt on the 39/3? Isn't it a player option? He's also 33-35 at that point.

If the final 3 are a team option I see your point but I still don't like it. If its a player option you only get to keep your fof if he's not worth 13 mil. Waive to Braun.

Basically saying arcia is 1.3 seasons in at the same age hosmer had 2 years. If in 4 years arcia has moved his 2.3 war to 10.1... basically 2 war per season and then has a 4 war season at 27 do you think hes worth 21 mil or are you thinking he's a decent guy who had a career year at 27. Basically if arcia is a 10.1 war guy going into his last arby year I'm going to be disappointed not lining up a mega contract.

I know Machado will.cost a ton. Doubt it's 63 mil annually but ok. 42 is even pushing it. But he's actually great so he's worth taking a shot at. There are better options for 21/5... heck we landed one. Cubs landed one at 21/6. Even if you don't land one you still wait for the RIGHT one.

The late years? Is he getting 45 mil of his 105/5 this year? If he's good doesn't he bolt on the 39/3? Isn't it a player option? He's also 33-35 at that point.

If the final 3 are a team option I see your point but I still don't like it. If its a player option you only get to keep your fof if he's not worth 13 mil. Waive to Braun.

Basically saying arcia is 1.3 seasons in at the same age hosmer had 2 years. If in 4 years arcia has moved his 2.3 war to 10.1... basically 2 war per season and then has a 4 war season at 27 do you think hes worth 21 mil or are you thinking he's a decent guy who had a career year at 27. Basically if arcia is a 10.1 war guy going into his last arby year I'm going to be disappointed not lining up a mega contract.

1. Machado has plenty of risk if his contact issues are not figured out or he loses some mobility.

2. I think the Padres would be estatic if Hosmer was good enough to bolt after 5/$100. That means he probably earned it and is leaving them for the risky years, even if those are cheaper.

All of that said, I’ve stated already: it’s not a great contract. It’s decent timing and an obvious business decision that they won’t keep doing is all I’m saying.

The “can’t assume stupid” is about the Padres would hire Cameron and then just spend on overpriced free agents every year over his head with how they’ve been smart leading up to this.

This was a PR move by the Padres. I don’t think they’re dumb enough to crash into the iceberg by making this a regular thing. They have a cheap roster otherwise and they were willing to overpay Hosmer as all of their guys start to hit the bigs that haven’t already. If those guys are all failures...well, then they still had their $140 million elder statesman to appease themselves and fans.

Or, Cameron said that in his article without actually meaning it, with the hopes it would sway other teams from signing Hosmer. Just playing devil's advocate here a little bit

Ha!... no to the devil's advocate hoop..

I’m so confused on why you care so much about this signing?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Giving Cameron credit for this move is like blaming a mid level accountant for Enron.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wonder if KC is now interested in a cheap LH/RH 1B/DH two-player combo so that Braunie can move to 1B...

Had this thought last night as well. Thames/Aguilar would be good for them.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Giving Cameron credit for this move is like blaming a mid level accountant for Enron.

I originally brought up Dave Cameron solely in an ironic sense because his public comments prior to being employed by the Padres were anti-Hosmer. Not debating where he falls on the totem pole, just obviously an awkward situation for someone when it’s well documented you don’t think particularly highly of a specific player and then the team you now work for goes out and gives the largest contract in franchise history to that player. I think it is pretty clear the Padres interest in Hosmer wasn’t going to be swayed or impacted whatsoever by Cameron in his new Padres role.

In addition to naming Hosmer his #1 free agent landmine, this was Dave Cameron’s tweet after the Matt Adams signing:

Matt Adams got 1/$4M to be a backup. Eric Hosmer is probably getting $100M+. So I’ll just share these career numbers and walk away. fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p…
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I originally brought up Dave Cameron solely in an ironic sense because his public comments prior to being employed by the Padres were anti-Hosmer. Not debating where he falls on the totem pole, just obviously an awkward situation for someone when it’s well documented you don’t think particularly highly of a specific player and then the team you now work for goes out and gives the largest contract in franchise history to that player. I think it is pretty clear the Padres interest in Hosmer wasn’t going to be swayed or impacted whatsoever by Cameron in his new Padres role.

In addition to naming Hosmer his #1 free agent landmine, this was Dave Cameron’s tweet after the Matt Adams signing:

Matt Adams got 1/$4M to be a backup. Eric Hosmer is probably getting $100M+. So I’ll just share these career numbers and walk away. fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p…

Agreed. Wasn't calling you out specifically.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wonder if KC is now interested in a cheap LH/RH 1B/DH two-player combo so that Braunie can move to 1B...

Had this thought last night as well. Thames/Aguilar would be good for them.

Their interest in Hosmer was strictly business (again, I don’t know why). I think they’re going nuclear rebuild otherwise. Don’t think Thames/Aguilar would fit.

I always rooted for Hosmer as he was usually my 1B in fantasy baseball leagues with 20 teams & 20 player rosters when he was the only first basemen left in the 12th round, but that is one insane contract. Here are his most similars on baseball-reference:

Kevin Young (927.0)

Delmon Young (926.7)

Troy O'Leary (926.3)

Willie Upshaw (926.0)

Mike Easler (925.2)

Steve Kemp (924.5)

Alvin Davis (921.1)

Mel Hall (920.7)

Walt Dropo (920.6)

Dan Ford (918.3)

Not the kind of list you want to invest $139M contract, maybe over 42 years... It's still early (with relation to signings this FA season), but I think we've just seen the winner for the worst FA contract this year (and last and probably next). Wow. What an overbay... ah overPay...

Archived