Brewer Fanatic

Twins Trade for Jake Odorizzi

IntentionalHBP

I question whether the discussion here has the same issue that has been brought up in the Lucroy thread right now... if Odorizzi had come up somewhere other than our system, would people be as torn about whether this trade is one that Milwaukee should have made? Yes, he'd be an acceptable option to be the 5. But beyond that, he was the definition of replacement level last year. A guy like that can by definition be aquired for little or nothing. I question whether we have a 'nostalgia' problem with Odorizzi.

And why isn't the Arietta narrative also valid here? Rather than betting on a bounce-back, Tampa's internal evaluators decided that he wasn't worth the trouble, and they likely have closer intel than other organizations. Yes, money was likely a factor as well, but it's noteworthy nonetheless.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I think people are looking at the Cubs rotation that starts with Darvish, Quintana, Hendricks and Lester, and then looks at the Brewer's likely #1 coming out of spring training and realize that the Brewer's best starter would probably be the #5 if he was pitching for the Cubs. Therefore, any warm body with over 200 MLB innings of total experience will look attractive in one way or another (unless you are Wade Miley).

People should look at the bright side, at least the team has two really good left fielders or three really good first baseman depending on where the old, overpaid guy ends up.

I question whether the discussion here has the same issue that has been brought up in the Lucroy thread right now... if Odorizzi had come up somewhere other than our system, would people be as torn about whether this trade is one that Milwaukee should have made?

I think that's a good point. He actually would be an excellent addition to the rotation (considering his cost was a middling minor league systems 31st ranked prospect) as a fill-in until Nelson returns. He has excellent upside, but he doesn't bring much more than we already have except maybe less downside risk. I want to believe that Stearns is focusing on getting a better pitcher before we break camp and until most of the pieces are off the board I will trust his judgement. As long as he stops signing washed up SP to minor league contracts.... :)

You get what you pay for. Gallardo was one of the worst SP in the league, Guerra was horrific, Wilkerson has no experience and IMO meh, and Suter is a long man. Odorizzi is no stud but he's at least a "starting pitcher" in the majors.

I agree, from the Twins perspective there's nothing to dislike. Given a similar potential deal from the Brewers he would've been a great get imo, if the opportunity was there.

Odorizzi, outside of last season has been an effective MLB pitcher. He still gets plenty of swings and misses and could just be an adjustment away from keeping a few more balls in the yard.

I question whether the discussion here has the same issue that has been brought up in the Lucroy thread right now... if Odorizzi had come up somewhere other than our system, would people be as torn about whether this trade is one that Milwaukee should have made? Yes, he'd be an acceptable option to be the 5. But beyond that, he was the definition of replacement level last year. A guy like that can by definition be aquired for little or nothing. I question whether we have a 'nostalgia' problem with Odorizzi.

And why isn't the Arietta narrative also valid here? Rather than betting on a bounce-back, Tampa's internal evaluators decided that he wasn't worth the trouble, and they likely have closer intel than other organizations. Yes, money was likely a factor as well, but it's noteworthy nonetheless.

The Arrieta narrative isn't valid because JO is far cheaper and younger.

I would agree that if the Brewers have other plans to bring in an additional piece to the rotation then Odorizzi wouldn't really have been a good option as I think Woodruff fits that 5 spot just fine.

I would however, taking contract situation into account, prefer Odorizzi over a long-term commitment to Arrieta. I think there's a real chance Odorizzi outperforms Arrieta.

The Arrieta narrative isn't valid because JO is far cheaper and younger.

That basically makes my point, though. He's not commanding a 5 year commitment or $100-whatever million, and they dumped him for next to nothing. Doesn't that flash a pretty big indicator that they might think he's toast?

Odorizzi was trending very badly, I wouldn't have felt good about him in our rotation. It's not like he's this mid rotation starter that he was even 2 years back. Also I'm not sure there was much of a market for him. The Yankees may have wanted him but thats within the division. The Twins are a very savvy front office, they weren't gonna get duped like the Mariners FO in the lind deal.

Mariner's weren't duped.

Lind gave them a so-so season, but they gave up little.

Freddy Peralta is a probable relief ace with a MLB debut of around 2020. Missaki hasn't pitched since the 2015 season. Herrera is still at Low-A Wisconsin.

If Herrera becomes a rotation piece for the Crew, it becomes a bad trade for the Mariners. But if Herrera doesn't make the majors, a reliever five years after the fact isn't a bad price for part of a platoon (the other half was Dae-ho Lee) that provided 34 homers and 107 RBI at first base for the Mariners in 2016.

Freddy Peralta is a probable relief ace with a MLB debut of around 2020. ......

Clancy, I really hope that part in bold was a mistype.

Freddy is already on the 40 man (was added this offseason). If his debut is delayed to 2020, the Crew has just burned 2 of his 3 option seasons with 2018 & 2019.

I really thought Freddy would be in the bullpen at some point this season (either in MKE or with another squad after being part of a trade)...

Freddy Peralta is a probable relief ace with a MLB debut of around 2020. ......

Clancy, I really hope that part in bold was a mistype.

Freddy is already on the 40 man (was added this offseason). If his debut is delayed to 2020, the Crew has just burned 2 of his 3 option seasons with 2018 & 2019.

I really thought Freddy would be in the bullpen at some point this season (either in MKE or with another squad after being part of a trade)...

Well he's 22 this year. They haven't moved him to the pen yet. 22-23 could continue to be see if he can start years making 2020 the debut in the pen.

I could see it. I think it'd be wise to fast track him (like hader) but at his age it's hard to stop looking at him as a starter especially when he's already at 120 ip and his whip looks good. He's 1 year ahead of Hader that way.

Archived